I'm stuck and need motivation and guidance!

Options
Hi everyone, I'm completely new to the message boards. I started with MFP at the end of February. When I started I was seeing not incredible results, but at least some. Then I completely stopped losing. After a couple of weeks I decided to try doing the points thing. I was excited the first week because I lost 3 pounds but after two more I stopped losing again. All in all I have been stuck at the exact same weight for almost 4 weeks now. Needless to say, I am frustrated. My original goal was to lose 30 pounds from February to June 10 (my Bday), but I think that goal is out the window at this point. Now I just want to lose anything. I work out at least an hour 4-5 days/week mixing up cardio, weights, aerobics, and step so I don't get bored and my body doesn't get too comfortable with any one thing. I just can't seem to find the right number of calories to eat to lose. I feel like I'm not eating enough calories but I am stuffed all the time and am honestly not sure how to get in more. I also don't know if I should be eating the calories I burn working out or not. ANY advice, insight or anything is greatly appreciated. I was so excited just now reading all the comments and seeing all the amazing results you all are having. It's just incredible! Thank you so much! :smile:

Replies

• Eggwhitecrazy
    Options
    Sounds so frustrating as you are clearly dedicated! I am new here but some ppl have been opening their food diaries and there are lots of experienced MFP'S out there who I am sure could help you.

All I can say is don't ever give up...a girl on here I forget who (sorry!) posted that we forget about all the changes happening inside too and focus too much on the scales...all the effort will pay off!

Keep it up it'll be worth it in the end because when you figure out the food you'll already have the fitness and then you can melt the pounds!
  • campbellbx
    campbellbx Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? And yes you can eat back your workout calories its up2 you I perssonaly try not to unless I realy feel the need. Have you taken any measurements as you maybe lossing inchs and not weight. Dont get to disheartened we all feel like this at some point.x
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    To help you figure out what you should be eating, have you used a calorie defecit calculator to figure out how many calories you should be eating? I have used the one at: http://www.fitwatch.com/qkcalc/caloriedeficitcalculator.php. Very helpful!!! You should probably be eating back your exercise calories. You should be eating something every 2 hours. If you go much longer in the day, then your body is probably hungry. A good suggestion is to eat a serving of nuts, protein, yogurt, etc between meals. Also, make sure you are drinking plenty of water. You don't list your height, weight or age and you have kept your diary private, so I have nothing else to suggest.

I have almost lost 30 pounds and have been at it since the first of the year. I have also hit a plateau of sorts and so I am adjusting things as well. It is frustrating, but I am not giving up!!! The benefits to getting healthy outweight my frustration!

Good luck!
  • missdanna07
    missdanna07 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It has my goal at 1630 but when I do the calorie calculators online they say more like 1800. That is without the workout ones added in.

Oh, I know about the frustrations! I've been heavy most of my life, but when I have decided to do something about it in the past I haven't had a problem losing as long as I stick to it. Now I'm sticking to it and not losing! So crazy! :smile:
  • missdanna07
    Options
    Yes, I think MFP may have me eating too few possibly? The calculators I have used said more like 1800. I eat at regular times (I have a 1 year old and 3 year old so we all eat snacks and meals at the same time) usually 8 for breakfast, 10 snack, 12 lunch, 3 snack, supper at 6. I don't drink anything but water and usually get in between 6-8 bottles per day.

Congratulations on the 30-that is awesome! I can't wait to get there! Don't give up, you are doing so great! I'm not going to give up either. Even though the scales frustrate me so, I feel MUCH better and keeping up with my girls is easier even with what I've lost.

Thank you!
  • gabinonunes
    gabinonunes Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

That will give you a good estimate of how many calories you should consume for fat loss based on age/height/weight/amount of exercise.
  • Hodgie12345
    Hodgie12345 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    IMHO its not the calories; its the exercise. One hour might be enough - if you are totally wet through with sweat, can hardly breathe, muscles aching, shouting 'never again' and then lifting heavy. But I would hazzard a guess that your 'exercise' session is really only a warm up ? Hodgie x
  • missdanna07
    Options
    Oh my goodness, it said over 1900 and I'm doing around 1500-1600. Grr..

Thank you for the info!
  • missdanna07
    Options
    IMHO its not the calories; its the exercise. One hour might be enough - if you are totally wet through with sweat, can hardly breathe, muscles aching, shouting 'never again' and then lifting heavy. But I would hazzard a guess that your 'exercise' session is really only a warm up ? Hodgie x
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Hmm for me it has been more of the quality of food I eat as oppose to the calorie # itself. Once I cut out soda and sugary drinks (except for coffee lol),cutting back on salt and sugar it dramatically changed everything :) Try maybe changing up your work out routine too :) It takes a while to fig out what your body will respond to ya know? Especially if you have never tried to full commit to getting healthier. Don't give up and keep going doll! xo
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    TDEE - 20%

Food scale to accurately measure intake.

Those are things that made me start going in the right direction.

That, and a strong push.
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options

Thank you for the info!

I was stuck for a month. Doing hard cardio for almost 4 months straight. I did not eat back my calories. Then I switched to weights, ate more, and boom. Down 3 after a weekend of drinking beer and eating more than I should have. Who knows...seems to me the body just needs to be shocked. Without seeing your cals and exercise, its hard to know. Just don't give up. Ever.
  • missdanna07
    Options

Sorry, new to this didn't know how to quote.

Nope, I work my butt off every day. I either do a mile on the treadmill at a 4.0 and then 2 miles on the elliptical at a good pace or do high impact aerobics, step or conditioning. I'm always soaked in sweat by the time I leave. The only thing I'm going easy on right now is the weights as I want to lose weight and not gain a bunch of muscle right now, but I know lifting is important too. I have been a gymnastics coach for over 15 years, I know how to work out and to accomplish everything I want as far as toning, I just can't get my body to lose the fat after having two babies with one being a c-section. Thanks for the reply and giving a suggestion though, I appreciate all of them!
  • missdanna07
    Options

Thank you for the info!

I was stuck for a month. Doing hard cardio for almost 4 months straight. I did not eat back my calories. Then I switched to weights, ate more, and boom. Down 3 after a weekend of drinking beer and eating more than I should have. Who knows...seems to me the body just needs to be shocked. Without seeing your cals and exercise, its hard to know. Just don't give up. Ever.

I'm guessing I just have to eat more. That just seems so backwards to me it's hard to wrap my brain around I guess. Thank you for your message!
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Keep going... you will get there I have been here for only a few months and not losing as quickly as I thought I would.... but I am finally starting to move the scale downward... you can do it...
  • missdanna07
    Options
    Hmm for me it has been more of the quality of food I eat as oppose to the calorie # itself. Once I cut out soda and sugary drinks (except for coffee lol),cutting back on salt and sugar it dramatically changed everything :) Try maybe changing up your work out routine too :) It takes a while to fig out what your body will respond to ya know? Especially if you have never tried to full commit to getting healthier. Don't give up and keep going doll! xo

I struggle with this. I eat healthy food but it doesn't have that many calories so I try to figure out how to get more calories but not eat bad things. I stopped drinking Dr. Pepper back in February and have no more than one can of Sprite per week and only drink water otherwise. I'm not sure on my salt. I don't cook with it, but was doing the points thing and doing a lot of their frozen meals. May need to check on that. Thank you!
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    http://www.builtlean.com/2012/05/22/weight-loss-plateau/

Try this article. It covers a lot of useful information.

Sometimes it just takes a little longer to figure out what is the right way to do it for you. Everyone call tell you what works for them, but only you can figure out what works best for your body.
  • jasontcurtis62
    Options
    I agree with this post 100%, I too have cut out all of the CRAp processed garbage in my diet and have seen major results. I truly hope you find a balance, I know what you are going through.
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options

I struggle with this. I eat healthy food but it doesn't have that many calories so I try to figure out how to get more calories but not eat bad things. I stopped drinking Dr. Pepper back in February and have no more than one can of Sprite per week and only drink water otherwise. I'm not sure on my salt. I don't cook with it, but was doing the points thing and doing a lot of their frozen meals. May need to check on that. Thank you!

Good foods you can add are: Peanut butter, avocado's and nuts. They all have a good amount of calories and are all good for you!!

Good Luck!!
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    looks to me like you have lost 18 pounds in @ 10 weeks. I wouldn't call that stuck. If it is, I wish I could could get stuck too!! My scale hasn't moved in over two weeks, but I know I am doing the same things I have always been doing and sooner or later the scale will move. . Be patient and keep working. It will work.