Eating makes me more hungry..

Options
jqh23
jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
Sometimes I try and push back my breakfast or morning snack because once I start eating, I can't stop!

I waited until 830 to have breakfast (I get up at 430 am) and it's only 10:15 and have already had 2 snacks and want lunch already.

What do you do on days where eating only seems to make you more hungry?

Replies

• allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing a lot of "sweet" things in your food diary (both from sugar and artificial sweetener)> For some people, sweet tastes trigger appetite (try cutting back on both artificial sweetener products and things with added sugar). I also didn't see any recording for dinner meals - do you not eat after your afternoon snack or simply not record it. Carbs in general seem a little high relative to protein, but without knowing what if anything you eat for dinner, I don't have the complete picture. You're also eating more calories in many of your snacks than I eat in a meal (and our calorie levels are about the same). The only other thing I can think of is that nursing could be stimulating appetite - can't remember how it was for me - too long ago.
  • jqh23
    Options
    I'm seeing a lot of "sweet" things in your food diary (both from sugar and artificial sweetener)> For some people, sweet tastes trigger appetite (try cutting back on both artificial sweetener products and things with added sugar). I also didn't see any recording for dinner meals - do you not eat after your afternoon snack or simply not record it. Carbs in general seem a little high relative to protein, but without knowing what if anything you eat for dinner, I don't have the complete picture. You're also eating more calories in many of your snacks than I eat in a meal (and our calorie levels are about the same). The only other thing I can think of is that nursing could be stimulating appetite - can't remember how it was for me - too long ago.
    Yes, I have a real problem with sweets.. especially during my TOM which is what I am going through right now.

I just changed the names of my meals to the breakdown it is at right now and so all the previous entries are now all off because of it (I wish they would just make the change from the day i did it =/, I may change it back).

I typically try and limit my artificial sweetener to the 2 sweet and low I use in my morning coffee and then something at night. The last couple days have just not been good for me.
  • Vehicon
    Vehicon Posts: 22
    Options
    Yes, I have a real problem with sweets.. especially during my TOM which is what I am going through right now.

I just changed the names of my meals to the breakdown it is at right now and so all the previous entries are now all off because of it (I wish they would just make the change from the day i did it =/, I may change it back).

I typically try and limit my artificial sweetener to the 2 sweet and low I use in my morning coffee and then something at night. The last couple days have just not been good for me.

I personally find consuming sugar at night makes me hungry an hour or two later. Maybe that's contributing to the problem a bit?
  • jqh23
    Options
    I went back and change the layout of my diary, so now you can get a better idea.

All of my snacks are lumped into one now.. but I really eat that throughout the day. My average day begins at 430 am and ends at 930 pm. I don't eat past 7 pm though.

I think i am just having a hungry day due to my TOM and a long nursing session with my son this morning, which usually doesn't happen on workdays.
  • jqh23
    Options

I personally find consuming sugar at night makes me hungry an hour or two later. Maybe that's contributing to the problem a bit?
    If I consume sugar at night, I am asleep within 2-3 hours, so I do not eat after that.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

I eat more.

OP - are you actually hungry, or is this a psychological need to eat? If it's a psychological need, then fixing it is probably beyond you and any anonymous internet forum.
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I love breakfast but if I eat the wrong things in triggers me to eat more. I find eating breakfast later helps, But it is also what you eat, for breakfast I usually do a protein a carb and a fruit that leaves me feeling satisfied. And just because you feel the desire to eat doesn't mean you are hungry. So after you have had breakfast plan you snack for 3 hours later if you feel "hungry" in between drink some water wait 30 minutes and reassess.

I have heard that about artificial sweeteners to it tells the body that calories are coming and when your body doesn't get anything it signals hunger, so just be aware of it.

Good Luck
  • jqh23
    Options

I eat more.

OP - are you actually hungry, or is this a psychological need to eat? If it's a psychological need, then fixing it is probably beyond you and any anonymous internet forum.
    I am actually hungry.

This isn't a daily struggle.. just something that happened every once in a while. I will have something to eat when I am moderately hungry and then all of a sudden it is gone and I am still hungry.

Today I spaced out my snacks but still hungry.. tummy growling.
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Well I do not do hunger pains! If I feel the hunger in my stomach I ate. lol
    Next time it happens try eating something with more fiber, something that fills the tummy more.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    actually eating does make most people hungry! excellent point...not eating was my ticket!! So go longer in the morning with no food..changed my life!
  • jqh23
    Options
    actually eating does make most people hungry! excellent point...not eating was my ticket!! So go longer in the morning with no food..changed my life!
    I usually do.. I wait til around 9 or 10 to have breakfast when I am up at 4:30.
  • Heidi_11913
    Heidi_11913 Posts: 54
    Options
    Try eating something more than a yogurt---maybe try a few egg whites mixed with ham or cheese---or 2 egg whites, a piece of multi grain toast w/ pb... I like to eat egg whites for breakfast, so then I either switch it up with Southwest Simply Hashbrowns, laughing cow cheese, or a few sausages. I feel like the more protein I get in the morning, the better off I am :)
  • jqh23
    Options
    Try eating something more than a yogurt---maybe try a few egg whites mixed with ham or cheese---or 2 egg whites, a piece of multi grain toast w/ pb... I like to eat egg whites for breakfast, so then I either switch it up with Southwest Simply Hashbrowns, laughing cow cheese, or a few sausages. I feel like the more protein I get in the morning, the better off I am :)
    eggs make me sick... my tummy just can't handle them.

It's greek yogurt, so it has protein in it.
  • jqh23
    Options
    I used to put 6 sweet n low in my coffee!!! 6!! I am down to 2! I am going to switch over to real sugar and drop the flavored creamer and use my son's whole milk. I wasn't tracking sugar and didn't realize how much was in the cream I was using.
  • Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You might be a good candidate for something like 5:2 diet, and on your down day you could avoid eating anything till right before bed or just completely fast that day.
  • jqh23
    Options
    You might be a good candidate for something like 5:2 diet, and on your down day you could avoid eating anything till right before bed or just completely fast that day.
    I looked at that yesterday when I saw it mentioned on the boards, but it's not something that would work for me as I am a nursing mother.
  • peakholistichealth
    Options
    "I used to put 6 sweet n low in my coffee!!! 6!! I am down to 2!"

I was going to comment on the sweet and low, as artificial sugars can do things to your body to repress the "full" feeling and make you hungrier (as a previous poster commented). Ditching this is a great first step.
  • dbmata
    Options

I eat more.

I am actually hungry.

This isn't a daily struggle.. just something that happened every once in a while. I will have something to eat when I am moderately hungry and then all of a sudden it is gone and I am still hungry.

Today I spaced out my snacks but still hungry.. tummy growling.

Oh, well, what I do then is eat more.

I'll take a head or two of romaine and make a salad with a little feta, and a bunch of veggies. Filling, low impact calorically, and then I'll use my favorite dressing on it and call it bueno. Or, a piece of meat.
  • jqh23
    Options
    "I used to put 6 sweet n low in my coffee!!! 6!! I am down to 2!"

I was going to comment on the sweet and low, as artificial sugars can do things to your body to repress the "full" feeling and make you hungrier (as a previous poster commented). Ditching this is a great first step.
    I am so against artificial sweeteners, too! They just seem to be a guilty pleasure for me when it comes to my coffee!

I have been working on getting rid of it.. I think it's time to totally ditch it. I didn't realize I would actual consume less sugar by doing whole milk + real sugar than flavored creamer + sweet n low
  • dbmata
    Options

This is also why I do occasional 2-3 day fasts. It's a mental challenge, and helps me readjust what hungry actually means. Most of us never really get hungry, we get mild discomfort that we then use as an excuse to get a little crazy. Or as the coolkids call it: hangry.