Potatoes vs. Whole Wheat Bread vs. Brown Rice

Options
I know that when losing weight and keeping it off, it's best to avoid these three items. But if one has to choose, which is the best nutrition-wise to eat sparingly?

Replies

• OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    iz confuzed. i eats all dem
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I know that when losing weight and keeping it off, it's best to avoid these three items. But if one has to choose, which is the best nutrition-wise to eat sparingly?

"You know" wrong. You do not need to avoid those three items to lose weight and maintain said lost weight.

The only factor to losing weight = calorie deficit.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Potatoes, less anti nutrients
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I ate all of them while losing weight. I eat whole wheat bread every day with my lunch. I eat potatoes whenever I'm in the mood for them. And I like brown rice with chicken & veggies or stuffed in peppers.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You do not need to avoid them.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I've had all three of those things within the last week.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    You don't need to avoid any of them to lose weight or to keep it off. I eat potatoes and/or bread (both white and brown) just about every day. Rice, I have less often as I don't like it as much.

Add them into your diary. Look at the calories and other nutrients. See how they fit in with your personal nutrition goals, and you'll have your answer.
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I've eaten all three of these on a regular basis (well, the wholewheat bread/brown rice more) and lost 60lbs. Unless you have a specific reason for not eating those, I wouldn't restrict them unnecessarily. Maybe switch white potatoes for sweet potatoes, but really, as long as you're losing, I wouldn't sweat it.
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I eat them all. Actually that's a lie. I don't like brown rice...so I eat white rice, when we have it. :tongue: Tonight, I even had a big plate of pasta...but it all fit in my calories for the day, with room to spare :happy:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Potatoes
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid those, why would I? I eat them all the time.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want to live in a world where I couldn't eat potatoes, honestly. So many delicious dishes would be out of reach.

Why do you feel like you can't eat them? If it fits in your macros, it ships...err, I mean, eat it.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    These are all good things to eat while losing weight! I'm actually eating more potatoes than I did before as part of my commitment to healthy eating. I do tend to avoid bread just because there are other things that I would rather spend my calories on :)
  • bongochick45
    bongochick45 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Say whhaaaaaa..... Brown Rice good. White Rice bad. Whole wheat bread-good. White "enriched" bread-bad. Potatos.....YES PLEASE! Nom Nom Nom. Esp Sweet Potatos. Eat them girl. Everything in moderation.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. There is no reason to avoid these foods unless you dont like them or they will put you over your calorie goal.

If you like them, learn to fit them into your diet.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

Huh? I eat them all, it's never hindered my progress. Eat a variety of foods, stay in your calorie goal, log everything consistently, get some exercise, drink lot's of water, treat yourself in moderation. Don't deprive yourself and avoid restrictive diets!!!!!!!
  • Acg67
    Options
    Say whhaaaaaa..... Brown Rice good. White Rice bad. Whole wheat bread-good. White "enriched" bread-bad. Potatos.....YES PLEASE! Nom Nom Nom. Esp Sweet Potatos. Eat them girl. Everything in moderation.

To quote you say whhaaaaa, white rice is bad, whole wheat is better than white enriched?
  • GetNew81
    GetNew81 Posts: 26
    Options
    UGH! There's so much conflicting information about carbs, I don't know what to do! How about "If it's white or fried, run and hide"?
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I eat these all the time and am losing. I eat red potatoes, idaho potatoes, brown rice, white rice, and all sorts of multi-grain breads. Have been from the start, and I have lost....um....well just look at my ticker.
  • Acg67
    Options
    UGH! There's so much conflicting information about carbs, I don't know what to do! How about "If it's white or fried, run and hide"?

Yup, cauliflower is the devil, makes you insta fat