How do I protect my cauliflower from all of the cicadas?

Options
i don't want horny insects getting busy in the vicinity of my future pizza crusts. any ideas how to prevent this?

Replies

• usflygirl55
    usflygirl55 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Maybe put a screen around the veggies?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    one word, Sir: shotgun
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    hand a kid a badmitton racquet.

that was how my grandmother got rid of bees one time (not honey bees, the big fat slow ones that rarely sting).
  • BeachIron
    Options

that was how my grandmother got rid of bees one time (not honey bees, the big fat slow ones that rarely sting).

How many times did you get stung?
  • Vmax1992
    Vmax1992 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Move further north.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options

none...seriously. (why I put the disclaimer in there as that would be STUPID with honey bees). Also, honey bees tend to go through the strings unharmed on occasion and end up not being happy about it...
  • BeachIron
    Options

none...seriously. (why I put the disclaimer in there as that would be STUPID with honey bees). Also, honey bees tend to go through the strings unharmed on occasion and end up not being happy about it...

You used the word "rarely" which had me curious whether that meant "less than 100" . . . something tells me there's more to this story

h8BF17D0C_zps889fc082.jpeg
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    No problem. Adult cicadas (the only ones above ground) don't eat at all, they mate, lay eggs , and die. They're fascinating, beautiful creatures.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    i don't want horny insects getting busy in the vicinity of my future pizza crusts. any ideas how to prevent this?
    Eat the cicadas. Here's a recipe:

Cicada Stir-Fry
    Ingredients:
    1 onion, minced
    2 tbsps fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped
    1 tbsp fresh gingerroot, minced
    3/4 cup sliced carrots
    3/4 cup chopped cauliflower and/or broccoli
    1 can water chestnuts
    3/4cup bean sprouts
    3/4cup snow peas
    40 blanched teneral cicadas
    Directions:
    1. Capture cicadas at night as they emerge from the ground. Blanche for 1 minute in boiling water. They can now be stored in freezer or used immediately in recipes.
    2. In a wok or other suitable pan, heat a couple tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add ingredients in the order listed above when those in the most recent addition are partially cooked.
    3. Serve over whole-grain rice and add soy sauce to taste.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Try making a cicada pizza crust!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Bring me your cauliflower.... I will protect it by putting it in my belly.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Eat the cicadas. Here's a recipe:

Cicada Stir-Fry
    Ingredients:
    1 onion, minced
    2 tbsps fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped
    1 tbsp fresh gingerroot, minced
    3/4 cup sliced carrots
    3/4 cup chopped cauliflower and/or broccoli
    1 can water chestnuts
    3/4cup bean sprouts
    3/4cup snow peas
    40 blanched teneral cicadas
    Directions:
    1. Capture cicadas at night as they emerge from the ground. Blanche for 1 minute in boiling water. They can now be stored in freezer or used immediately in recipes.
    2. In a wok or other suitable pan, heat a couple tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add ingredients in the order listed above when those in the most recent addition are partially cooked.
    3. Serve over whole-grain rice and add soy sauce to taste.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

You left out the bacon!
  • cosmic8o8
    cosmic8o8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options

Those are the cute, fat Bumbles! Why would you hit them?
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Like almost any situation, this can be resolved with a flamethrower
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    If there is any kind of living organism that wants to eat cauliflower, I say let them have it.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Gather the lower leaves around the head and tie it with string. I don't think cicadas eat cauliflower, but you'll get nicer heads that way regardless. You used to have to do that to all cauliflower to keep them white, but now they breed varieties that don't require it.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    You just gotta be smarter than the bug. Cicada are known to be emotionally fragile, and easily angered. Spray paint some broccoli white and set it out. Eventually the cicadas will get pissed off at being constantly fooled that they'll leave and never come back.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Gather the lower leaves around the head and tie it with string. I don't think cicadas eat cauliflower, but you'll get nicer heads that way regardless. You used to have to do that to all cauliflower to keep them white, but now they breed varieties that don't require it.

That's cauliflowerist!