NO FOOD MAKES YOU FAT!

Options
No specific food, in and of itself, makes you fat.

What does?

Eating when you are stressed
Eating to avoid confronting problems
Eating to stifle your emotions (sadness, boredom, loneliness, etc.)
Eating when you are not hungry (ie when it's "time to eat", when food happens to be in front of you, when someone offers you food & you don't wanna say no, when everyone else is eating, & my least favorite, eating many times a day because it will "rev your metabolism")
Not eating when you ARE hungry (and therefore eating much more later)
Continuing to eat when you are no longer hungry (Thanksgiving dinner, anyone?)
Eating so fast that you don't realize you stopped being hungry several bites ago
Dieting & purposely restricting calories (the yo-yo effect)
Restricting certain foods (and therefore binging later)
Feeling guilty because of eating (and therefore binging later)
Being distracted while eating (and therefore not enjoying your food to its full potential & eating past the point of satisfaction)

When your relationship with food is emotional in any way, you will eventually gain weight. You will almost always choose very calorie dense foods by default because those are most likely to induce the pleasure you're looking for when you're eating for reasons besides hunger. That's why most peoples "trigger" or "binge" foods include sugary things and very fatty things.

When your relationship with food is purely physical and you eat just to fulfill your hunger, your body will return to a weight that it is most comfortable at. As long as you've been exposed to a wide range of foods (both those dubbed "healthy" and "unhealthy"), you likely will choose a reasonable balance of all types of food when you're eating only to satisfy the physical need. Think back to a time you were really, truly hungry (if you can remember how that feels). What sounded better, a plate of grilled chicken and seasoned rice, or a bag of gummy worms and an icecream bar?

People on here, and on almost all weight-loss related mediums, put so much focus on WHAT they're eating and HOW MUCH they're eating, and ignore WHY they're eating. They don't realize that WHY they're eating is directly linked to WHAT and HOW MUCH. Most of you don't need to count calories to get down to a good weight, you honestly don't. You're treating the symptoms and not the ailment itself.

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    TL;DR:
    What does?
    Calories eaten > calories utilized.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    TL;DR:
    What does?

Mind = BLOWN!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    TL;DR:
    What does?

:flowerforyou:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    True.
  • FootballGamer58
    FootballGamer58 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    TL;DR:
    What does?

you mean if I expend more energy than I consume I will lose weight.........my god

you have just revolutionized the entire fitness and health industry
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Um...if "most people" don't need to count calories, why are you here? You know, counting calories....?
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    TL;DR:
    What does?
    Thanks but no thanks, you've completely missed the point.

A person can artificially reduce the amount of calories they eat for a certain amount of time, ignoring all the factors I stated. But what happens when the diets over, when you stop counting calories? Or even when you just take a break from counting? All the pounds come back because you're still eating for the wrong reasons. No one can count calories forever. This is why 90%+ of diets fail.
  • angiechimpanzee
    Options
    Um...if "most people" don't need to count calories, why are you here? You know, counting calories....?
    I stopped counting a month and a half ago and have lost 8 pounds effortlessly since doing so. I only came back to spread some wisdom.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I stopped counting a month and a half ago and have lost 8 pounds effortlessly since doing so. I only came back to spread some wisdom.

IN for....wisdom.
  • FootballGamer58
    Options

IN for....wisdom.

we might be here a while
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

IN for....wisdom.

we might be here a while

*Plays final Jeopardy theme music*
  • angiechimpanzee
    Options
    Lol I definitely understand why I'm getting these types of reactions. Because I used to be addicted to myfitnesspal & similar calorie counting sites. I thought there was no possible way on earth I'd be able to reach a good weight unless I was keeping an eye on my calories.

Until I got totally sick of the "doing well for a few months, then screwing up & gaining it back" process, which I know a LOT of us go through. I know I'm not alone on that.

I realized at one point that I was sick of counting calories. Totally sick of it. And that there had to be SOME way to keep my weight at a reasonable amount without obsessing over numbers. Then I found the way.

You don't have to agree with me, you really don't. But so many people in the world (who don't count calories or even care about them) are proof, and now I'm proof of it to. Counting calories is unnecessary if you learn to eat when you're hungry, only when you're hungry, and stop when you're not. It sounds too simple to be true, but it is.
  • FootballGamer58
    Options
    Lol I definitely understand why I'm getting these types of reactions. Because I used to be addicted to myfitnesspal & similar calorie counting sites. I thought there was no possible way on earth I'd be able to reach a good weight unless I was keeping an eye on my calories.

Until I got totally sick of the "doing well for a few months, then screwing up & gaining it back" process, which I know a LOT of us go through. I know I'm not alone on that.

I realized at one point that I was sick of counting calories. Totally sick of it. And that there had to be SOME way to keep my weight at a reasonable amount without obsessing over numbers. Then I found the way.

You don't have to agree with me, you really don't. But so many people in the world (who don't count calories or even care about them) are proof, and now I'm proof of it to. Counting calories is unnecessary if you learn to eat when you're hungry, only when you're hungry, and stop when you're not. It sounds too simple to be true, but it is.

so you mean, eat a caloric deficit even if you are pretending not to count the calories. got it
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    wisdom? That you, Oz?
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    :yawn:

NEXT!
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I will always have to count calories. It just sneaks up so damn quick if I don't. Could I stop doing it for a year? Sure, but why would I? There's no finish line to fitness. Only harder goals. If I'm too lazy to count, I'd probably be too lazy to care about my health. Which was me before MFP.

...and it's not like MFP even requires mad counting skillz. Just throw it in the tracker and I'm done. No fuss, no muss.

(WTF is muss anyway?? :laugh: )
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm not hungry all the time. If I only ate when I was, I would starve to death. But what do I know.
  • FussyFruitbat
    FussyFruitbat Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I think it's a misconception that most overweight people are emotional eaters. It's easy to take in more than we need due to easy access to high calorie food and lots of it, and because storing energy as fat and not lose that until we MUST is what we're evolved to do.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    So much truth here, esp for women. Great thread!
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I totally get what the OP is saying i.e. just listening to your body, and eating when you are genuinely hungry, and stopping when full. Choosing the right type of foods, etc. And staying active.

However, not many of us are there yet, MFP keeps us accountable to what we are putting in our mouths. And maybe, one day, we'd know our body well enough to do away with counting calories. After all, MFP is not all about counting calories, but learning about which foods is good for you, and having a supportive community.

Counting calories does seem quite unfeasible to keep up with in the future, but this works for me now, and I shall stick to it :)

Thanks OP, for not demonizing food at all, and actually listing some good points about how excess of food, guilt etc, makes us fat and not food on its own :)