Potatoes vs. Whole Wheat Bread vs. Brown Rice

Options

Replies

• notdebby
    notdebby Posts: 58
    Options
    I'm on a diet that calls for avoiding all three of these. I don't do wheat or brown rice at all. My husband and I are on a very low carb diet because he has blood sugar problems but because of thyroid and adrenal issues on my part, I can't do the 20 to 35 grams of carbs a day he's doing. I need closer to 60 to 70 to feel okay. I need to keep myself just this side of ketosis and I've read that that's about the threshold. I'm still losing weight but If I need to up my carbs a little for a meal I might have a couple of tablespoons of white rice or half a small potato.
  • GetNew81
    GetNew81 Posts: 26
    Options
    Wait, is that a joke? I thought cauliflower is good for you? Isn't that why folks use it as a substitute for mashed potatoes?
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I ate all of them while losing weight. I eat whole wheat bread every day with my lunch. I eat potatoes whenever I'm in the mood for them. And I like brown rice with chicken & veggies or stuffed in peppers.

this. And sweet potatoes :)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    UGH! There's so much conflicting information about carbs, I don't know what to do! How about "If it's white or fried, run and hide"?

I just ate a plate of white pasta covered in alfredo sauce with shrimp, so I certainly hope this isn't true. And I sprinkled parmesan top!

Have I gone wrong?
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    UGH! There's so much conflicting information about carbs, I don't know what to do! How about "If it's white or fried, run and hide"?
    Unless you have an allergy to those foods, or an intolerance, or you have a specific medical condition that requires you eliminate them or cut down on them... there's nothing wrong with carbs. Some people without allergies/intolerances/medical conditions choose to go low carb because it helps them to reduce cravings etc, but many, many people successfully lose/maintain weight while eating lots of carbs, including the white ones.
  • Ghlt4
    Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I eat potatoes, brown rice, and whole wheat bread. It's not hindered my weight loss.
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I think the only reason you can not eat these things is if your body can not tolerate it.
    I have lost weight eating all of these, love brown rice, whole wheat bread and potatoes.
    Sweet potatoes are even better.
    Enjoy
  • GetNew81
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I began this journey on Weight Watchers two years ago. For the first year and a half, I initially lost around 90 lbs. Then I plateaued for many months. Now I've regained 10 lbs. much to my dismay and sadness.

I've been trying to figure out where I went wrong and have been wondering if avoiding these three items might help as I've heard from friends and others who have cut them out all together in order to lose weight.

So if I eat these in moderation and keep them under my caloric intake, I should be good?

Has anyone here gotten close to losing 100 lbs. (my ultimate goal) and still found it was okay for them to eat these things?
  • GetNew81
    Options
    I know that when losing weight and keeping it off, it's best to avoid these three items. But if one has to choose, which is the best nutrition-wise to eat sparingly?

"You know" wrong. You do not need to avoid those three items to lose weight and maintain said lost weight.

The only factor to losing weight = calorie deficit.

I've been perusing the boards for some time now and keep seeing that phrase: "calorie deficit." What does that mean?
  • BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Avoid dem fruutz. Dey haz sugarz.
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options

Yup, cauliflower is the devil, makes you insta fat

Cauliflower covered in sarcasm will get you every time.
  • GetNew81
    Options
    Thank you. I remember hearing a researcher on NPR last year say that one shouldn't eat potatoes more than once a week in order to lose weight.
  • notdebby
    notdebby Posts: 58
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I began this journey on Weight Watchers two years ago. For the first year and a half, I initially lost around 90 lbs. Then I plateaued for many months. Now I've regained 10 lbs. much to my dismay and sadness.

I've been trying to figure out where I went wrong and have been wondering if avoiding these three items might help as I've heard from friends and others who have cut them out all together in order to lose weight.

So if I eat these in moderation and keep them under my caloric intake, I should be good?

Has anyone here gotten close to losing 100 lbs. (my ultimate goal) and still found it was okay for them to eat these things?

I know I mentioned in my post that I avoid wheat and brown rice but that's because of the adrenal and thyroid issues. If you don't have problems with those, I think you're probably okay having them in moderation. Can't help you with the 100 pound loss though. My goal is closer to 50 pounds. I'd like to wish you good luck in your endeavor.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Wait, is that a joke? I thought cauliflower is good for you? Isn't that why folks use it as a substitute for mashed potatoes?

Yes, he was joking. Cauliflower is good for you. So are potatoes, brown rice and WHOLE grain wheat bread. If the ingredients say "enriched" flour, it's not as healthy as whole grain. All of these foods contain complex carbohydrates, which break down more slowly in your system, contain more fiber and keep your blood sugar more even than simple carbs.

The secret to weight loss and maintenance is calories, not specific foods. Carb laden foods contain more calories, as do high fat foods, so you can't have as much of them as you can green vegetables and things that are low carb / low fat. Log your food and stay within your calorie levels and you'll find the right balance for you of all foods.
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m5razu9ZGB1rwcc6bo1_250.gif
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a metabolic disorder (ie. PCOS, insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes, etc.) or an allergy/intollerance, those things should NOT prevent weight loss.

Simply eat at a caloric deficit to your TDEE. Easy as that.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I remember hearing a researcher on NPR last year say that one shouldn't eat potatoes more than once a week in order to lose weight.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-potatoes
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

Cauliflower is fantastic for you and has a lot of micro nutrients, it is vitamin soluble so you are best to stir fry or steam or even raw. It is known to help protect against some form of cancers.

Potatoes are also a vegetable and are good for you they contain vit c and fibre and are classed as an energy food. They contain resistant starch which helps your digestive system and has a protective stance against high cholesterol and cancer.

There is no reason why you should not eat bread unless you have a wheat/gluten allergy.

There is no reason why you should not enjoy any of these foods, they are not your enemy?

Personally I do not eat rice because I don`t like the texture.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

Well, I haven't lost 100, but a little over 85, and honestly I eat lots of carbs every day. On a pretty much daily basis, I eat brown and white bread, potatoes, white pasta and chocolate. Less often, but still regularly, I eat white rice, ice cream, biscuits (cookies), couscous and rice noodles. I never had any plateaus while I was losing and have been maintaining for nearly 6 months.

Some people are more successful cutting down on carbs, for whatever reason. It seems to me though that you lost 90 lbs without cutting these things out. They can't be the sole reason you gained 10 lbs back. You could cut them out now, and you might lose a chunk of water weight (carbs hold onto water), but it doesn't seem that you should need to cut them out.
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'd be so sad if I couldn't eat my potatoes/rice/bread and I've been successful with weightloss eating them daily. Everything in moderation!