new anxiety running outdoors

Options
13»

Replies

• danilynn2
    danilynn2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I totally understand your fear. I am so glad I am not the only one that is self conscience running outdoors.

I have recently started running a 2.75 mile trail 2-3 times a week. At first I would walk fast when I saw someone else coming toward me...now it pushes me to run AT LEAST until I pass them before taking a walking break.

The biggest thing for me that seem to help...I remind myself I am doing this for ME. I am doing the best/fastest that I can. I will not allow someone else "possibly" judging me to stop me from doing something I enjoy.

Also...I haven't passed by a runner that wasn't friendly. We are all in this together. There is always be someone faster than you and there is always be someone slower than you! You got this!!!:tongue:
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    sunglasses_and_ocean_waves Posts: 2,757 Member
    Options
    I totally understand.
    I never used to have an issue with it, I would read the threads about people being self conscious while running outside and I was like "who cares, it's probably worse in your head than it actually is, I'm sure people are cheering you on if they are looking at you"

UNTIL

last week I was running and I had my headphones in, and there were these guys on their balcony BBQing and having some beers and they started shouting something at me and holding up their beer and then laughing and I FELT AWFUL. I couldn't hear them and honestly if they were saying "Run Fatass Run" or "Good for you! You're awesome" it would have felt just as bad, because when i go for a run, all i want is just not to be noticed.

Did it make me want to run outside again? Hell no. Am I going to run outside again? Hell yes.

You know, it was probably something disgusting that had absolutely nothing to do with you, like "the next chick to run by is a spitter." Drinking guys say the grossest things to other drinking guys. Of course it's acceptable to treat women like meat but no one would (or should) do that to a minority.

I'll take a stab at the OP's newer problem, I think when you were over 200#, the fat hid you. Now you feel exposed, and that's making you feel like people can really see you now when you run. It's still the same. There's really no time to get a good look anyway if you're moving. Push through it. It's another one of those destructive inner voices telling you you're not good enough to feel good about yourself.