Not loseing weight?

Options
I've been working out and counting calories for 10 days now. I am 21 years old, and started off at 275lbs.
I weighed myself today and am at 273.6lbs. Last time I lost weight, I lost 7lbs in one week...I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I know it's healthy to lose 1-2lbs a week...but I mean I'm a big girl. I should be losing more. Especially since this is my first week! I'm starting to feel depressed, and worthless at this point. I've never gotten past the 20lb mark...
I've been eating around 1000-1200 calories a day and doing at least 40 minutes of cardio a day...
Am I not eating enough? Someone please give me some advice.

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Eat more
  • cherio256
    cherio256 Posts: 219
    Options
    you need at least 1200 NET calories a day. that means you need to eat 1200 plus your exercise calories. I have been doing that and losing weight easily
  • Jenny9000
    Jenny9000 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I second that. x 1 million.
  • changeyourlimits
    Options
    hi,

I think you might not be eating to much. What does your meal plan look like.
  • ldressle66
    ldressle66 Posts: 35
    Options
    what did you set your goals to be on MFP? When you weigh more you can eat more. If you are working out 40 minutes a day and only eating 1000 calories it is not enough.

You probably will also gain muscle which weighs more...

Weight loss is a one day at a time thing for me and I have a lot to lose...I am 290 and started 1/1/13 at 310 or 315 ish...didn't weigh myself but guessing by clothes and pictures.

I exercise a lot! my body is changing after five short months and I have lost 20 lbs...

keep it up!
  • mindycrls2
    mindycrls2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Had the same problem, and I upped my cals to 1700 (I aim for a daily deficit of 1000 cals.) to make up for all the workouts and the scale moved! Expect 1 or 2 lbs in the future, if you lose it quick youll gain it back quick! been there done that!
  • KPBlake
    KPBlake Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not eating enough...sometimes I don't even take in 1000. Thanks everyone for the responses..
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If the exercise you are now doing is much more than it used to be it is possible that your body is holding extra water in your muscles. It will mask the fact that you are losing fat pounds. Ten days is a short amount of time. I have waited for as much as 3 weeks to see a weight loss on the scale when I increased my exercise. And because I stuck with the routine I was rewarded with a bigger loss. You are losing weight and not gaining, you are controlling your calorie intake, you are getting some good exercise. You are doing a great job, keep up the good work and try to focus on all that you are doing that is positive. Remember that even one pound per week is 52 pounds per year. And I believe that once your water weight balances out you will see a loss of more than one pound per week.
  • dsanford55
    dsanford55 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I congratulate you on taking this important step and for asking for help. I definitely think you need to consume more calories, at least 1200 to be healthy. Some days I eat some of my exercise calories especially if I am extra hungry. I know some people will disagree but I think most physicians would tell you that you need at least 1200 calories. There is an app to find out your BMR which will tell you if you need more. I'm sure all of us would love to see big weight loss numbers like the people on "The Biggest Loser" but let's be realistic. We are not in the gym 8 to 10 hours a day and don't have our own personal chefs and trainers. Don't get me wrong....I love the show but I think it's destructive to compare our weight loss journeys with theirs. Please eat more because you need to give your body good nutrition and continue your workouts. You will lose weight...it may not be as fast as you want but it will work. Be patient and remember that this is not a quick fix...it's you changing your eating habits for the rest of your life. MFP is great, keep logging and exercising. Read other posts, get some MFP's that are serious about losing weight. They can become your greatest assest and offer alot of support, motivation and help you through the tough times. Be strong and be determined...and remember that You CAN do this! Good Luck and keep blogging.