Mind Mirror Tricks

Options
So, I'm down 30+ pounds in 2013 to 183lbs...awesome right?

yeah...about that. The last few weeks I have developed this amazing mental ability to convince myself as I look in the mirror that nothing has changed this year...despite all evidence to the contrary.

Clothes don't fit. Had to buy new belts. Can squeeze out of my car in the tiny parking spots. Short tight little running shorts were falling down the other day on a long run. Comments from people. Big bright neon signs that say "HEY YOU LOST WEIGHT!" All of the normal stuff.

Even with all of this, the Mirror & I have decided recently that we'll just not include any of the above evidence in our relationship and are sticking with our 2012 body image...wtf is that about?

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing! Even though everything is fitting looser, I don't think I've lost a stitch (and I've lost 20 pounds on a 5'1'' frame). Usually I get that feeling in the shower because I don't have a belt loop to convince me otherwise.

I've heard before that it takes more weight loss before people we see on a daily basis to notice, compared to people who don't see us as often (who would notice sooner, at less weight loss). Since we're ourselves, we see it 24/7, so maybe it takes us even longer than that! That probably doesn't make sense the way I wrote it, but I hope you get the gist. xD
  • 58cayo
    58cayo Posts: 26
    Options
    So, I'm down 30+ pounds in 2013 to 183lbs...awesome right?

yeah...about that. The last few weeks I have developed this amazing mental ability to convince myself as I look in the mirror that nothing has changed this year...despite all evidence to the contrary.

Clothes don't fit. Had to buy new belts. Can squeeze out of my car in the tiny parking spots. Short tight little running shorts were falling down the other day on a long run. Comments from people. Big bright neon signs that say "HEY YOU LOST WEIGHT!" All of the normal stuff.

Even with all of this, the Mirror & I have decided recently that we'll just not include any of the above evidence in our relationship and are sticking with our 2012 body image...wtf is that about?

Your past physical appearance is like a personal security blanket, your mind won't let it go. I had a similar experience, unfortunately, mine was opposite. I'd look in the mirror and see the same size girl I always was, until one day while trying on clothes in front of a 3 way mirror, I was forced to see the "present" me. I immediately asked my mom why no one told me that I was fat. Crazy, I know, to have to have someone else point out to you your size, but I did.

Don't look to your mirror for validation, try the tape measure, the scale, try on some of your clothes pre- weight loss then look in the mirror.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Take a picture of your self and physically comparing it with a 2012 pic. That should brake the illusion fast.
  • Tomhoffman84
    Options
    I felt like typing it out so I can see how ridiculous I sound...figured it would help as well haha
  • Fit_Mama84
    Fit_Mama84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 pounds down and STILL have this problem. it's been 2 years since I started losing weight and it's still hard to see myself as anything but the same ole fatty. But I keep working at it. I've done comparison picture, scale, tape measure, clothes....everything. I'm hoping one day it will click.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You're truly not the only one who feels this way. I have lost over 100 pounds in almost 15 months and dropped from a 22 to a 14 (UK sizes) but I struggle to see the difference. So many things prove I have lost this weight, seeing it in myself is a whole different ball game. It will happen, I know it will, it just hasn't quite yet. :-)
  • aschmidt679
    aschmidt679 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I call it my "fat girl mentality"... im down a total of 80 lbs and still find myself fighting the mirror. I walk into stores and pick up XL clothes automatically. Haven't quite figured out how to shake it yet, but I can say that acknowledging my victories out loud (e.g. "wow! these skinny jeans used to be tight, now i have to buy a smaller size!) as often as possible seems to be helping somewhat.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Our mental image of ourselves and how we interpret whats in the mirror is slow to change... but inches, pictures, the scale, clothes, those things don't lie.

Keep reminding yourself of the physical proof that you have of your progress every time you look in the mirror and your brain will jump on the bandwagon too and probably sooner than if you stare in the mirror thinking to yourself that you don't look any different.

Also, weightloss =/= body comp changes. I felt like I looked pudgy at 198lbs and after dieting to lose weight I still felt I looked pudgy at 175lbs... now at just 5-10lbs less weight, I look hard and muscley. Big props to heavy lifting for that difference.
  • leslieschoenle
    leslieschoenle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing amazing! i too have the same issue... Started 2013 weighing 179lbs. at 5'7" and now i'm at 149lbs... even though the scale has moved and my clothes are long gone and past the point of fitting me anymore my mind likes to tell me you look the same... maybe it's a female thing i don't know! if there is any advice please pass it on and good luck and you are doing great no matter what! you are healthier now than before so thats the main thing!
  • leslieschoenle
    leslieschoenle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    by the way i was not calling you a female lol lmao just reread that post and it sounds bad sorry! lol
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost nearly as much, but it is an issue with me. Sometimes I do see the changes, but other times, I don't see a thing. It is a constant battle. I know I have self-image issues so I figured it would be a problem for me and from what I can see, it is pretty common. It just takes our brains to catch up sometimes. :)
  • Tomhoffman84
    Options
    I call it my "fat girl mentality"... im down a total of 80 lbs and still find myself fighting the mirror.

Yup. Fat guy mentality all the way. I still have a little overhang on the belly, so when I run, as I pass cars or other people, I feel like everyone is thinking "haha, look at chubs running!" Meanwhile...I'm running 10, 12, 15 miles at between an 8:30-8:50 pace on my long runs and even though I celebrate every new PR, like a 1:54:00 half marathon split and personal long 15.4 miles this past saturday, that other part is still in my mind.
  • FitToBeKim
    FitToBeKim Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 44 lbs and I still feel like I've lost nothing. I thought I would feel much better about myself but apparently I have a lot of other issues to work on.
    I look in the mirror and see my old self. It disgusts me !
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Ditto here. I'm down 75-ish but see no difference in the mirror. I see a difference in pictures, but I don't recognize the person in the pictures and that sure isn't what I see in the mirror either. Apparently, it just takes time. Idk. I'll let you know if I ever actually see that I'm wearing a size 6 instead of a 24.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    Our mental image of ourselves and how we interpret whats in the mirror is slow to change... but inches, pictures, the scale, clothes, those things don't lie.

Keep reminding yourself of the physical proof that you have of your progress every time you look in the mirror and your brain will jump on the bandwagon too and probably sooner than if you stare in the mirror thinking to yourself that you don't look any different.

Also, weightloss =/= body comp changes. I felt like I looked pudgy at 198lbs and after dieting to lose weight I still felt I looked pudgy at 175lbs... now at just 5-10lbs less weight, I look hard and muscley. Big props to heavy lifting for that difference.

heavy lifting does a body good.
  • Tomhoffman84
    Options
    I'm glad there are a lot of people with higher weight loss totals with similar thoughts...assumed some people who have struggled with their efforts would read this and be like "seriously, stfu."