Got new shoes, but shin splints are back

Options
blinker86
blinker86 Posts: 104 Member
I started C25K a few weeks ago, and things were fine until the third or fourth week when I started having shin splints. Knowing my shoes were not great, I went and got fitted this weekend and purchased a pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 13. Attempted C25K again on Monday, and it was amazing with no pain at all. Today was another story, though. The pain was awful, and I couldn't even finish half the running intervals. I'm now sitting here icing my shins, which helps, but I desperately want to get past this.

In summary, I am FRUSTRATED! I have my first 5K race at the end of June, and I don't think I'm going to be anywhere near ready at this rate. Will this ever go away? What else can I do to get some relief?

Replies

• blinker86
    Options
    Bump
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Best advice i can give is lots of stretching. I ended up with shin splints last year (even after having shoes fitted) and have only just got back to starting again.

I'm making sure i'm doing lots of stretching and also strength training in the gym is helping to stop the coming back.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Search for shin strengthening exercises online. Also look at your form - are you hitting with your heel first or midfoot? And if you are running on a lot of hills that may be a factor too. New shoes take some getting used to as well.

Your shins will get stronger eventually with more running.
  • blinker86
    Options
    Found some stretches I will try over the next couple weeks. I am running on flat terrain, so hills are definitely not an issue. Anyone else able to overcome this? Will it improve as I lose more weight as well or is it strictly about building those muscles?
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I had it too when I started running, but to a lesser degree. At that time I had already been walking several times a week in our hilly neighborhood at a fast pace for a year. My shin splints were much worse when I started walking but building up that walking base over a year made my shins stronger. It will get better as you run more and your legs develop a better overall muscle balance.
  • blinker86
    Options
    I appreciate the input. Sounds like perhaps I should try to increase my walking pace to help with strengthening my shins as well. Realistically, I know it will get better. It just stinks that I was able to get past the mental block after beginning to run and now have this barrier in the way!
    I had it too when I started running, but to a lesser degree. At that time I had already been walking several times a week in our hilly neighborhood at a fast pace for a year. My shin splints were much worse when I started walking but building up that walking base over a year made my shins stronger. It will get better as you run more and your legs develop a better overall muscle balance.
  • nirvi9
    nirvi9 Posts: 34
    Options
    I had shin splints so bad last year that I could barely walk. I did what most others said, worked on strengthening while taking some time off. I also found that doing more calf stretches helped, and my doctor recommended taking an anti-inflammatory to help them.
  • silianne
    Options
    I also had shin splints a few months ago and it was very painful. I used ice to reduce the swelling. I rested for a couple of weeks, did some research and found this article really helpful in providing me all the information I needed. Everything about shin splints is well tackled on the article. Fortunately, they have self help tips on how I can relieve the pain. You should check it out. http://teamdoctorsblog.com/2012/12/shint-splints-self-help-tips-treatment-and-prevention-from-team-doctors/
    The deep tissue treatment that Dr. Stoxen demonstrated on the blog is really helpful. I’ve been doing that on my legs and feet for 15-20mins every day before running and it has been very effective. Have you tried running barefoot? I was greatly inspired by Dr. Stoxen after reading some of his articles about the benefits of barefoot running. He’s a barefoot runner himself. But of course, you should not run barefoot right away. You must strengthen the feet and muscles attached and release your human spring first.