Chocolate Avocado Pudding?!?

Options
questionablemethods
questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
I know, right?!?

So, I've seen this little trick on some food blogs. I didn't come up with this on my own, by any means, but if you're looking for a dairy-free, delicious chocolate pudding/mousse that 1) has only 4 ingredients that you can identify and 2) doesn't require you to stand over a pot of anything stirring* then try this!

1.5 small avocados (about 150 grams)
1 small, sliced, frozen banana (about 100 grams)
1 Tbsp cocoa powder (I used Dutch process b/c that's what I had on hand.)
1 Tbsp agave (could use honey or maple syrup)

Plop in a food processor and blend. The result is so smooth and creamy and completely delicious. You could actually probably use less cocoa powder and then wouldn't need as much sweetener, perhaps even omitting it entirely since the banana has a lot of sugar in it already.

This made 3 servings of about 1/3 cup. I calculated it to be 134 calories, 18 g carbs (9 g sugar), 2 g protein, 8 g fat.

* It's been a long time since I've made pudding, but I recall it involving a lot of stirring.

Replies

• DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    My first thought was WTH? BUT when you describe it all it sounds pretty good. Too bad I'm allergic to bananas. :(
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Now THAT is some fattening pudding.
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    My first thought was WTH? BUT when you describe it all it sounds pretty good. Too bad I'm allergic to bananas. :(

Actually, a lot of mentions I saw in various food blogs didn't use banana at all. That was something I threw in.
  • questionablemethods
    Options

???

I don't quite understand what you mean. It has about the same number of calories as those individual pudding cups for approximately the same amount.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options

???

I don't quite understand what you mean. It has about the same number of calories as those individual pudding cups for approximately the same amount.

Maybe she's referring to the amount of fat in the avacadoes?

This sounds interesting. Do you think it would fool the kiddos? I don't know how much avacadoes cost right now, but I may give it a try!
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    This sounds interesting. Do you think it would fool the kiddos? I don't know how much avacadoes cost right now, but I may give it a try!

I think it would totally fool anyone. The stuff I made tasted indistinguishable (if not better) than regular pudding made from milk, at least to my palate.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    I know, right?!?

So, I've seen this little trick on some food blogs. I didn't come up with this on my own, by any means, but if you're looking for a dairy-free, delicious chocolate pudding/mousse that 1) has only 4 ingredients that you can identify and 2) doesn't require you to stand over a pot of anything stirring* then try this!

1.5 small avocados (about 150 grams)
    1 small, sliced, frozen banana (about 100 grams)
    1 Tbsp cocoa powder (I used Dutch process b/c that's what I had on hand.)
    1 Tbsp agave (could use honey or maple syrup)

Plop in a food processor and blend. The result is so smooth and creamy and completely delicious. You could actually probably use less cocoa powder and then wouldn't need as much sweetener, perhaps even omitting it entirely since the banana has a lot of sugar in it already.

This made 3 servings of about 1/3 cup. I calculated it to be 134 calories, 18 g carbs (9 g sugar), 2 g protein, 8 g fat.

* It's been a long time since I've made pudding, but I recall it involving a lot of stirring.

awesome! i'll be passing this one along to all my 'mommy' friends!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options

???

I agree! Sounds like HEALTHY to me plus you know what's in it, no chemicals or other crap. Definitely beats Jello pudding or whatever other brand on the store shelves. Thanks for sharing :)

I saw some chocolate avocado muffins at the health food store the other day, gluten free (had my friend in mind), I didn't buy one but I smelled one (yes! they were wrapped in saran wrap and homemade) and wanted to read the ingredients on the sign to share with her.

Was thinkin of looking up a recipe like that. Now that you've shared yet another chocolate/avocado blend recipe I'm thinking this combo must be catching on. :tongue:

Becca:flowerforyou:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    HEALTHY fat!! :wink: Avocado's are good food!
  • akaDumbo
    akaDumbo Posts: 187
    Options
    I have seen a similar recipe before (cant remember where) they used fresh orange juice instead of the sugar and/or the banana. I have also seen it done as a lemon rather than chocolate pudding but that definitely needs the sweetener.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    This stuff is delicious! The avocado makes it rich and creamy.

I've made it a few times in the past and used some stevia in place of the agave.
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options

THAT was my first though, that's a lot of fat in that pudding. LOL
  • questionablemethods
    Options

Well, I don't think pudding was ever meant to be a health food. It is a dessert and I, for one, would rather have a little bit of something rich and creamy (and yes, high in fat), than some highly-processed, low-fat, low-sugar, chemically-tasting "diet" dessert. My sweet tooth can often be satisfied with just some strawberries or grapes, but sometimes I want some fat and chocolate.

FWIW, I typically eat about 20-30% of my daily calories from fat. I'm not afraid of it (though I don't eat any TRANS fat). I guess I seem to be doing okay. :wink:
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options

Well, I don't think pudding was ever meant to be a health food. It is a dessert and I, for one, would rather have a little bit of something rich and creamy (and yes, high in fat), than some highly-processed, low-fat, low-sugar, chemically-tasting "diet" dessert. My sweet tooth can often be satisfied with just some strawberries or grapes, but sometimes I want some fat and chocolate.

FWIW, I typically eat about 20-30% of my daily calories from fat. I'm not afraid of it (though I don't eat any TRANS fat). I guess I seem to be doing okay. :wink:

:smile: Yes! I just wanted to point out that fat is an important part of our diets. I try to eat some sort of healthy fat everyday. Olive oil, avacado, almonds.etc. We should NOT be afraid of it. :)
  • porkchopz
    porkchopz Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    thank you for posting this!! LOVE the fact that it's got only 4 ingredients.
  • porkchopz
    porkchopz Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Why are people still so afraid of fat? This is GOOD fat! Bring on the avocados!!!
  • MizMeow
    MizMeow Posts: 16
    Options
    Just made it tonight.. YUMMM!!! Even my daughter liked it... Thank you :wink:
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a great recipe. Thanks for sharing.
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    This sounds divine ,I have the frozen banana which I cant get out of the skin ! lol and I love avocadoes dont have any honey but will try it without :)