Food Pyrmid broke down

Options
Hello,
I thought this was a great way to explain things more simply to those of us that are just starting out or anyone that doesn't know much about how we are "supposed to" eat and where and how to get the nutrients our bodys need: (This came in an email to me this morning..)

If you don't get enough carbohydrates, you run the risk of depriving your body of the calories and nutrients it needs, or of replacing healthy carbs with unhealthy fats.

To get the carbs you need, fill your plate with the best carbohydrate sources for your body:

* Whole grains like barley, bulgur, buckwheat, quinoa, and oats
* Whole-wheat and other whole-grain breads
* Brown rice
* Whole-wheat pasta
* Fruits and vegetables
* Beans, lentils, and dried peas
* Whole-grain cereals like 100 percent bran

This doesn't mean that you're never allowed to have a sweet treat for dessert, a bowl of white rice, or a baked potato. It just means that those should be the exceptions instead of everyday carbohydrate selections.

At the same time, you should also avoid loading up on complex carbohydrates or making them your primary source of calories. A diet too rich in even complex carbohydrates — or in any food — packs more calories into your body, which eventually leads to weight gain.

Complex carbohydrates are good for you, so don't look at a bowl of hearty whole-wheat pasta or brown rice as a bad thing or a big diet no-no. Instead, consider it a source of healthy fuel that your body needs to maintain consistent energy.

I hope to try to put this to better use in my eating habits and hopefully it helps someone else here too! :)
Hugs,
Jennifer

Replies

• ana70
    ana70 Posts: 93
    Options
    Great information! I once was on Atkins and my brain was so foggy from lack of carbs. Good stuff!:heart:
  • Lilliesmom2010
    Options
    Great information! I once was on Atkins and my brain was so foggy from lack of carbs. Good stuff!:heart:

Me too!! I lost 16 lbs in 2 weeks but I was so drained and starving all the time!! NEVER do that again!!
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing :flowerforyou: bumping this for later :bigsmile:
  • dawnsant
    dawnsant Posts: 44
    Options
    I think I follow most of those rules. My rule of thumb is no mammals and nothing white. I remember when it was hard to find anything other than bread that was wheat, but now you can get pasta and everything in wheat. Watch out for the pasta that says "veggie' because most of the time, it is just food coloring! Thanks for the info.