Oatmeal with (white) sugar?

Options
misshpn
misshpn Posts: 70 Member
Hi guys.
Just recently I tried oatmeal, and I LOVE IT! The thing is, I only like it topped with white sugar and cinnamon, and we all know that sugar isn't good for you. I eat a big bowl for breakfast(70 gram oats, 160 gram skim milk and 15 g sugar) and I've actually liked it so much, that I've had every day for a week.

My question for you is; is this totally unhealthy? I know oatmeal has some health benefits, but am I'm ruining it with all the sugar? I normally never eat white sugar like that, but I don't like it with fruits, dried fruit or honey etc. so help me guys - should I stop eating this? I really don't wanna gain weight from oatmeal...

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Sugar on your oatmeal is not going to make you gain weight. Eating at a caloric surplus will. You're fine.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    If you like it eat it... But I would encourage you to keep trying other combinations as well. For me personally, when I was first giving up eating so much sugar, it would take one or two times of eating something before I really liked it without the added sugar. I didnt "hate it" but of course its more bland. Now if I use sugar, I only use a little brown sugar with cinnamon. It does take some getting used to, but for me once I kept with it I was able to cut back so much and now I think things are TOO SWEET, which I never thought possible a year ago! Your tastes really do change once you keep at it, but it helps to make small changes and dont overwhelm yourself changing everything at once. I still eat sugar, just a lot less than I did in the past.
  • Monny287
    Monny287 Posts: 109
    Options
    I don't think a little sugar on your oatmeal is going to hurt anything. I eat my oatmeal with a teaspoon (about) of brown sugar and a sprinkle of cinnamon. I put blueberries in it and it tastes just like a blueberry muffin. Yum! :)
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia , taste's just like sugar..
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    If you like it eat it... But I would encourage you to keep trying other combinations as well. For me personally, when I was first giving up eating so much sugar, it would take one or two times of eating something before I really liked it without the added sugar. I didnt "hate it" but of course its more bland. Now if I use sugar, I only use a little brown sugar with cinnamon. It does take some getting used to, but for me once I kept with it I was able to cut back so much and now I think things are TOO SWEET, which I never thought possible a year ago! Your tastes really do change once you keep at it, but it helps to make small changes and dont overwhelm yourself changing everything at once. I still eat sugar, just a lot less than I did in the past.

Totally agreed with this--you can definitely adjust your tastebuds down. Or what about mashing up a banana in your oatmeal? Then you wouldn't have the chunkiness of fruit but you'd have the sweetness.
  • JakeHoyes
    JakeHoyes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Honey and Agave are the two most underrated forms for sweetner out there. Sure, the sugar and carb content are high, but they do a great job of giving your foods a sweet taste, while also providing sugar and carbs to refuel your glycogen stores after a nights sleep. When used sparingly, they are the best forms for ALL NATURAL sugars