Eating & Still Feeling H U N G R Y

Options
This always happens to me when i eat a healthy meal with less carbs, after I've finsihed my whole meal I'm still hungry. I have tried the snacking on 100 calories snack (cookies & applce sause), drinking tones of water (& all the water accomplished me needing to pee)

So my question is 'how to curb hunger when you've already eaten?!' :grumble:

Replies

• AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Eating small meals doesn't work for everyone. If you want to eat tiny meals throughout the day, fitness pros stress drinking 1 or 2 full glasses of water before every meal. If you don't like doing that, you could try doing something more natural. Eat until you are full but only eating once or twice a day. Most people who do this follow an eating window of around 8 consecutive hours. So that means you can eat lunch and dinner in that window but you can't eat breakfast and dinner. Basically, you're just skipping breakfast.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Aside from water......water.

Fruits and veggies are good carbs. Not sure if you are limiting those, but the good outweighs the bad when it comes to them. You can also increase your protein. That always helps me stay full longer. Without an open diary, we can't really tell much.
  • tarakizer
    tarakizer Posts: 52
    Options
    Make sure your healthy meals are high in fiber and/or protein. That's what makes you full. You are probably eating healthy food that is low in these but high in other great things. You need the fiber and/or protein to stick with you longer.
  • lomajess
    lomajess Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I opened my diary, I have been having issues with eating properly & I just cant seem to do it for long. I've noticed my sugar intake is always over than what it should be.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    eat a bigger meal with the biggest portion being veggies
    drink ice water
    exercise
    i eat .................. i eat my snacks...................
    and d o my exercise and have caleries left
    chioose snacks that wioll fill you up

foods that fill you up-
    oatmeal, potatoes. soup, eggs, oranges popcorn. beans, peanuts, salad.
    fruits,
  • tarakizer
    Options
    The problem with tracking your sugar on here is that they aren't excluding the sugar in fruits and other things that are considered okay. It's the added sugar that's the problem.
  • tarakizer
    Options
    So I've just now looked at your diary, and yeah you aren't eating properly if you want to lose weight. You are eating too many very high calorie things, which are not leaving you enough room to eat other things that would make you satisfied/full. I eat all day long, and I can do that because of what I am selecting. I pair a high protein or high fiber item with each fruit/veggie snack. That gets me to the next meal, and I do splurge by going out to eat all the time. But I still select things that will fit into my caloric budget for the day as well as my hunger budget or whatever you want to call it.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be blunt, for effect, not b/c I'm a mean person

EAT SOME ****ING VEGETABLES.

If you were to make say 200-300 calories a day from greens such as zucchini, broccoli, kale, collards, chard and other veggies like mushrooms, cauliflower, etc you'd be a lot more satiated.

Veggies are where you get volume. Anyone on a low calorie diet w/o eating veggies is making it harder on themselves.

I see very few veggies in your food diary .... like the amount of veggies you consumed in the past week is what you should eat per day imo .... at least to solve the satiation issue
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to take at least some of the calories you're drinking and turn them into food. You can lose weight eating foods you like, but instead of 400 calories worth of pepsi you could have a small meal which would be more filling.
  • kajungrill
    kajungrill Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have lost about 2lbs a week since I've been back on mfp 167start and now 18 days later I'm 160 lbs. I eat a truck load of food daily but its a lot of veggies. I'm not going hungry, I am also always high in the sugar category however, most of my sugar intake comes from fruit and veggies. After looking at your diary I'd suggest taking a look at what you are drinking, add some veggies and when you're craving something high calorie or fast food eat half the order, add some healthy stuff and give half to your little one + do extra exercise. That is what I've been doing and it's working so far :) Remember, Watch what you drink. Good luck to you!
  • honoralexandria
    honoralexandria Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    FWIW, there's a LOT of processed foods in your eating habits. Those are the hardest to remove from a diet because they contain lots of things our bodies become addicted to: MSG, high fructose corn sryup(HFCS), heavy carbs (which your body will literally become addicted to, along with HFCS), white bleached flour.

Unfortunetly, those same things are high in calories but low in *nutrition*.
    Others have said it, you want to look at more fruits and veggies, especially veggies. Veggies are going tohave high fiber, to help keep you full and low calories. The sugars in fruits and veggies are better for you too as you tend to use those sugars much more efficiently than white sugars.

What this means, effectively, is less eating out, more cooking at home. With kids, I realize that's difficult, so try to swap out one meal a day for a home made meal.

My current favorite thing is quinoa. Easy to make, high protein, medium calories, fiber, and can be super tasty. You can cook it in a rice cooker and don't have to even think about it.
    I've made the following at least twice this week:
    1 cup quinoa (uncooked, rinsed)
    2 cups low sodium chicken broth
    1 Tblsp olive oil
    1-2 cups chopped veggies (onion, celery, carrots, bell pepper, zucchini, mushrooms my prefence, but use what you want)
    herbs to taste.

Put all that in a rice cooker, press the on button and leave it alone. Seriously easy, and about... 300 calories for one serving (about one cup/ or one-quarter of what is made). When t's done I also put a bit of chopped almonds, and it still is under 400 calories but very filling.

I see you have a love of coffee, and I do too! But I noticed, for myself, my coffee was "Costing" me a lot calories and sugar. I typucally only drink coffee with cream/sugar, no frappucino things, and even then my coffee was taking up about 200 calories. Just SEEING that made me tone down the sugar and cream, and honestly, I don't notice anymore. Now it's more like 150 calories.
    If you go to starbucks for lattes, you can also request skim milk, and the sugar free syrups. I typically don't like the sugar free ones myself, but they are good at reducing calories. You just have to be careful what you order. If I get something other than a regular coffee for example, it's either a caramel macchiato or vanilla latte, with skim milk instead of 2%. With that modification, both of those drinks are 200 calories, which isn't much worse than my normal coffee. But you compare that to a latte with whole milk, or a frappucino, you're looking at 400 calories or more of something that's not going to help your hunger at all.

So, sometimes a little change can make a big difference.

Make little changes and little substitutions and keep at it! Eventually you'll notice you don't even want or like the processed foods that much. I find that nowt hat I eat out less (I also don't eat out much due to other dietary issues I have but that's another story), when I do eat out, I don't think it's very good... my own cooking is usually better and I know exactly what's going into it.

That's not to say you shouldn't or can't ever eat out, but reducing it will make a big difference.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    if you're eating less carbs. then where is the protein? why are you eating quick oats if you want to be full?

eat rolled or steel cut oats, they are much more filling, and the oats don't have to be boring either.
    I almost never eat just oats with sugar. throw some nuts and brown sugar, or some other
    flavor you like. tons of recipes for great tasting oats on the recipe forum.

you need more protein. it will take a little bit of experimenting on your part to see what feels right to you,
    but mfp protein is ridiculously low, for anyone. Try 100g of protein a day.
    You may need more than that to feel satisfied, but it may be an adjustment at first
    getting used to eating more protein.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    This always happens to me when i eat a healthy meal with less carbs, after I've finsihed my whole meal I'm still hungry. I have tried the snacking on 100 calories snack (cookies & applce sause), drinking tones of water (& all the water accomplished me needing to pee)

So my question is 'how to curb hunger when you've already eaten?!' :grumble:

I took a quick look at your food diary for the past couple of days. Are you logging everything? If so, you aren't eating very much and are skipping some meals.

You could also pick food that is lower in calorie and higher in bulk so you don't get as hungry. For example, one cup of broccoli has only 30 calories and will fill you up. If you're busy, or don't like to cook, or aren't sure how to meal plan, do some research into foods that fit your lifestyle.

Eat full meals, have an apple or a boiled egg for a snack, and your hunger should go away. I think of eating all my meals as protection against hunger -- so I'm not miserable and looking for junk food or whatever I can find, which is how my weight got out of control.
  • hrhboo
    hrhboo Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting a healthy journey! This a good start. First of all, you aren't eating foods that have much nutritional value, which leaves your body starving for nutrients despite you eating all of your calories. This is why you're hungry, and trying to fill up on 100 calorie servings of yet more junk isn't going to help. Cut down on fast food and empty calories from sugary drinks. Eat more lean protein, chicken breast, turkey, fish etc. Add whole grains and veggies for lots of fiber, and low fat dairy and eggs. You can eat way more than you're eating now if you focus on the right foods.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Have you considered eating more food? Idk, that's what I do when I'm hungry.
    And I'm not being sarcastic. If I'm hungry I eat.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I went back to look at your profile and saw that you work, go to school at night, and have a small child. That's a tough lifestyle. I work and go to college part-time, plus have pets (no kids), but you are probably twice as busy as I am.

I survive by meal planning. My diet base is brown rice, lentils, and vegetables (I vary those), with some fish once or twice a week. I chose food I know I will eat -- your diet can be totally different, the point is picking nutritious food that you know you will eat and that is easy to put together. Stay away from processed food -- it has crap in it that will make you gain weight and will cause cravings.

I spend several hours on the weekend shopping, preparing plastic bags with chopped veggies, and cook enough rice and beans for several days. That means I can open the fridge at any time and there is at least one meal in there that I can heat up. I don't like to cook, so I picked food I know I will eat and can put together in a few minutes.

Think about nonprocessed food you and your child will eat and do some meal planning and meal prep ahead of time. In the long run it will save you all kinds of time and stop you from heading to McDonald's and other places with high calorie food that leaves you hungry. You can do it! :)
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I can write you a book of ideas. pm me if you want. i spent 6 years in community college going to school full time and raising my kids the rest of the time.

there's a lot you can do that's really simple.
    get a slow cooker.
    make your dinner in there as much as you can.
    then when you get home, dinner is ready to go.

shredded chicken made in the slow cooker can be turned into anything
    tacos, enchiladas put it in your salad, make BBQ chicken sandwiches....to name a few.
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Most of the food you are eating has little to no nutrients. Your body is hungry for nutrients which is why a 100 calorie snack pack of cookies won't do the trick. Focus on eating more nutrient dense foods such as vegetables, leafy greens, eggs, fish and other proteins. Your body needs real food; the only thing cookies, sugar and Domino's will do for you is cause you to eat more and more of the same crap and doing so will never satisfy your body's craving for nutrition, thus trapping you in a vicious cycle.

It does seem like you have a very hectic life so good for you for choosing to take steps toward getting healthy :)
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Totally understand the time constraints with working full time, going to school full time and having a young child. There are lots of things you can do to keep on track with losing the weight on your schedule. I found that if I pack a couple of apples in my bag, it's a life saver. Almonds or other nuts are a good go to snack and they are filling - keep a ziploc bag of them (they are high calorie so portion accordingly). Second the oatmeal - it's quick to make and is pretty filling. Boiled eggs are my new favorite food - I boil them the night before, peel them and put them in a ziploc bag. They are a good breakfast for those crazy days.
  • honoralexandria
    honoralexandria Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hollisgrant has some great points and ideas about pre prepping and planning. I ment to bring that up as well. ... doing prep and pre cooking on the weekend or really any one day you have extra time, will go a long way.