How long did it take you to lose 50lbs???

Options
Just curious i guess as to how long it took you all to lose 50lbs?? and what exercise you did to get there, if any :smile:

Replies

• Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    About 8 months. The only exercise I do is 30 minutes of walking 5x / week. 90% of my loss has been from diet at a moderate deficit. based on the 'roadmap' thread. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
  • HealthyDreamy
    HealthyDreamy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bump - good question ;0)
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I lost 47 lbs in the first 6 months by exercising daily. Walking, Curves for Women, Zumba, Swimming/Water Aerobics and a 1200 calorie diet. At that time, I wasn't working so I had plenty of time to workout and prepare meals. It was also Summer so weather was nice, pool was open, and my favorite produce was much fresher. In October, I started back to work and stalled out until mid January. Progress has been slow since then. I'm a little over 10 lbs away from my goal. I can't wait for the pool to open again in a few weeks!

ETA: 1200 calories was net, after exercise. I have now increased to 1400 and plan to increase to 1600 soon. I'm doing more strength training and plan to start lifting.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    A little under a year:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/569332-365-days-on-mfp-but-i-m-not-done-yet-pics

Walking, jogging (karate, prepping for my black belt test), Jillian DVD's, MOVING 5-6 days a week, 200-500 calorie burns, and most of the time eating most of it back...
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Almost eight months. I did everything I could possibly do : Zumba, running, walking, biking, circuit training, yoga, dance, interval training... the list goes on and on..
  • ventrone
    ventrone Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    bump -- I want to read the road map!
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I have been working out and trying to loose weight sine October and i just hit 50 pounds down. Went from 204 to 154 doing a round of turbofire, i did Ripped in 30, lots of turbojam, and staying on the go with my 2 kids. :)
  • WindyJenny
    WindyJenny Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    4 1/2 months. Besides watching my intake, I've done outdoor walking, jogging on my rebounder (mini trampoline), and then once I felt able I ramped it up and started walk/jog/run intervals on the rebounder. I also did the 30 Day Shred, and am now in the middle of JM's 30 Day Slim Down workout rotation. Oh, and I throw in Leslie Sansone walks 2-3 times a week. I am working out A LOT!
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    About three months. I changed what I was eating, started doing DDP Yoga (which I highly recommend) and taking daily walks that sometimes achieve a slightly faster pace. More recently, I started playing a little basketball and working to improve my woeful ability to do pull-ups. I'm (finally) hitting the gym next week.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    About six months. I ate at a moderate caloric deficit and exercised 4-6 days per week. I walked a lot, trained with kettlebells, and lifted heavy. I still do all that stuff and am still working on losing fat.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Another good thing to pay attention to when you are asking this question is how much weight someone had in total to lose as people with a higher starting weight will lose weight faster - just FYI.
  • missability
    missability Posts: 223
    Options
    I am at 51 pounds and 34.5 inches lost and it will be 20 weeks this coming Tuesday...BUT keep in mind I had well over 100LBS to lose and the first 18LBS of that came off in the first month, 10lbs of that in the first 4 days!!! Then it slowed down considerably....I have been averaging 2.5 pounds a week since...:) <<<Probably will slow down even more as I get closer to goal.

I eat healthy, and organic as much as possible/available....I have a "treat meal">>> NOT<<< a cheat day!!! once every week or two....to re-energize the losses.....I walk, do resistance bands, and deep diaphragmatic breathing everyday, and the elliptical on days I can't get out to walk...(rain).....I drink half my body weight in ounces of Lemon water...(fresh squeezed lemon in water) everyday. Good luck to you!
  • gamagem
    gamagem Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I started Jan 2012 and have just now lost 48 lbs. I'm nearly at my "goal" weight of 145 but may not get there as I'm building a lot of muscle and lowering my body fat. I started at 197 lbs and walked about 3 miles a day for the first 6 months or so, then I added on elliptical and bootcamp 3 days a week around June of last year. In October I started Insanity and still walked 3 miles a day 5 days a week. I completed the Insanity program, but have kept going with it. I currently do the Max Insanity dvd's Mon, Weds and Fridays and Tuesday and Thursdays do the abs dvd's. I'm losing pretty slowly, but am ok with that. I've gotten down to around 23% body fat and am wearing a size 6 pants and small shirts. Ultimately I want to have around 20% body fat.

My diet to start with was set to lose a pound a week which I did, over the last 8 months or so I've set it to lose around 1/2 a pound to a 1/4 of a pound a week so that I get used to about how many calories I would eat when I'm trying to maintain my weight. When I first started this I was eating a lot of processed "diet" foods, but I saw how high my sodium intake and how low my potassium was so started to change that too.

I rarely eat pre-prepared foods anymore and spend a couple of weekends a month making large batches of spaghetti sauce, beans and other home cooked, zero sodium added foods. The reason I changed the sodium/potassium ratio is because I researched what natural potassium does for you and how much sodium you really need. It was pretty eye opening for me how flawed the FDA's daily recommended allowance of sodium is. I see a lot of people say that they don't care about sodium because they don't have high blood pressure, but that's like a smoker saying they don't care about smoking because they don't have lung cancer yet. My blood pressure was never high, usually around 100/64 but I still thought it was best to get the sodium in check. I go out to eat occasionally and eat a junk every once in a while, but I log it and keep going.

I have had 4 children, two of which are under the age of 5 and I work a full time professional job and am 37 yo as does my 47 yo husband who has been on this journey the whole time too.

Good luck to you and it's not a race to lose the weight and be healthier!
  • DMVButterfly
    DMVButterfly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It took me a year to lose 50 lbs (from January 2, 2012 - January 2, 2013). I went through a few cycles of losing and regaining. I'd lose 20 and regain 10. Lose the 10 again and regain 5. It took time for my mind and emotions to make the lifestyle change that I now live in. I've lost an additional 20 lbs since then and I'd lost 10-15 lbs a couple of months before January 2012. It's definitely a process.
  • chaoticgeek
    chaoticgeek Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ten months and three days. Exercise was once or twice a week in the second half of it for 20-30 minutes, yoga or walking. Mostly just through watching what I ate.
  • andreicmello
    Options
    Around 6 months.
  • CheriBC34
    CheriBC34 Posts: 6
    Options
    I started myfitnesspal on January 2012, by June 2012 I had lost 50 lbs. My exercise was walking, walking, walking!!!!
  • GrabacrPD
    GrabacrPD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    healthy weigh loss would dicate losing 2lbs a week to be able to maintain it afterwards...simple maths
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    A little over 5 months.
  • VISCIENTIST
    VISCIENTIST Posts: 31
    Options
    About 5 months. Zumba,class and dvd, plus 30DS, and walk at home with leslie sansone dvd.