Shoes for gym working out?

Options
Hi everyone - I need some advice on shoes. I've been using my very old Nikes (5+ years old) and want to invest in a new pair. I still have a ways to go before I start running regularly so I didn't want to invest just in running shoes.

Types of exercises I do:

1. Spin class
2. Elliptical
3. Strength training
4. Stairmaster
5. Aerobic classes such as Zumba, Kickboxing, etc.

Any advice on what would be some good shoes for buying that would be good for all these types of exercises? Personal or professional opinion. Price isn't that big of an issue.

Thanks!

Replies

• 4everlearning
    4everlearning Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Such a great question! I have been curious about this too. I'm trying to start exercising more - but don't have anything near to a decent pair of shoes.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I like Nike Pegasus 28's. It is a running shoe but has a larger footbase and side supports like a crosstrainer. Works well for most everything.
  • Mochila09
    Mochila09 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You may need to look into more than one pair. Something light and flexible for kickboxing, Zumba and lifting. I got these for kickboxing: Nike Lunar Hyperworkout XT+ and they're great! I used a crosstrainer when I started (I have horribly flat feet!), but found that I was hurting my knees. They just weren't flexible enough. I actually don't use shoes when I lift, but that's because I do it at home!
  • youareorange
    youareorange Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have the New Balance Women's WX813 Cross-Training Shoe which works well for everything in the gym - weights, cardio machines, fitness classes. You can also run up to 5K in them.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I have Reebok CrossFit Nano 2's and love them. I don't do CrossFit, just liked the shoes...they have colors other than neon pink & yellow. Do shoe manufactures not realize that all women don't want freaking pink shoes?! After working out in these for a few weeks, I started working out in my old running shoes, and cannot believe how off my balance felt. These seem so much more supportive, and I feel like my squat form is so much better in them.
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    We all have different feet, so asking on here isn't the best idea. You need to be properly fitted, because your feet are much different than mine.
  • silverlining84
    silverlining84 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Reebok Realflex Fusion TR that I use for weights, elliptical, treadmill, spin class & they're awesome. Super lightweight, flexible & comfortable. I've had them for 6 months or so & they've held up great.
  • esther21g
    esther21g Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Brooks are the way to go!!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    For lifting I always wear one of my pairs of Coach sneakers. They have that flat bottom that's perfect for lifting. Chuck's work, too.
  • savoiaS1
    savoiaS1 Posts: 129
    Options
    I like any type of running shoe. The lighter the better. Have some under armors I use now. About to buy some Nike Frees.
  • uknowmeh
    uknowmeh Posts: 7
    Options
    I have Reebok CrossFit Nano 2's and love them. I don't do CrossFit, just liked the shoes...they have colors other than neon pink & yellow. Do shoe manufactures not realize that all women don't want freaking pink shoes?! After working out in these for a few weeks, I started working out in my old running shoes, and cannot believe how off my balance felt. These seem so much more supportive, and I feel like my squat form is so much better in them.

I completely agree! I am not a pink shoe kinda person! I'm going to look into these, they seem like a great choice! How long have you been using yours?
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I love Vibram 5 Fingers for everything but spin class. I like a stiffer sole for spin, so then I wear Keens.
  • TJMiddaugh
    TJMiddaugh Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    if you start running and dont change out your shoes often they will have a tendency to cause injuries. speaking from experience. and im sure they probably are not doing any of the other exercises any good being 5 years old. i ran in my nikes for the first year straight and had all sorts of weird pains. talked to my brother and he asked me about my shoes, i laughed and told him i had been wearing them for the last year, he told me it would be in my best interest to go get a new pair immediately. i did and got some adidas kanadia tr2's (now they make the thrashers which are awesome all terrain type outdoor running shoes IMO) and alot of what i was experiencing cleared up. he is a technical instructor (drill Sergeant) for the air force and does a ton of running. advised me to swap out my shoes at least every 6 months if your putting some real miles on them. the support has been flattened. after 6 months i just retire them to everyday shoes (since they still are in good shape just pounded out flat haha) if you are going to start running, i advise getting a decent pair of shoes designed for it. once you retire them they will make great gym shoes
  • uknowmeh
    uknowmeh Posts: 7
    Options
    if you start running and dont change out your shoes often they will have a tendency to cause injuries. speaking from experience. and im sure they probably are not doing any of the other exercises any good being 5 years old. i ran in my nikes for the first year straight and had all sorts of weird pains. talked to my brother and he asked me about my shoes, i laughed and told him i had been wearing them for the last year, he told me it would be in my best interest to go get a new pair immediately. i did and got some adidas kanadia tr2's (now they make the thrashers which are awesome all terrain type outdoor running shoes IMO) and alot of what i was experiencing cleared up. he is a technical instructor (drill Sergeant) for the air force and does a ton of running. advised me to swap out my shoes at least every 6 months if your putting some real miles on them. the support has been flattened. after 6 months i just retire them to everyday shoes (since they still are in good shape just pounded out flat haha) if you are going to start running, i advise getting a decent pair of shoes designed for it. once you retire them they will make great gym shoes

That's great advice! Thanks!

I've been out of the workout area for a while and getting back in now, hence the 5 year old shoes. I know what you mean by the "weird pains" hence my desire to switch. Hoping to find the best pair by trying on a few!

Thanks!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I wear trail running shoes on my cardio days and converse high tops on my lifting days. It's important to wear a flat shoe without a heel lift or too much cushioning when lifting. For cardio if you're not running, just wear what's comfortable.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Vibram 5 finger shoes for just about all.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Tanja_CHH
    Tanja_CHH Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    The Nike Free's are great for those type of workouts!
  • marie_leverton
    marie_leverton Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I find it depends on how you place your foot. and thereore where you need your support and flex. Best to go to a proper sports shop, they'll look at how you move and recommend trainers based on that.
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lz9frdJbfg1r18x5ao1_500.gif
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you would benefit from some sort of cross-training shoe, but this sort of thing is usually trial and error. I love my Nikes and my New Balance. They've both done me well. New Balances hurt my feet at first but now are extremely comfortable to wear... I hear people swear by Asics, but I have yet to try them. Consider it an adventure. :)