How to squat lower...any tips?

Options

Replies

• Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Yep but not long distance. I do a slow and ploddy 5K a couple of times a week.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Here's the part that people don't get...............If you are squatting low bar, 'rippetoe style' you are not going to be able to get much lower than parallel and certainly not *kitten* to grass as that is just not possible for 99% of people squatting with that style. have a look at good ol' coach rip himself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVKEl4Wxoqc thats certainly not a deep squat.

the only genuine *kitten* to grass squats you see are high bar olympic style, wearing an olympic lifting shoe. Don't stress out trying to get super low, get as low as you can maintaining good form be that parallel or slightly below.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Im a BIG dude so I had some unique issues with getting to below parallel.

Two things that helped (From Starting Strength)

Making sure my legs were shoulder width apart and my feet were turned out at 30 degrees...This was big for me because I had really underestimated what 30 degrees was.

Also if you go down to your squat position, when at the bottom (without weight obv) press your knees out with your elbows...while your hands are clasped. That probably makes no sense without the accompanying pictures - but it was such a help for me. It helps train you where your knees should be.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    My first thought is that your feet may not be wide enough, and your toes may not be pointed out.

So try this -- squat without the bar, with a slightly wider stance than you normally do. When you get to the bottom, put your elbows on the insides of your knees, put your palms together, and press your knees out. THAT is how far out your knees should be. That will also force your thigh bones apart, which will allow more room to squat down low.

That is mostly paraphrased from Starting Strength, and surely helped me to get down lower than I ever thought I could.

Congrats on squatting with weights!
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    TWINS!
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Ankle mobility drills, hip/groin stretches, overall flexibility in the lower body area should help reach a lower squat
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Brilliant - I'm going to try that tomorrow.
  • ninakale
    ninakale Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Try watching "So you think you can Squat" on you tube. The instructor takes you through everything from set up to lifting the bar to squating. I found it very informative regarding form. It has 4 segements, worth the time.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
  • durangocal
    durangocal Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't like the tone of this artcile, or the name of the exercise, but it looks interesting. I'll try and remember to do these everyday.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_thirdworld_squat

I fail to see the tone you're taking issue with, but it's called a third world squat because third world citizens continue to do this naturally, while first world citizens don't. It's really no different than the names of other exercises and routines - sumo squats/dead lifts, Bulgarian squats, etc. - they're named after the people that were originally doing them or brought them into the greater fitness world.

Great link, thanks!
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Deleted because I'm probably being an a**ehole. (I'm hypermobile.)
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I get why they are called that, I just think the name is ... ugh. Shouldn't have mentioned it, I'm clearly too PC/sensitive for my own good on some things. It has been said before...

Stripper squats I like but I think I shall call them toddler squats, as they are exactly what my friends children do ALL the time. ;-)

I just managed to do them without holding onto anything, no problems at all. So, I think my issue is mainly confidence. I'm going to build regular body weight ATG squats into my routine (pre weight warm ups perhaps) and hopefully I'll get there.

Thanks everyone.

Confidence was totally my issue as well. I constantly had (and still sometimes do have) a fear of falling by going that low. But my knee pain has virtually disappeared once I started going parallel or below. I started out by holding onto a table or the catch bars in the squat rack and just getting the feel for going that low with bodyweight squats. And worked my way back up with weights.

good luck!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Here's the part that people don't get...............If you are squatting low bar, 'rippetoe style' you are not going to be able to get much lower than parallel and certainly not *kitten* to grass as that is just not possible for 99% of people squatting with that style. have a look at good ol' coach rip himself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVKEl4Wxoqc thats certainly not a deep squat.

the only genuine *kitten* to grass squats you see are high bar olympic style, wearing an olympic lifting shoe. Don't stress out trying to get super low, get as low as you can maintaining good form be that parallel or slightly below.

Great video link
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Checkout the video on YouTube "So You Think You Can Squat" and check your own form. A lot of it is just form. Also on YouTube, search for "Joe DeFranco and Agile 8". Those drills will help with some flexibility and mobility issues.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    This is a yoga pose I do that helps with flexibility and getting used to the feeling of getting low. Tight calves can keep you from squatting low as well.

1squat_zps67267318.jpg
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. My issue is balance. I have great balance when standing, when I squat I do not!!
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    bump
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I found this site yesterday: http://www.mobilitywod.com/episodes/

It might help you to identify if you have a weakness in a particular area. Search for "squat" in the episodes section.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I wear two knee supports. I'm not sure I absolutely need them but they give me confidence to squat as low as I want!
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. My trainer told me I need to strengthen my inner thighs, and also work on my hips. Try some strength training on those areas and see if that helps..