Toning

Options
13»

Replies

• soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    you just described muscles firing.

I am not sure why I expected better. I figured if you agreed or disagreed with my position you would at least respect the fact that I am giving you my best interpretation of the evidence at hand and drawing a logical conclusion from that. Then you would respond in turn telling me where you agree and disagree and from that we could determine if any adjustments needed to be made.

After all you were the one that told me that I did not know what I was talking about and challenged me to support my position. I somehow thought that was because you were also booked up on this particular subject and perhaps you had a perspective I had not considered. I guess you didn't expect me to say anything in response.

Based on the vacuous nature of your response and the complete lack of indication that you have even read anything I have written I will assume that you are in fact the one who does not know what you are talking about. You have given me know reason to believe otherwise and think your remarks were made for no other reason than to be incendiary.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,645 Member
    Options
    Wait are you kidding me? It's incorrect to say "tone" but "tone up" is perfectly fine with you? Where are you, Australia? I have never in my entire long life heard anyone speak of "toning UP" muscles in my part of the word. Maybe these fine points are just a distraction when MFP has members from all over the world.
    Time you learn correct terminology then. I've explained why the word was devised. You don't "lean and lengthen" (a term used for pilates and yoga alot) a muscle. You can lose fat and not build muscle though, but that doesn't sound as appealing. Use whatever floats your boat, but like many inaccuracies about weight loss, information that's incorrect that gets passed on, doesn't make it correct.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    "Toning" isn't a thing. Are you trying to gain muscle or lose fat?

It's only "not a thing" for people looking split hairs over semantics.

We all know what the OP was essentially asking.

I think the point of her post wasn't to split hairs but rather to educate the OP that muscles cannot be 'toned'.

Oh really?

I'd say you can tone muscles from a strength training programme combined with a calorie controlled diet.

"Tone" is just a word.

Exactly and the words we use change meanings all the time, look at street talk for example.

I've no idea why some people take such offence to the word 'tone'.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,645 Member
    Options

Muscle tone is a real thing and it is affected by the exercises that you do. I don't know who decided to tell the MFP community that muscle tone is a myth but it was wrong then and it is wrong now. Muscle tone is a real thing. There is no ambiguity here.
    They are completely wrong.

to·nic·i·ty
    [toh-nis-i-tee] Show IPA
    noun
    1. tonic quality or condition.
    2. the state of bodily tone.
    3. Physiology . the normal elastic tension of living muscles, arteries, etc., by which the tone of the system is maintained.

tone[tohn] Show IPA noun, verb, toned, ton·ing.
    noun
    Physiology .
    a.the normal state of tension or responsiveness of the organs or tissues of the body.
    b.that state of the body or of an organ in which all its functions are performed with healthy vigor.

hy·per·to·ni·a
    [hahy-per-toh-nee-uh] Show IPA
    noun Pathology .
    increased rigidity, tension, and spasticity of the muscles.
    One can have muscle tone. But if we go by just the definitions mentioned above, "toning" (in other words lifting weights)
    ISN'T a normal state of tension nor do you hear people speaking of hypertoning their muscles.
    If you're sticking to definitions, then "tone" is a descriptive state. It by no means defines "toning" as a form of exercising muscle tissue.

IDEA Fitness member
  • soldier4242
    Options

Muscle tone is a real thing and it is affected by the exercises that you do. I don't know who decided to tell the MFP community that muscle tone is a myth but it was wrong then and it is wrong now. Muscle tone is a real thing. There is no ambiguity here.

to·nic·i·ty
    [toh-nis-i-tee] Show IPA
    noun
    3. Physiology . the normal elastic tension of living muscles, arteries, etc., by which the tone of the system is maintained.

noun
    Physiology .
    a.the normal state of tension or responsiveness of the organs or tissues of the body.
    b.that state of the body or of an organ in which all its functions are performed with healthy vigor.

hy·per·to·ni·a
    noun Pathology .
    One can have muscle tone. But if we go by just the definitions mentioned above, "toning" (in other words lifting weights)
    ISN'T a normal state of tension nor do you hear people speaking of hypertoning their muscles.
    If you're sticking to definitions, then "tone" is a descriptive state. It by no means defines "toning" as a form of exercising muscle tissue.

IDEA Fitness member

Well we do derive new words from our daily use of them. Our language does grow and change over time as a result. In a colloquial sense "toning" is an acceptable way of saying that you are wanting your muscles to appear more defined or "cut". The word "cut" has more than one definition as does the word "definition" some of these definitions don't have anything to do with fitness. So I think it is almost axiomatic that toning is a very real word which will become more cemented over time.

I applaud your efforts to ensure that proper terminology is used and I fully endorse and agree with the sentiment. I simply disagree with this one particular point. If I were working with you in a professional capacity I would do my best to refrain from using the word toning since their are other words that can be used to convey the same meaning.

I also agree that word games should not be used as a means of scamming people out of their money. I simply feel that it was the fault of the con artists and not the words themselves. I have read other posts of yours and you have a lot of good information to share with the world. Don't waste your mind fighting this fight. The march of progress will continue and this word is already recognized by many.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I liked the Jamie Eason LiveFit Trainer because it had the whole plan for 12 weeks, eating and exercise and all of the workouts could be completed in an hour and I think most of time it was 4-5 days per week.
    It's free on bodybuilding.com and they have videos on that site to show you how to do exercises.
    Diet is most important to drop body fat as I am sure everyone has pointed out!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Apologies for my wrong wording Im not an expert. All I want to do is turn the excess fatty tissue areas ie my muffin top and the inch on my inner thigh etc that wont shift through diet as I dont want to lose weight. I dont want to build muscle either, I want to convert the fat into muscle

You can't convert it. Again, maybe it's semantics. But you can't convert fat into muscle. That's like turning an apple into an orange. You can replace it. You can lose the fat and strengthen the muscle. Here again, semantics will have people saying that you can't build muscle while in a calorie deficit. Which is true. But you can gain strength. You can improve your muscles. So you aren't turning those apples into oranges, you're throwing away the apples and stocking up on oranges.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options

to·nic·i·ty
    [toh-nis-i-tee] Show IPA
    noun

noun
    Physiology .

hy·per·to·ni·a
    noun Pathology .

IDEA Fitness member

Well we do derive new words from our daily use of them. Our language does grow and change over time as a result. In a colloquial sense "toning" is an acceptable way of saying that you are wanting your muscles to appear more defined or "cut". The word "cut" has more than one definition as does the word "definition" some of these definitions don't have anything to do with fitness. So I think it is almost axiomatic that toning is a very real word which will become more cemented over time.

I applaud your efforts to ensure that proper terminology is used and I fully endorse and agree with the sentiment. I simply disagree with this one particular point. If I were working with you in a professional capacity I would do my best to refrain from using the word toning since their are other words that can be used to convey the same meaning.

I also agree that word games should not be used as a means of scamming people out of their money. I simply feel that it was the fault of the con artists and not the words themselves. I have read other posts of yours and you have a lot of good information to share with the world. Don't waste your mind fighting this fight. The march of progress will continue and this word is already recognized by many.
    Using big words and complete sentences doesn't mean you know what you're talking about...

it's a real word. But it means nothing. Saying you want to tone is the SAME THING as saying you want to lose body fat. THAT is why the word is so wrong and phoney, because it's used as a way to scam and fool people. most people know by now that you cannot spot reduce. So to avoid saying 'This ab machine will reduce fat in your stomach' you instead get 'this machine will tone your stomach'. It's saying the same thing, except the latter doesn't sound 100% BS. But it's still 100% BS. Thats the problem.

And again so this point sticks home, what you're talking about with toniciy has NOTHING to do with this conversation. Congrats, you just discovered what a homonym is.
  • AmberB519
    AmberB519 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    http://stronglifts.com/

Monday, Friday do workout A, Wednesday do workout B. Rinse, repeat.

StrongLifts 5×5 Workout A
    Squat 5×5
    Bench Press 5×5
    Barbell Rows 5×5

StrongLifts 5×5 Workout B
    Squat 5×5
    Overhead Press 5×5
    Deadlift 1×5

This, to which I would add, Youtube videos for proper form. Start with just the bar for each thing, add 5 pounds everytime you go into the gym, and make sure that you're eating enough, and get plenty of rest for repair.

Sorry to butt in! :P What is the rest time between each set? Do you finish all five sets before moving on to the next? Or do you rotate? Gracias!
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    http://stronglifts.com/

Monday, Friday do workout A, Wednesday do workout B. Rinse, repeat.

StrongLifts 5×5 Workout A
    Squat 5×5
    Bench Press 5×5
    Barbell Rows 5×5

StrongLifts 5×5 Workout B
    Squat 5×5
    Overhead Press 5×5
    Deadlift 1×5

This, to which I would add, Youtube videos for proper form. Start with just the bar for each thing, add 5 pounds everytime you go into the gym, and make sure that you're eating enough, and get plenty of rest for repair.

Sorry to butt in! :P What is the rest time between each set? Do you finish all five sets before moving on to the next? Or do you rotate? Gracias!
    depends. Generally 2-5 min. The more you can lift, the more rest between sets you will need.

And it's not a superset. So once you finish one movement, you then move to the next.
  • cayman05
    cayman05 Posts: 5
    Options
    Muffin tops are hard. You could sit ups all day long and still have it.....sorry. With that said here is my 2 cents.

Order of exercises: Start with large muscles and multi joint exercises
    1. Squat or lunges: if you do not know proper form you should learn it; Biggest mistake ppl make they bend more at the knee and do not use their hips. You need a level of flexibility in your hamstrings to do squats (can you touch your toes?). Please make sure your knee does extend over your toe(s) for either squats or lunges. For lunges also make sure the shoulder and hip are in alignment....in other words the movement is vertical.....can't stand it when ppl lean forward doing lunges (puts stress on your back)

2. Modified push ups (either on your knees or on a set of stairs): Key here is not to retract the scapular, which could lead to shoulder damage. Look two feet in front of you not to stress vertebrae and if you can't get a full range of motion bend at the hip for push ups on your knees or go further up on the stairs (go more vertical).

Form is everything! Both there exercise are considered multi joint exercises. You will need to add about 6 more exercises, but these are the ones ppl have the most problems doing correctly. However, they are very good exercises because you work a number of muscles at once. Good luck and if you need any help let us know,
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    arguing-on-the-internet-gif.gif
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have been going to the gym but I feel as if I dont know what I am doing. I want to tone up all areas, especially my stomach, inner thighs, streamline my waist and "muffin top", my inner thighs. Can anyone please help me develop a workout plan to stick to so when Im in the gym I can follow it? Im reasonably fit but not strong, weight 110 pounds so not overweight just looking to tone up!

Thanks in advance!

I knew this girl once who "over-toned" herself... and the doctors said it was actually dangerous for her and there was nothing she could do because she had "inner-toning" already at which point it's irreversible. Be careful with the toning!!!!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options

to·nic·i·ty
    [toh-nis-i-tee] Show IPA
    noun

noun
    Physiology .

hy·per·to·ni·a
    noun Pathology .
    Muscle tone refers to a muscle's tension at rest. "Toning" is a word used by people that want to sell you something and then repeated by women who see and hear these advertisements.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    As long as it is a blueberry muffin top then that is OK ...
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I like OP told everyone to **** themselves 3 pages back yet everyone is still arguing over tone.

At least MFP is never boring.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I like OP told everyone to **** themselves 3 pages back yet everyone is still arguing over tone.

At least MFP is never boring.
    e7a9f235a6302d557817d0b2252074ff_zpsdb3abdde.jpg
  • curds
    curds Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    arguing-on-the-internet-gif.gif

came to check out the comments on this post fully expecting a "fight" and look what I found a jewel of a gif!
  • soldier4242
    Options

to·nic·i·ty
    [toh-nis-i-tee] Show IPA
    noun

noun
    Physiology .

hy·per·to·ni·a
    noun Pathology .

IDEA Fitness member

Using big words and complete sentences doesn't mean you know what you're talking about...

it's a real word. But it means nothing. Saying you want to tone is the SAME THING as saying you want to lose body fat. THAT is why the word is so wrong and phoney, because it's used as a way to scam and fool people. most people know by now that you cannot spot reduce. So to avoid saying 'This ab machine will reduce fat in your stomach' you instead get 'this machine will tone your stomach'. It's saying the same thing, except the latter doesn't sound 100% BS. But it's still 100% BS. Thats the problem.

And again so this point sticks home, what you're talking about with toniciy has NOTHING to do with this conversation. Congrats, you just discovered what a homonym is.

Using big words and complete sentences does not mean I know what I am talking about. I could be completely lost with regard to a subject and still do that. While we are at it a person could be well versed on a subject and still use small words and incomplete sentences. We have to examine the actual content of what the writer is trying to say. So score one for you!. :drinker:

You then say it is a real word but it means nothing. So we should not expect your next sentence to imply that it has a meaning. What was your next sentence?

"Saying you want to tone is the SAME THING as saying you want to lose body fat."

There is a logical inconsistency in your arguments. You can't say that something means the "SAME THING" as something else while at the same time claiming that it has no meaning whatsoever.

I have already agreed that word games should not be used to scam people out of their money. However, marketers will always look for ways to word things so that their products end up sounding better than they are. They misuse other words as well. For example best, scientific and miracle are incorrectly used by advertisers all the time. I would even go so far as to say that those transgressions are worse.

You said "again so this point sticks home" and I am not sure why. I haven't been harping about tonicity as though it were the keystone of my argument. All I did was list its definition. I listed the definition of the several words. I was illustrating that muscle tone is a real thing and I went back to some of my old text books to get definitions that show that point. Because let's face it if there was no such thing as muscle tone there wouldn't even be a point in trying to discuss anything further. I think that we are all in agreement that muscle tone is a real thing. So if it will help us get this conversation to a place of civility I will withdraw the citation. I feel the point I was trying to support stands up regardless.