Cauliflower Oatmeal

Options

Replies

• melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Oh please dear God tell me this is a joke. I've seen so much weird *kitten* passed off as alternative recipes that I just don't know any more. :sad:
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    OMG brilliant!!! I wonder if this would make a good refrigerator oatmeal as well?!?! I LOVE OVERNIGHT OATS. Usually you make them with greek yogurt, oats and refrigerate overnight. I'm going to swap the oats for cauliflower next time I make this!! YOU HAVE JUST SAVED ME A TON OF EVIL CARBS!! Bless you!! :flowerforyou:

I don't think this will turn out well. The whole reason overnight oats works is because the dry oats soak up all the liquid from the yogurt and milk and become soft, much like cooking them in warm water does. Cauliflower, on the other hand, really has to be heated to become tender so you'll either a) have crunchy cauliflower floating in your yogurt if you use uncooked or b) be eating cold, and likely very mushy cauliflower still floating in your yogurt. Neither sounds really appealing to me.

Also, carbs are not evil, and the oats are just about the best form of grain out there. Slow digesting, lots of fiber, and a fair amount of protein for a grain. You could do a lot worse.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    6bf0ee79-3c4a-41d8-b1fb-319649c246f1_zpsd4660654.jpg
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am just gonna say it - that sounds repulsive - but you get points for being creative

No need to be rude. Cauliflower has a natural sweetness that can be enhanced by adding brown sugar and cinnamon. Eating low carb is tough, but worth it.

Not to be rude, but.......Um, HELLO!!! Brown sugar is a CARB! You should know that by now. I NEVER use brown sugar on MY cauliflower oatmeal. Duh. :noway:

Um, sugar is not a carb, it is a sugar. Check your Nutrition facts. It has Carbs listed THEN sugar. Seperately.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am just gonna say it - that sounds repulsive - but you get points for being creative

No need to be rude. Cauliflower has a natural sweetness that can be enhanced by adding brown sugar and cinnamon. Eating low carb is tough, but worth it.

Not to be rude, but.......Um, HELLO!!! Brown sugar is a CARB! You should know that by now. I NEVER use brown sugar on MY cauliflower oatmeal. Duh. :noway:

Um, sugar is not a carb, it is a sugar. Check your Nutrition facts. It has Carbs listed THEN sugar. Seperately.

My bad. :embarassed:
  • whierd
    Options
    OMG brilliant!!! I wonder if this would make a good refrigerator oatmeal as well?!?! I LOVE OVERNIGHT OATS. Usually you make them with greek yogurt, oats and refrigerate overnight. I'm going to swap the oats for cauliflower next time I make this!! YOU HAVE JUST SAVED ME A TON OF EVIL CARBS!! Bless you!! :flowerforyou:

I don't think this will turn out well. The whole reason overnight oats works is because the dry oats soak up all the liquid from the yogurt and milk and become soft, much like cooking them in warm water does. Cauliflower, on the other hand, really has to be heated to become tender so you'll either a) have crunchy cauliflower floating in your yogurt if you use uncooked or b) be eating cold, and likely very mushy cauliflower still floating in your yogurt. Neither sounds really appealing to me.

Also, carbs are not evil, and the oats are just about the best form of grain out there. Slow digesting, lots of fiber, and a fair amount of protein for a grain. You could do a lot worse.

No you want fast digesting Cauliflower so you can start burning fat right away instead of carbs! Overnight caulimeal doesn't work unless you want Cauli-Granola.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Yeah but oatmeal has some benefits which this doesn't have. I mean cauliflower is good for you but it doesn't clear out your cholesterol or stick to your ribs....

Ummm if your oatmeal is sticking to your ribs maybe you should see your doctor. That doesn't sound healthy at all. :flowerforyou:
  • whierd
    Options
    Yeah but oatmeal has some benefits which this doesn't have. I mean cauliflower is good for you but it doesn't clear out your cholesterol or stick to your ribs....

Ummm if your oatmeal is sticking to your ribs maybe you should see your doctor. That doesn't sound healthy at all. :flowerforyou:

It is what carbs do. :frown:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Carbs CAN be evil. Everybody's different.
  • DorkMatter
    DorkMatter Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I suggest you take a look at the wikipedia page for sugar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar). It is most definitely a carb.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    If you put it in your mouth instead of on your chest then it won't stick to your ribs. smiley-music024.gif
  • whierd
    Options

I suggest you take a look at the wikipedia page for sugar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar). It is most definitely a carb.

Wikipedia is not peer reviewed.
  • Cp731
    Options
    cauliflower-catnip.jpg

Sprinkle some of this on it, for emotional uplift.
  • dressagester
    dressagester Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    EDIT: why am I even here? :noway: I love cauliflower but am ****ery-intolerant.
  • Born_2_Lose
    Born_2_Lose Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I actually dry out a head of cauliflower and then pulverize it to make cauliflower cinnamon! It would be great with this!

OMG! this is too funny:laugh:

LOL!!!! ROTFL
  • whierd
    Options

Not sure if serious.... but my mind is imploding from the irony of the brown sugar/low carb connection.

... and why am I even here. :noway:

You people are so rude!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,687 Member
    Options
    Next up, cauliflower pasta.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Cp731
    Options
    Cauliflower-Banner.gif

Nothing beats full service!
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I was clicking on this post to say "CAULIFLOWER ISN'T THE ANSWER TO EVERYTHING IN THE UNIVERSE!!11!!1" but then I realized it was a troll post.

tumblr_mbpd81mRs11rstddl.gif
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Oh dear God - it's real!

http://www.madronawellness.org/2/post/2012/09/cauliflower-oatmeal.html

Just goes to show that you can't even make up more batsh!t crazy alternatives than some people make in all seriousness.

Cauliflower Oatmeal

Ingredients:

1 cup "riced" cauliflower (see instructions below)

1/3 cup organic, whole coconut milk (if you don't have this you can use raw or organic whole milk, or almond milk)

2/3 cup filtered water (or less, depending on desired consistency)

2 large organic egs

1 tbsp ground flax seeds

Cinnamon to taste

Sea salt to taste

Other optional spices: cardamom, ginger, orange zest, vanilla...be creative!

Choice of optional sweeteners: powdered stevia, grade b maple syrup, raw honey

Choice of toppings: berries, nuts, fresh fruit, shredded unsweetened coconut

Preparation:

First of all, this is how you make cauliflower into a rice-like consistency: I use my Vitamix, but you can use also a hand grater or food processor. Cut off the stems (unless using a vitamix, and then use the whole thing), and break into pieces. Mix with just a bit of water and process or grate until chunky/rice-like.

In a saucepan, add riced cauliflower, coconut milk, and a bit of water (if desired). Over medium heat, cook until cauliflower is tender, anywhere from 5-10 minutes. Add whisked eggs, flax, cinnamon and other spices. Also, at this point you can add sweetener to taste, then simply serve in a bowl with desired toppings!