Do you use a kitchen scale?

Options
Hi,

I was thinking about getting a kitchen scale to measure out food to help keep on track... also I'd use it to weigh mail too so it would help me both ways..

but is it worth getting it to weigh food? do you do it?

Replies

• NakAttack
    NakAttack Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    ABSOULTELY....I measure everything that I eat when I am home. A lot of packages will state that a serving is 1/4cup but I always measure it out in grams! It is worth the investment.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I don't, but I do need to get one. It would definitely help with accuracy. As of right now, I'm just guessing by volume and I know that this will probably cause problems the closer I get to my goal.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I use mine everyday. It's a great investment if you really want accurate food intakes.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Yes, I bought one at a kitchen store close to me. I use it to weigh my foods because I was always 'guessing; how much something weighed and my portions were way off. It was like $20 for a nice digital one and I use mine daily. I'd say it's worth it. :)
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    YES.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I use mine daily. Before I got it the number of times I "estimated" a serving of something I was always way over or way under. They're fairly inexpensive and I consider my digital scale a necessary kitchen tool.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    no but i use a measuring cup and tend to search for food items that are measured that way. I try to leave extra calories on each day to make up for a possibility of bad measuring.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's definitely worth it. This is the one I have and I would recommend it http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Silver/dp/B001N07KUE
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I want one but I can't find one. I am still looking.
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Absolutely!!!! It will amaze you how off your estimates can be. Makes a difference!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yes. Best $20 I've spent.
  • Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Recently got myself a good electronic scale and it's great. However, I don't use it for everything because I think it's easy to get obsessive. If I have a handful of mushrooms I don't care if it goes down as 80g, 100g, whatever, the difference in calories is so minute.
  • worldsbestauntie
    worldsbestauntie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I got one last week. I got the cheapest one Walmart had. Bad idea. It is NOT digital and the markings are in kg and lbs. I find it hard to weigh something in grams using the itty bitty lines on the scale. I will be investing a new digital one that weighs in grams next time I'm to Walmart.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I use one for anything that doesn't have a serving size as a volume measure. Measuring cups and spoons for those. It's worth it. If nothing else, you learn what a serving of X really looks like (not your guesstimate) so you can estimate better when you eat out.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    YES!! I weight and measure everything except greens--there's just not enough calories in them to worry about two cups or 2 1/2 cups. I think most people are very unrealistic or just uneducated about true portion sizes and become quite shocked when they begin to weigh and measure.

My husband tried to tell me he was eating 1 1/2 cups of cereal a day, the reality was that it was closer to 3!

ETA--Mine is digital and can weigh both pounds/ounces and grams. I can also reset it to zero with a plate or bowl on it and then add the food to get an accurate weight without putting the food directly on the scale.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I use mine for everything. I have almost done away with measuring cups, since my digital scale measures everything. A scale is the best weight loss tool you can have in your kitchen.
  • shellbatronic
    shellbatronic Posts: 193
    Options
    It's a really great investment, some of the best money I've ever spent. Make sure to get a digital one, that does both oz and grams. On mine you can pull out the piece with the display on it in case you want to put extra big bowls or plates on there and you can still see the display, that's useful. Super valuable piece of kit!
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I use mine for everything. I have almost done away with measuring cups, since my digital scale measures everything. A scale is the best weight loss tool you can have in your kitchen.

How do you measure liquids?
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I have one but only use it occasionally. I try to be mindful of what I'm eating, but I don't want "dieting" to rule every moment of my life. I think it is very valuable to use it for a while, at least, until you get a better sense of portions. I look at it as a learning tool. For me, it's not sustainable to use long term, though I respect those who choose to use it every day. Depends on your approach.
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Most definitely worth it. It makes it easier. I put my cereal bowl on the scale before turning it on. So when you turn it on it doesn't count the weight of the bowl, then just pour in cereal until it is a serving size. Much easier than measuring with measuring cups. Also most helpful when eating meats such as pork chops or steaks. I highly recommend it.