Afraid to run outdoors solo

Options

Replies

• PrettyLilPixie
    Options
    So far you've been given some great advice but I feel I have to add changing up your route. Don't go the same route everyday or at the same times -if there is a predator, they like predictability on their end- and of course, always tell someone where you are and when you plan to return.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Let me start off by saying my city is in the top 100 for safest cities in america 2012. Nothing bad ever happens, ever. No murders no kidnappings no shootings ect the absolute worst that happens is a GPS gets stolen from a car sometimes. But I am still terrified to go running on my own, in broad daylight.

:noway:
    Get some therapy, and take medication!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Krissy563
    Krissy563 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Not to be all doom and gloom, but honestly your bigger concern as a runner is injury, getting hit by a car, or attacked by a dog, not random violence. Don't wear headphones, keep an ID on you (try RoadID.com), follow traffic laws, be visible (with your clothing and your actions), and just be aware of your surroundings.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    The biggest danger on my running routes is crossing in front of cars that are turning right, but looking left for a break in traffic to pull into. They do not look right or in front of the car before pulling out, so you absolutely cannot cross in front of them. Wait or run behind them.

I did have to deal with a man who was stalking/harassing me. Carry your phone so you can call the police or call for help if you hurt yourself or have another worry. Wear Road ID or another form of ID with emergency contact information. Carry pepper spray/bear spray to deal with dogs or other threatening creatures. I almost had to spray a big burnese mountain dog one time - he had to weigh at least as much as I did! I have also run into coyotes, foxes, skunks, etc. on my runs. No bears or cougars!

Not to be all doom and gloom, but honestly your bigger concern as a runner is injury, getting hit by a car, or attacked by a dog, not random violence. Don't wear headphones, keep an ID on you (try RoadID.com), follow traffic laws, be visible (with your clothing and your actions), and just be aware of your surroundings.
  • amandajones1978
    Options
    Do you live in a city that has a Lifetime Fitness? They have a Run Club that you are not required to join the gym to run with them. My club we run Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. Its great to have a group to run with and I have made so many new friends by joining it.
  • Bolton84
    Bolton84 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I live in Shreveport, LA (which was voted 12th most dangerous metro area in the country) and I go running along the river and sometimes on the bike trail in the woods. I think that you are just letting your fears take control of you life. dont live in fear take baby steps and beat it!!
  • Krissy563
    Krissy563 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This exact thing happened to me just last week! The car was about 2 inches from running me over. I gave his car a good smack with my hand and he stopped and rolled down his window and I started yelling "what the F*** is your problem, you didn't even look, I was already IN THE CROSSWALK" and he just kept saying "Excuse me, excuse me." Finally I said "How about 'I'm sorry I almost killed you'?" (Can you tell I've about had it with the drivers in my neighborhood?!)
    The biggest danger on my running routes is crossing in front of cars that are turning right, but looking left for a break in traffic to pull into. They do not look right or in front of the car before pulling out, so you absolutely cannot cross in front of them. Wait or run behind them.

• girlfromOklahoma
    girlfromOklahoma Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine was out riding her bike earlier this week and was attacked by a dog. She had to go to the ER for stitches. It has made me afraid to run outside now as well, so I totally get what you're saying.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    If there's a running store in your area, check to see if they know of any open groups. The store in my town has this running clinic that supports runners of multiple levels. We have a facebook page so that people in the group can meet up in-between runs. It's neat, a nice way to socialize, and a great way to learn new routes.
  • 4bigeasy
    4bigeasy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think an air horn would be better than a whistle. You'd already have it in your hand and wouldn't have to fumble to get it to your mouth and blow, and it's a heck of a lot loader than a whistle!
  • DesireeAshley90
    DesireeAshley90 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I love in Brooklyn. Grew up in new York city. Lived in queens, Manhattan, and the Bronx. I've never been mugged, assaulted, or even witnessed a crime.

I find this hilarious.

NY NY is actually reported as one of the safest cities in the country.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I walk five days a week and carry pepper spray, plus my phone. The pepper spray is more for dogs actually-my dad is a biker and my sister is a runner and both have been attacked by dogs. My dad carries spray and actually had to use it on a dog that did a full body lunge at his bike and knocked him over. Scary!

I clip my pepper spray to my phone pouch and tuck both in my waistband, within easy reach. The spray came with an extender clip so it hangs down, outside my pants and the nozzle faces down, so all's I'd have to do is grab it and aim/flip off safety.
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Not sure exactly what you're scared of, but I suspect it's physical assault? In which case, I'd say you have little to worry about - if you're running, you'll have nothing to interest a mugger, and anyone with more sinister intentions won't want to tackle someone who is obviously fit and able to run away from them. However, to ease you anxiety, carry a small canister of pepper spray. As others have said, it could come in handy for critters too...
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I think that you're smart to be a little concerned. I have *mega* anxiety as well and also love a good murder-investigation story, which sometimes don't mix so well together, as you know. :wink: Obviously, avoid running in the mountains or heavily forested areas alone unless you stick to a small, familiar area. Other than that, I would invest in some pepper spray. If you have that, your cell phone, and your keys (I like to carry mine in "eye gouging" position :drinker: ), you should feel pretty safe and have no reason to worry! Also, trust your instincts. If the "vibe" somewhere doesn't seem right to you, avoid that place next time, even if that place happens to be a white-picket-fence-adorned cutesy neighborhood. And as others said, be aware. Don't pretend that your skipping through daisy fields if in fact you are jogging through a busy intersection. (Hah.)

Edited to add: I recently stumbled across a running club that goes jogging as a group in the hills and also at the local college track a few times per week, so I'm actually looking forward to jumping in on one of their upcoming sessions at the college track.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you live in Menomonee Falls, WI. Safest city in america...also the most boring. but just go running
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I used to have that anxiety because where I grew up, there was always a likelihood of running into coyotes, neighbor dogs, and if the season was right, mountain lions and bears (though I never did ran into more than neighbors dogs and coyotes...which my dogs always kept away from me). But I still went. I live in Chicago now (and in not the best neighborhood) and don't think twice about running outside just because I love it so much.

I agree with some of the other posters...find a running group (even my little hometown has one).

Don't let the fear of something happening stop you from going out solo! Just make sure SOMEONE knows you're heading out and that you'll let them know when you're back. Before my boyfriend and I met, I would text my sister 1000 miles away to let her know I was out and when I was back just so someone knew I was out.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Buy a dog.

Or a gun.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    See a therapist, they'll have tips for the anxiety and can help you work through that. You shouldn't be so unafraid and allowing yourself to live in that mindset isn't going to do you any good. I second finding a running class. I used to see running groups all the time when I lived near a city, they were always inviting me to join, they were friendly and welcoming.

Also, maybe take a self-defense class, burn some calories and learn how to beat the crap out of attackers. Confidence building and calorie burning, what's not to love.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I do not run, I walk but a couple a weeks ago a pack of pit bulls attacked and kill a 63 year old women that was just out for a walk.
    It was very close to the area I always walk. We live near open desert.
    Very scary!
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Just take some normal street smart precautions (go during the day, not on secluded trails, pay attention, maybe don't wear headphones if being able to hear what is going on around you is comforting (or wear them if being distracted helps your anxiety) and go running. Find a friend or neighbor that has a dog and offer to take them - most people would love for their pets to get some more exercise.