Replies

• MizPassion
    MizPassion Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I have narcolepsy so I'm on a really weird sleep schedule as well. I never really work out these days. :frown:
    It's kind of dangerous if you're really tired and I don't recommend it.
  • MizPassion
    MizPassion Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    @Minerva I recall studying about that disorder. I'm contemplating getting sleeping pills. However, I'm not a big fan of meds.
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    @Minerva I recall studying about that disorder. I'm contemplating getting sleeping pills. However, I'm not a big fan of meds.

You could try some and see how they work for you. So far I haven't had luck with the two medications I've tried. Too many side effects and such. :sick: That's why I'm trying to adapt the most healthy lifestyle I can because I don't want to depend on meds.
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I know all about this, because I've worked nights the last 19 months and can't sleep for @#$#@ with the sun out and neighbors mowing, honking, playing, etc. I usually find it does help to wear myself out on these days. I know it sucks. I'm pretty sure I've sleep-ran before (actually dreaming, not daydreaming, but dreaming while running). Even 8-10 miles at a time. But THAT night, I will definitely sleep. If you run 8 miles and don't sleep that night, it's time to check into the ER.
  • kellster111
    kellster111 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the thoughts rushing round my head and getting to sleep, I found an iphone app called sleeptime very useful as it plays soothing sounds which I can focus on and the thoughts stop or get pushed to the background and I drop off to sleep.
  • hardlyhappenstance
    Options
    I just want to give my two cents.

What helps me sleep, is evening exercise(yoga is probably best), melatonin, a book and an enforced bedtime. Go to bed at the same time every night to help train your body and sit there with a book and a really dim light. I'm sure that you've tried it, but maybe it's worth a second go. I also have a flax/lavender eye pillow to block out ALL light!!! NO LIGHT is so incredibly important for sleep.

I hope this helps.

-Cassie
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I do get insomnia about twice a month- it's usually two nights in a row, and then I'm okay for a couple of weeks. I still work out. It helps relieve the anxiety I get from not sleeping, and seems to stabilize my mood quite a bit actually.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Get out of bed and do a workout at home instead of tossing and turning -you might as well use the time wisely haha!
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options

You could try some and see how they work for you. So far I haven't had luck with the two medications I've tried. Too many side effects and such. :sick: That's why I'm trying to adapt the most healthy lifestyle I can because I don't want to depend on meds.

My brother has narcolepsy and the only way he can manage it is with meds (to keep him awake and to help him sleep at the right times!) Took him about 5 years to get diagnosed.

I am a rubbish sleeper myself, doctor gave me the usual advice (warm bath, reading etc) I did have some success with valerian root (the tablets smell FOUL), but have just accepted about 5 hours a night is my max! Going to be later (11pm compared with 10pm) has helped as I am more tired at bedtime.