excercise..is it really necessary to do EVERY DAY?

Options
I read different posts where some people are doing an hour or two of excercise every day. Then I read some posts that say its not really necessary to do hard work outs every day.
I am 60 years old with a core that doesn't budge (You know the chicken legs and melon shape middle?) I have always heard it takes at least 21 times to do something to make it a habit but let me tell you I have tried that and I still hate excercise and end up not doing it at all.

The smile those people have on TV making trying to convince me it's fun, have made me conclude it is not a smile at all, its more like a grimace that they try to make LOOK like a smile.
No hurting body excuses because believe u me, I have sucked it up and done excercise with my hip and knees killing me while doing them.
My excuse sometimes is ," well, I will be all sweaty then I have to clean up before I go to work and I won't have time to do all that or man my hip is really killing me today I will do it tomorrow."
I just plain hate it. I have tried using the Wii, I did Jullians work out ONCE and never looked back, lifting weights... Yoga?That didn't work I can't even start to do them cause I can't put pressure on my knees and can't get back up off the ground afterwards, I use the tread mill but have to hang on the rails or my hip again screams at me, The eliptical is the closest thing I use that doesn't put impact on my joints but its in the garage and sometimes its too cold or hot in there. I walk my dogs when its nice out. I have done stretch bands, lifted weights.. all of it, telling myself that I have to do this.
I, cannot see excercise as FUN just a grueling thing I am doing to myself. So, do I really have to do this thing I hate EVERYDAY to lose weight?
I DO know I lost 30 pounds doing this crap but it took 6 months. I read on here people are losing that much in half the time. I got discouraged and stopped doing it al together and gained back 18 pounds in under 6 weeks!
I am back on this again, set my goal at 30 minutes a week @ 1 pound of loss a week. Where as last time, I did it every other day plus my cals were set at 1360. I was hungry all the time and grumpy that I had to excercise, then for it to take 6 months for my body to let go of fat just didn't seem fair for the work I was going through.
My new cal goal MFP set up for me this time is 1640, I am 5'8 248 pounds (mostly in my middle) and set my excercise for one day a week at 30 minutes.
Sorry for the long rant but I cannot express enough my hate of putting myself through something that hurts when I do it because I have to to lose weight. Therefore the question is do I Really have to do this EVERYDAY?

Replies

• Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise everyday. I have one rest day and then gym/run on alternate days each week. During the week I also walk upto 5 miles a day so saturday is my day off.
  • aliciaconcha90
    Options
    Yes and no. If you want to see fast results you should at least get about 20-30 mins a day of exercise. However you can exercise 3-4 days a week about 30-60 mins each of those days.
  • ehbikki
    ehbikki Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to do intense work outs every day, just make sure you are incorporating some exercise into your daily routine (walking around at lunchtime, taking the stairs instead of the lift, etc). Have you tried swimming and water based aerobics? They will be the best for your joints! I am not an exercise junkie but I do enjoy dancing and drumming so wherever possible try to do those instead of spinning and kettlebells - trust me the only enjoyment I get out of those classes is the feeling at the end "I've done it!"
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    While there are many benefits to exercise, the only real necessity to losing weight is to burn more calories than you consume. I had a health issue and couldn't work out for the 1st two months of my weight loss effort. I still lost weight. So, cut your calories, do whatever exercise doesn't cause you to hate life, and lose weight. The end.
  • hardlyhappenstance
    Options
    You're right. Exercise can be boring and painful and sometimes it really inconvenient.

I see you need something very low impact with your hip and knees.. When I was having trouble with my knees, I stopped doing anything that would hurt them; no squats, running or jumping jacks), I just started doing weighted exercises only.

If I were you, I would do 10-15 minutes a day of lifting weights and doing crunches, bicycle crunches, C-circles, that sort of thing.... then if you're feeling a little more ambitious, more. But I think more is overkill if you hate it so much.

-Cassie
  • ChrissieP80
    ChrissieP80 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure you will get the results you want at 30 minutes once a week.

I don't exercise every day any more (but I did 5-6/week when in the weight-loss phase - I'm at maintenance now), but still do 3/week to maintain strength and condition.

Just want to ask - do you still feel the same way about exercise immediately after? Or only hate it before? Because if you still regret it after, I think you need to keep trying new stuff until you find an exercise that is OK for your body.
  • tom10239487
    tom10239487 Posts: 19
    Options
    Maybe try some swimming for a change if possible? It might be less painful without putting your weight on your hip, and help you relax instead while still burning decent calories. I find it a lot more enjoyable than standing on a treadmill anyway.
    Best of luck!
    Tom
  • vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Some weeks I work out 4 times, other's 1 or 2.
    I alway make sure I have a rest day, and my light exercise on those days is my walk to work
  • pkingfox
    pkingfox Posts: 25
    Options
    I can relate to your pain....I do not necessarily enjoy exercise - I do enjoy how I feel after a nice fast walk - mentally I feel better. Yes the knees still ache however overall I feel better. I am finding that my love of music and dancing help - I have music on throughout the house during the day when I am home and that I move easier - sort of like doing the chicken dance around but no one is around to see how silly I may look. Instead of just vaccuming I dance vac our home - instead of sitting at my computer I stand and do tightening exercises while I read or type at our kitchen island. I think it's the little ways we can make changes that add up. I have recently started an evening walk...after my youngest goes to bed I go out for my walk - put on my headphones and walk sometimes faster and sometimes slower depending upon my knees. I think the key is to just get moving however you feel best and do what you enjoy best...if you hate something you are not about to keep it up for a long period of time. I wish you luck and hope you find something you enjoy - just try to keep moving!!
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Just walk every day for 20-30 minutes. Make the same round around in your subdivision/path, city blocks every day and think about your activities/chores/plans that you plan to do later in the day/week/month. Do the same thing so it will be an aimlessly exercise and allow you to engage your mind in something else while you are doing it.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Personally I think a lot of people over exercise.

I aim for an hour, 3 times a week.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Exercise IS necessary everyday to maintain good health and rid of physical diseases, not just for weight loss.. but you can skip days. I know working out 3 times a week for an hour would do it, it varies on your time. Resting is also important too.
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Maybe find active hobbies instead of having to workout. My mum who's 65 does line dancing every Wednesday with her friends and ballroom dancing every Thursday with my dad, She never wants to not go as she has a fun time and doesn't want to get behind on the dances. Sometimes she does deep water aquasize on Mondays too. She also steals my dog too for a walk occasionally.

I also hate actual workouts, but I don't find running a workout as i'm in the countryside with my dogs and I love it so it's easy to keep it up. I do weights/ Yoga etc just because I would never reach the look I want without it but I don't like it and find I make more excuses with the things I don't enjoy.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    You certainly don't HAVE To exercise every day. But it'll help form great habits and will certainly improve your overall fitness and make a big change while in your later years.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Maybe find active hobbies instead of having to workout. My mum who's 65 does line dancing every Wednesday with her friends and ballroom dancing every Thursday with my dad, She never wants to not go as she has a fun time and doesn't want to get behind on the dances. Sometimes she does deep water aquasize on Mondays too. She also steals my dog too for a walk occasionally.

I also hate actual workouts, but I don't find running a workout as i'm in the countryside with my dogs and I love it so it's easy to keep it up. I do weights/ Yoga etc just because I would never reach the look I want without it but I don't like it and find I make more excuses with the things I don't enjoy.

Agree with this, def find a hobby that will somehow act as this exercise. You don't need to make a special effort. Or use a bike to get places if you can. I cycle almost 2 hours a day just for my commute to work and back now. Easy way to get in exercise.
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I love my eliptical machine. It gives me a good workout when I'm sore from running outdoors. I tend to run the neighborhood every third workout to give my legs a break. Set yourself up with some good music or a television show that you enjoy. You're right, if it hurts (bad hurt), you won't do it.
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Nope, like most things it's whatever works for you.

I workout 5-6 days a week, I don't always enjoy it, but I love how I feel afterwards. It's helped me reach my goal faster than if I'd just stuck to diet alone. Building in exercise to my daily routine has made me fitter, stronger and healthier.
  • Mary9921
    Mary9921 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I believe 3 days a week for apx an hour is sufficient to maintain....but if your looking to lose weight I would add at least an additional day.....or if you can't do the hour try 1/2 hour shifts 5x a week....and lifting weights is also good for you.
  • EllieMo
    EllieMo Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Do what you feel comfortable with. Correct nutrition is the most important thing. The more you exercise, and the more intense the exercise then either the quicker you will see weightloss or the more you can eat. *Some* exercise is good for mind and body - the 10,000 steps a day, for example. Intense work-outs every day don't suit everyone. If they don't suit you, you won't stick to them. Best to stick to something you enjoy and stick at it than to so something you don't enjoy and give up.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I think if you would work out enough to start seeing results you would start to like it more. Just dieting for me, would not give me the body I want. I'm 60 too.