HELP! Smoking/weight loss/ is this healthy?

Options
Hi all

I have had this profile for quite a while now but I never use it. Hopefully I will be making the most of it in the future. I really want to know if what I've eaten so far today and plan to eat later is ok...?

Breakfast - No added sugar muesli with semi skimmed milk

Snack - 90 cal crisps (couldn't do without them!)

Lunch - Wholemeal pitta bread with chicken breast, lettuce, red onion and cucumber. Fat free yogurt

Dinner - Lean pork chop with brocolli and cauliflower

Drinks - Water & green tea

I am trying to stop smoking also so I'm trying to be really careful what goes into my mouth! Later I'll also be doing 15 minutes on the cross trainer, 15 minutes on the exercise bike and 10 minutes on the rowing machine.

Any suggestions to improve what I'm doing would be very welcome!

Replies

• Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    It sounds good. But you might want to get in a brick paced walk. Start with one hour and see if you can do more. Walking is really the best calorie burner - for me anyways

Congrats on quitting smoking. I quit ten months ago. Add me if you would like some extra support.
  • prawnsmummy
    prawnsmummy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I also forgot to mention that I managed to do a 30 min walk during my lunch hour! Congratulations on quitting smoking :) I'm only on my third day but feeling more positive than how I felt yesterday!
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    You can do it. Now I realise that it was all in my head. Just WANT it more than anything else. Keep telling yourself that you WANT it.
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Sounds good!

Awesome job on quitting smoking! I quit 3 years ago and gained 10 pounds in doing so. I found chewing gum helped!
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Hi congrats on the stop smoking
    Are you trying to lose some extra weight or just keep off amy extra you may gain form not smoking?
  • prawnsmummy
    Options
    Thank you all!

I am trying to lose a couple of lbs as well as quitting smoking so I do realise that this will be difficult!
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Quitting the smoking is the best thing you will do for your health IMO, I gained a lot of weight when I gave up in 2007 because I replaced them with peanuts :blushing: Oh who am I kidding, I'd eat anything if it took away the craving. Keeping track of your calorie intake right from the start is a great plan, just don't go to the extreme of eating too little - have a few boiled new potatoes with your tea, say, they are nutritious!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Hi all

I have had this profile for quite a while now but I never use it. Hopefully I will be making the most of it in the future. I really want to know if what I've eaten so far today and plan to eat later is ok...?

Breakfast - No added sugar muesli with semi skimmed milk

Snack - 90 cal crisps (couldn't do without them!)

Lunch - Wholemeal pitta bread with chicken breast, lettuce, red onion and cucumber. Fat free yogurt

Dinner - Lean pork chop with brocolli and cauliflower

Drinks - Water & green tea

I am trying to stop smoking also so I'm trying to be really careful what goes into my mouth! Later I'll also be doing 15 minutes on the cross trainer, 15 minutes on the exercise bike and 10 minutes on the rowing machine.

Any suggestions to improve what I'm doing would be very welcome!
    So what is the total calorie count for this day?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • CMWheeler85
    CMWheeler85 Posts: 10
    Options
    Working out will help you kick the smoking habit. What you could try doing is when you crave a smoke do something like a physical activity instead of taking the time to smoke. I was a smoker only for 4 years while in the Marine Corps but I was able to quit cold turkey by really focusing all my energy on keeping myself occupied with other things.

Another thing and this helped as well. When you get a craving for a smoke try drinking a glass of water. That water will often help curb any physical cravings you might have. Also try making a list of the reasons you want to quit. Keep it in a place you always have access and when the cravings hit read the list while drinking your water.

Best of luck in your journey!
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I didn't add them up but it doesn't look like enough calories, especially if you are exercising for more than an hour. I would add some complex carbs (whole grains, fruit, beans, etc.).
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Congrats on deciding to quit! Just take it one day at a time... Best of luck :)

There are also groups on here which may help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/search?utf8=✓&phrase=smoking
  • rose_gian
    rose_gian Posts: 43
    Options
    Hi there,
    it's probably best if you start logging in your calories. That way you know if you are eating enough or too much. Is there a reason your not tracking your calories?
  • prawnsmummy
    Options
    I know the science behind weight loss is to burn more than you consume but I just HATE working out calories. Tomorrow I will set myself a goal to log everything I consume and of course, log my exercise! :-)
  • rodeooo
    rodeooo Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking. It is possible to lose weight at the same time. You just have to put your mind to it. I quit smoking Dec 17th, after being a smoker for 40 yrs. I used the patches for about 10 days, then my Husband had a stroke and I knew I would never smoke again. I still have the patches but I have never felt the need to use them after that. I have lost 41 lbs since I quit smoking on a 1200 calorie diet and exercise. Track your calories and exercise daily, it really helps. Don't beat yourself up if you go over in calories once in awhile. Eat healthy, keep active and enjoy life and the weight will come off! Well, worked for me anyway and if I can do it at 56 yrs of age, post menopause, and hasimoto's disease......anyone can. Don't smoke, be a quitter!! :)
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Do you know how many calories you should be eating ?
    Drink lots of Lemon water it will help to detox the nicotine out of your body
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Looks pretty healthy however it doesn`t look like it`s going to be nearly enough calories in a day.

Congrats on quitting. It is so hard to do but does get easier each day.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    focus on one thing at at ime
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    yes menu is healthy
  • darkangeljanie
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't quit smoking and try and lose weight at the same time, it's too much at once. I quit smoking in 2009 when I found out I was pregnant but I can't imagine quitting smoking and dropping my calories at the same time, I'd have been stressed and I probably would fail too. Your probably really motivated to do one or both of these things right now but keeping that motivation is tough. I'd say achieve one goal rather then trying to achieve both at once but it really depends on your will power, if you think you can do it, go for it. Be inspired, that will help you stay motivated.
  • RickNeedzToGetShreaded
    RickNeedzToGetShreaded Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    ****, that's like my first 2 meals of the day haha, looks good.