not lost anything after 3 weeks

Options
I joined mfp 3 weeks ago and am following a 1250 cal. I exercise 3 times a week for 40 mins, i use weights once a week. I am thyroid medication and 3 other meds following a back op in 2003 (in daily, consent pain). I am not loosing any weight. I always did well on WW but since being on all this medication (since 2005) i find it really hard to loose weight. I am 12 stone 3 and 5.5". Anyone else in a simuilar situation or anyone with any hints or sugesstions please post, thanks

Replies

• nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? It could be as simple as you are not eating enough. You may want to eat back half/all of your exercise calories. I usually eat back 1/2 of them and I have consistently lost weight (okay - had a few plateaus, but still getting fitter, stronger and my clothes are loser, even when the scale stays the same).

If you haven't already done so, you should figure out your BMR. Then eat a deficit of this to lose weight. I use this calculator on fitwatch. You just plug in your height, weight, age and activity level and it will tell you how many calories you need and then you eat a deficit of this. http://www.fitwatch.com/qkcalc/caloriedeficitcalculator.php

Don't give up! The scale is only part of the equation.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Hello from a fellow hypothyroid sufferer! It is rough to lose weight with an under active thyroid. But three weeks isn't enough time, either. 4-6 weeks is the norm for trying to see changes. What kind of exercising and weights do you do? Also, when was the last time your thyroid was checked? Do you drink enough water? Is a medication side effect weight gain? Those all factor in. You should definitely chat with your doctor about your medications to ensure you're on the optimal amounts.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    OH! And also take measurements. You can be not losing weight, but still be losing inches.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Hello from a fellow hypothyroid sufferer! It is rough to lose weight with an under active thyroid. But three weeks isn't enough time, either. 4-6 weeks is the norm for trying to see changes. What kind of exercising and weights do you do? Also, when was the last time your thyroid was checked? Do you drink enough water? Is a medication side effect weight gain? Those all factor in. You should definitely chat with your doctor about your medications to ensure you're on the optimal amounts.

all this and are you using a food scale or eye balling? Give it time it will come i also didnt lose anything the first month
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I doubt very much that you are eating enough. Research TDEE, and eat 20% less than that.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    muscle weighs more than fat
  • columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    What are you eating
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    From what I saw with my aunt (she also has thyroid issues), it's just going to take longer for you to lose weight. Stick with it and be patient. You might also want to ask your doctor what the right caloric intake would be for you since you do have a glandular issue. I know that for her, what she was eating to lose was actually quite close to what she needed to maintain her weight so it's slow going for her.
  • mushies09
    mushies09 Posts: 10
    Options
    Actually my jeans that used to dig in a little aren't anymore so i must have lost something, inches that is.
  • mushies09
    Options
    From what I saw with my aunt (she also has thyroid issues), it's just going to take longer for you to lose weight. Stick with it and be patient. You might also want to ask your doctor what the right caloric intake would be for you since you do have a glandular issue. I know that for her, what she was eating to lose was actually quite close to what she needed to maintain her weight so it's slow going for her.

Thank you. I think i need more patience lol. Most of my meds have weight gain as a side effect so it looks like i just need to stick at it. At least i know myself i'm eating loads less and exercising so it's got to be doing something
  • mushies09
    Options
    What are you eating

I am a really fussy eater to be honest so that makes its harder for me. I tend to eat the same for breakfast & lunch and have something different for dinner. I eat mainly fruit and a muller light strawberry yogurt for lunch. Dinners range from boneless/skinless chicken portion with tomatoes, or skinless/boneless salmon or fish again with tomatoes. Sometimes i add 3 rosti. I drink either water or sugar free squash but i have a glass of diet pepsi in the evening. I also have a small piece of fruit cake (98 cals) and caxton's pink 'n' whites (x2= 100 cals).
  • mushies09
    Options

Hi, you certainly understand then. I do 25 mins of interval training and then i do Audrey Kaipio body workout, one of which includes weights. I drink between 2 to 3 glasses of water but i also drink sugar free squash. Yes my other meds have weight gain as side effects. I have always said since started on all my meds and then having the thyroid problem, that it would hinder my loosing weight, because before i was on any meds i played tennis 4 times a week, did many exercise classes and i always maintained a weight of about 9.5 stone, which i felt happy with. I know it's going to take a lot longer, i just need to stay positive and focused. Thank you.
  • mushies09
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? It could be as simple as you are not eating enough. You may want to eat back half/all of your exercise calories. I usually eat back 1/2 of them and I have consistently lost weight (okay - had a few plateaus, but still getting fitter, stronger and my clothes are loser, even when the scale stays the same).

If you haven't already done so, you should figure out your BMR. Then eat a deficit of this to lose weight. I use this calculator on fitwatch. You just plug in your height, weight, age and activity level and it will tell you how many calories you need and then you eat a deficit of this. http://www.fitwatch.com/qkcalc/caloriedeficitcalculator.php

Yes i probably eat back around half of them. My jeans were digging in but they aren't now, so i probably have lost a couple of inches without the scales moving.

No i haven't figured out my BMR, so i will certainly find out, thank you.
  • kts3639
    kts3639 Posts: 188 Member
    Options

Yes i probably eat back around half of them. My jeans were digging in but they aren't now, so i probably have lost a couple of inches without the scales moving.

No no no no!!! Do not eat below your BMR!!! Your BMR is what your body needs to just function (organ functions, etc.). What you are supposed to do is figure out your TDEE and then eat somewhere in between your BMR and TDEE. Eat at a deficit from your TDEE, not your BMR Here is a great thread explaining how to do it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet?hl=in+place+of+a+road+map&page=1#posts-14887744

I really wish people would not tell others to eat below their BMR. That is not good for your body.
  • mushies09
    Options

No no no no!!! Do not eat below your BMR!!! Your BMR is what your body needs to just function (organ functions, etc.). What you are supposed to do is figure out your TDEE and then eat somewhere in between your BMR and TDEE. Eat at a deficit from your TDEE, not your BMR Here is a great thread explaining how to do it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet?hl=in+place+of+a+road+map&page=1#posts-14887744

I really wish people would not tell others to eat below their BMR. That is not good for your body.

I have been on fitwatch and after entering my details in it said my BMR was 1509. What is TDEE please? I am knew to all of this lol. I will go on that thread you have suguested.
  • kts3639
    Options

I have been on fitwatch and after entering my details in it said my BMR was 1509. What is TDEE please? I am knew to all of this lol. I will go on that thread you have suguested.

TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure. This is basically your what your body needs to function along with your daily activity (your job, exercise, daily movement, etc.). That thread I linked should explain everything, and better than I can lol :flowerforyou:
  • mushies09
    Options

TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure. This is basically your what your body needs to function along with your daily activity (your job, exercise, daily movement, etc.). That thread I linked should explain everything, and better than I can lol :flowerforyou:

Ok so my TDEE is 2342 and my bmr is 1516. So i should be eating anything between these figures. Will i honestly loose weight by doing so? I am only eating 1250 at the min. I know i haven't lost any weight (on the scales) but my jeans r looser and my belly is going down.
  • kts3639
    Options

Ok so my TDEE is 2342 and my bmr is 1516. So i should be eating anything between these figures. Will i honestly loose weight by doing so? I am only eating 1250 at the min. I know i haven't lost any weight (on the scales) but my jeans r looser and my belly is going down.

Yes, you honestly will lose weight eating between those two numbers :) You should be netting at least your BMR (the 1516). Your TDEE -20% is about 1874. If you don't feel comfortable going that high, try slowly going up to a number you feel comfortable at , but not below 1516. I know it sounds backwards to eat so much to lose weight, but it will work, and be sooo much more sustainable once you get to maintenance. The disclaimer I have seen a lot with this method is that you may see a gain at first, but then it will start coming off.
  • mushies09
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to reply, its very kind of you :smile: