"Forbidden Fruit"

lovelypen50
lovelypen50 Posts: 192 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
I have a hard time eating the amount of fruit we should have in our diets, so a few days ago, I decided to all new fruit, what I mean is fruit I have never tried. The first one I tried was a Pluot. It tasted like a plum, but not sure what else was mixed with it. The next on was called a Sprite Melon, which was awesome. Its the mixture of a watermelon, Cantalope and a pear, It had a mild, sweet taste to it tastes great.... I also tried a new vegetable, parsnips. They had a nice taste too. So if anyone out there knows any new fruit or veggies, please give me some suggestions.:tongue:

Replies

• fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,064 Member
    I saw a segment on Dr. Oz about Mangosteen. It's apparently going to be another "superfood". I haven't been able to find it here though. I should look around more...if you can find it, let me know.

For veggies, I love Bok Choy....sauteed in a little water until wilted. Served with a small squeeze of lemon juice over top. I'm not one for wilted food (spinach, kale, etc.) but this I could eat easily.
  • Mangosteen is my fave. I eat a lot of those when I last visited the Philippines. I think It's only found in tropical countries.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    If you've never tried spaghetti squash, try it! It's a great substitute for pasta. When you scrape out the part you eat after cooking it, it looks like spaghetti. Very mild flavor- I like it with fresh diced tomatoes and ground turkey.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,064 Member
    Oooh...I was going to write spaghetti squash, but I eat so much of it....LOL I figure everyone else does too. I love it with a little bit of butter (3 tsp does us for about 6 servings) and some sauteed garlic.....YUMMMMM Love it with everything. Very mild flavor indeed. I could eat it by itself or as a side instead of a starch with my meal.
  • my favorite fruit of all time is Apple Banana's from Hawaii....I was there for 3 weeks and ate probably 30-40 of them if not more haha. About a bunch a day....they don't have the same texture or taste of a banana!
  • If you've never tried spaghetti squash, try it! It's a great substitute for pasta. When you scrape out the part you eat after cooking it, it looks like spaghetti. Very mild flavor- I like it with fresh diced tomatoes and ground turkey.

It's Goood!
  • My favorite fruit for this week is Black Plums & Calamansi. I was never really a fruit and veggie eater until I decided to watch my weight, what myself & my family eat. I also like our local (Guam) grown Papya, Banana's & Mango's. Wish I could find all of the other fruits people have mentioned. I am always up to trying something new. Have a great week everyone.
  • My favorite fruit for this week is Black Plums & Calamansi. I was never really a fruit and veggie eater until I decided to watch my weight, what myself & my family eat. I also like our local (Guam) grown Papya, Banana's & Mango's. Wish I could find all of the other fruits people have mentioned. I am always up to trying something new. Have a great week everyone.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    I have a hard time eating the amount of fruit we should have in our diets, so a few days ago, I decided to all new fruit, what I mean is fruit I have never tried. The first one I tried was a Pluot. It tasted like a plum, but not sure what else was mixed with it. The next on was called a Sprite Melon, which was awesome. Its the mixture of a watermelon, Cantalope and a pear, It had a mild, sweet taste to it tastes great.... I also tried a new vegetable, parsnips. They had a nice taste too. So if anyone out there knows any new fruit or veggies, please give me some suggestions.:tongue:
    my friends mom makes parsnip cookies....and they are OFF THE CHAIN!!!! Can't have them anymore, but i'm not kidding she would make like 2 dozen or more and between the 3 of us they would be gone within like a day and a half
  • katiemkey
    katiemkey Posts: 3 Member
    Mangosteen is really hard to get in the US. However, Bossa Nova makes a DELICIOUS mangosteen and dragonfruit juice! it is a little on the pricey side, but so good!
  • krinio
    krinio Posts: 138 Member
    I'm sure everyone already eats this, but in case you don't...I am a passion fruit addict! :) They're super sweet, and if you've got a sweet tooth they're the best thing for cravings! :)
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    I also recommend spaghetti squash-very yummy!

As for fruit: Asian pear or apple pear are very yummy-sweet and crunchy.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    To the op--a pluot is a cross between a plum and an apricot. If you like them, you will probably like apricots too. I like both, but prefer apricots because I am less likely to end up with juice running down my chin:blushing: when I bite into it!!:laugh: :laugh:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    An exotic fruit that I like is the carambola ("star fruit") - it has a waxy yellow-green exterior. It is shaped in a way that when you cut slices, they are in the shape of a star. (Very fun to put in fruit salad!) It tastes very similar to an apple. It's seasonal and a little expensive, so I usually only eating a few a year.
  • lovelypen50
    Thanks everyone, I am going to try out some of these suggestions. Spaghetti Squash, sounds interesting. Hmmm. I am definitely going to try that.
  • lovelypen50
    Ok MFP Friends, Anymore more suggestions on new fruits and veggies. I'm looking to try something different in those areas. Thanks for all the previous suggestions.
This discussion has been closed.