How Did You?!?!

Options
Set your GW? Also are you happy with it? For some people it is round numbers, like 120, 115, 110. For others it is the mirror. I only ask because I am fluctuating between 116-117 and would like to get around 112 (these last four pounds have been hell). I am 5'5" and use to weigh close to 200lbs. I lift heavy (squat well over my body weight, bench 105, etc), and am an avid runner. I honestly have no idea how I came up with this number, so am wondering how you guys came up with yours.

Cheers!

Replies

• CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I've been reading these boards a lot the past week, trying to absorb and learn.

I've noticed a lot of women who are heavy lifters set their goal to a body fat percentage.

How long have you been heavy lifting. I'm considering starting, I love how people lose their loose skin as they lose and their fitness level is inspiring. My starting weight is close to what yours was.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My goal was to get back into a pair of jeans. I chose the weight I was when I wore them (only because MFP makes you choose a number). I got back in the jeans 2 years ago. I still haven't got down to the weight. I am 14 lbs heavier than last time I wore them. But my BF% is lower. :ohwell:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i do not have a goal weight...I have a goal body fat % which is 10%, currently about 13% so I have three percent more to go ...and it is a b*tch!
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Since I had a fair amount to lose (44 lbs total), I set a goal that I felt was attainable. I had been overweight-to-obese for over 10 years, had never been motivated to exercise, and was a big fan of food! So, when I started the process, I picked a round number that would put me within the normal weight range for my height and would give me some wiggle room in terms of weight fluctuations. Now that I have 11 pounds to go, and I think I may actually keep going a bit after I reach my goal.
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    When my mum was my age she looked fantastic and I admire her. We have a similar body shape and distribution so I aim to be the weight she was when she was super fit and healthy :)
  • joyfulrunner22
    joyfulrunner22 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've been reading these boards a lot the past week, trying to absorb and learn.

I've noticed a lot of women who are heavy lifters set their goal to a body fat percentage.

How long have you been heavy lifting. I'm considering starting, I love how people lose their loose skin as they lose and their fitness level is inspiring. My starting weight is close to what yours was.

I have been lifting for about a year. Increasing my weight slowly (I lift alone without a spotter). I hated lifting, but now I really love it. I will admit I hate the stares, but in the end they motivate me more.

I have thought about doing a BF% however, I want to have more children (I have two), so if I go too low, this could make getting pregnant hard. After my children I would love to be about 15% BF. Currently I am about 18-19%.
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Smash bang in the middle of my bmi. I have been at this weight before and felt amazing. :smile:
    So I will go for that.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I set a goal that I thought was reasonable (215) and then adjusted it on the fly once I realized that I was doing quite well (200). I stuck with easy numbers because I'm not all that worried about the specific number.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    My first GW is actually set to the weight I was when I wore this red dress (it's been hanging in my closet now for about 10 years). I know that the next goal after that will be a pair of jeans that I have held onto since before I met my ex-hubby (about 22 years ago). Not certain if the weight will be accurate, but that is my goal (for now).
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    A healthy BMI for my height is 125-158, so I chose 155 because honestly I cannot remember ever weighing that much as an adult, I got down to 160 in my early 20s and I was thin and in a size 10, very happy at that size and weight. I have hips and a booty and I like those curves on me, my upper body is always a lot smaller than my lower.
  • joyfulrunner22
    Options
    All of these are great answers, thank you!!! When I have moments where I am like I wish I looked like X...I often remind myself how far I have come, and it is a work in progress. Do any of you do this?
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    To OP. From your comments, I believe Your bf% is optimal for health and child bearing. It is low enough that you look lean, toned and wonderful :)
    You have gained muscle from your dedicated strength training and that means....
    Your goal weight has increased!!
    This is a GREAT achievement and it would be right to feel proud of your hard work and not giving up.
    You're very inspiring and I wish you the best :) x
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    My doctor set it for me.. I thought I was fine in the 170s and he said you can go to 165 and that would be perfect.. So thats
    how I set it.
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    If that is you in your profile picture....you look perfect IMHO I honestly regret all those years when I was skinny, being unhappy with my body. Stay healthy, and be happy with your accomplishment, You look like a hot mama.
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My first GW is actually set to the weight I was when I wore this red dress (it's been hanging in my closet now for about 10 years). I know that the next goal after that will be a pair of jeans that I have held onto since before I met my ex-hubby (about 22 years ago). Not certain if the weight will be accurate, but that is my goal (for now).

The moment I was able to fit into my goal clothes I started to find them old and out of fashion -> I'm now shopping like a craizy person
  • joyfulrunner22
    Options
    If that is you in your profile picture....you look perfect IMHO I honestly regret all those years when I was skinny, being unhappy with my body. Stay healthy, and be happy with your accomplishment, You look like a hot mama.

That is me! Thank you so much for the kind words!!!! I know that feeling about regretting how I felt. I was chasing an ideal image that was not me, and had to learn to love me!
  • tooliebell
    tooliebell Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My first GW was 175. That was the weight I was about a year after getting married. I thought it was a good place to start. Once I started getting closer to that weight, I realized I may get to that weight but my body after having 3 kids was definitely going to look much different at that weight than it did when it was pre baby and young!!

As I hit the 180s I knew that I was going to have to lower my GW to get to the picture in my head. Now my GW is 160, I'm at 171. And I almost think I need to go down to 150 or 155 but I'm going to leave it at 160 and see what happens.

The thing I love about this site, is everyone's willingness to share weight, pictures, measurements because it allows us to see we aren't all cut from the same cloth and that is okay. I have seen pictures of people who have the same measurements like waist and hip as me but weigh 20 pounds less. And vice versa, someone with my weight has crazy different measurements.
  • jflori
    jflori Posts: 25
    Options
    I'd love to be 120! I think I would be fit and healthy, with minimal body fat. Of course, if that happens sooner, it would be fine. But my lowest weight was 138, and I still had a good bit to lose.
  • Csoldano
    Csoldano Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My goal was more of a "can I do it" I knew it was going to be a challenge but damn hit 220 and been bouncing around between 220 and 215. I'll do it but I had planned to hit it by this month. After this I'm going to set a new goal...not sure what though
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!