IMAGINE being surrounded by sweets EVERY DAY.

Options
How do you say no? It's like a day to day struggle for me to resist the cookies, cupcakes, brownies, danish, muffins, eclairs cannolis, cheesecake...
My family decided to open up a bakery so I am here EVERY SINGLE DAY.
And i LOVE sweets.
When we first opened I seriously gained like 10 lbs....but then I started working out at least 4-5 times a week and I try preparing my meals for the day so I don't get hungry (I lost those 10 lbs i gained)..but THEEEEN sometimes (especially before I get my period) I'll get such terrible cravings i will BINGE...
and I will avoid working out (because I usually can't move after a day of BINGING)
I literally one time had a peanut butter bar, cinnamon roll, napolean, and danish, and a cookie all in ONE DAY.
Next day I had a few other sweets too but that one day was just torture and I ended up gaining a lb that week instead of losing.
I have 3 weeks until I go on vacation where I need to be in a bikini.
I would love to lose 10 lbs...but I'll be okay with at LEAST 6.
I'm 165 right now ...Im 5'4.5 (last week was 164:( ) and I'm at 30.0% body fat.

my question is..how do you avoid these cravings? how do i just say NO. like i said Ill be good with my diet one week maybe 2 tops and then ill just COMPLETELY fail and all my work gets my nowhere ;(

Replies

• KatieHall77
    KatieHall77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    That does sound tough.

Some suggestions I might put forth to you are

- making a rule that no family member gets free food. If you have to pay for everything you take, you might think twice about a six dollar brownie.

-All leftovers/ two day olds should probably be donated to a local shelter, food bank, soup kitchen, or other good cause. If you know you're taking away from the needy, you might not grab it.

-Eat a good solid breakfast high in protein and drink tons of water and hot tea throughout the day. Bring a solid healthy lunch to work with you as well. If you feel really full, you won't be as tempted by the sweets.

Good luck!
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    That does sound tough.

Some suggestions I might put forth to you are

- making a rule that no family member gets free food. If you have to pay for everything you take, you might think twice about a six dollar brownie.

-All leftovers/ two day olds should probably be donated to a local shelter, food bank, soup kitchen, or other good cause. If you know you're taking away from the needy, you might not grab it.

-Eat a good solid breakfast high in protein and drink tons of water and hot tea throughout the day. Bring a solid healthy lunch to work with you as well. If you feel really full, you won't be as tempted by the sweets.

Good luck!

The AA people have a saying that if you hang out at barber shop long enough eventually you will get a hair cut. The first thing I thought when I heard that was well eventually my hair would grow so yeah. What they are trying to say though is that if you are around something long enough eventually you will be compelled to take part in it and you will be powerless to stop it.

I am here to tell you that all of that is bullsht. The physical location of the sugary treats is irrelevant. You have to remind yourself that you are resolved in your decision to be health. I sit across from a break room that is constantly stocked with unhealthy food and I don't eat it. You just have to remember why you aren't eating that crap and stick to your guns.
  • TessaMaddox
    TessaMaddox Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This may not work for you, but the way I got over the cravings was to not deem anything "forbidden." Do I want to eat that peanut butter bar? Okay, but it goes into my calorie allotment for the day. Is it worth it? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. But the guilt is removed and they don't seem so tempting anymore. I'm a lot more likely to stop with one cookie if I know I can have another one anytime I want one. Just a suggestion. Good luck!
  • zaftiggirl
    zaftiggirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If I were in your situation, I would allow myself 2-3 treats a week so I could look forward to them and savor them, and do something other that steady-state cardio for exercise. Personally, when I am doing difficult exercise 3-5 times a week I crave sugar a lot less.

Create a mental connection, that overeating treats = a higher bodyfat percentage and possible health problems.
  • kc0809
    kc0809 Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks I do try to eat a good breakfast everyday high in protein so that definitely helps...the worst is when I havent had time to eat or make breakfast and i see that cinnamon roll staring and calling my name lol

i tried doing the whole if you catch me eating anything i need to give u a dollar..but then i ended up sneaking away and lying to myself that i havent eaten it

i will try the whole approach you mentioned, tessa...i think that does help a lot is when you know you CAN have it..makes you want it less....

thanks soldier, youre right the physical location is irrelevant...i feel like it wud def help NOT being at a bakery but unfortunately maybe this will improve my willpower
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I am here to tell you that all of that is bullsht. The physical location of the sugary treats is irrelevant. You have to remind yourself that you are resolved in your decision to be health. I sit across from a break room that is constantly stocked with unhealthy food and I don't eat it. You just have to remember why you aren't eating that crap and stick to your guns.

I'm sure it's tough being around it all the time, but I totally agree with soldier4242. If you don't want to eat that stuff, don't eat it. Some people can work things like that into a healthy eating plan, in moderation. If moderation is a problem with you, then you have to take that into consideration when deciding what to eat. If you KNOW that one cookie is going to turn into twelve cookies and five brownies, it's almost like you're giving yourself permission to binge when you take the first bite. Does that make sense? I do know where you're coming from and I hope this doesn't come off as negative because it is in no way intended to be.
  • kc0809
    kc0809 Posts: 9
    Options

I'm sure it's tough being around it all the time, but I totally agree with soldier4242. If you don't want to eat that stuff, don't eat it. Some people can work things like that into a healthy eating plan, in moderation. If moderation is a problem with you, then you have to take that into consideration when deciding what to eat. If you KNOW that one cookie is going to turn into twelve cookies and five brownies, it's almost like you're giving yourself permission to binge when you take the first bite. Does that make sense? I do know where you're coming from and I hope this doesn't come off as negative because it is in no way intended to be.

You're rightttt...itt's like that ONE bite will turn into so many more. i need to avoid it altogether..someone once suggested to me havng dark chocolate...im going to try that approach next time i want to avoid a craving and indulge in that way in moderation
  • kellykw
    Options
    I'm so glad you understand what I meant because I was afraid it came out mean! I struggle with the same issues because I tend to be an all or nothing person, but it's gotten so much easier with time. Being surrounded by delicious sugary treats all day every day would still be a serious strain on my willpower, though. If you're looking for new friends feel free to add me. :)
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Every time you eat something, make sure to log it. Create a recipe if you need to make sure it's accurate. Once you how see how many calories and how much fat and sugar and carbs are in those bakery items that may help you decide it's not worth it.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I don't run a bakery, but I DO cook/bake for my husband and 7 kids...which sometimes feels like living in a bakery. ;) LOL

I'm all or nothing about most everything, and this is no exception. If I don't eat ANY of it, not even the tiniest bite, I'm golden. I can bake bread and cookies and whatnot and be fine. I'm near immune to it.

But if I allow myself to taste it at all...ugh. You know that scene from Finding Nemo where the shark gets that tiny whiff of blood and goes all feeding frenzy? Yeah, that's me. :/
  • kellykw
    Options
    sevencallmemo, that's me! Moderation is great in theory, but it doesn't work so well for me in reality. I too feel like I'm immune to baked goods and sweets at this point. This is going to sound ridiculous, but what they heck, I'll share it anyway. I tend to just tell myself things like "That's not food for you. You don't eat that. That's not your food. You wouldn't eat dog food, would you, so why would you eat something that you know is bad for you and makes you feel terrible?" Yes, I equate delicious sugary foods to dog food. I'm diabetic, though, so I try to be way more strict than most people want or need to be.
  • MaureensFreshStart
    MaureensFreshStart Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that ~ I owned a candy shop for six years, and got in the worst shape of my life because of it, Lol. A little bit of indulgence is Ok, but taste testing DAILY for quality control on countless orders - not so much. I ended up closing the business, and getting away from all that sugar, as I reclaimed my health.
  • annamonster
    Options
    I know how u feel. I to find it so incredibly hard to avoid sweets and cakes.
    But I do think the key is to stop eating it completely for a while. Because its so hard to just cave in and not stop at that one cake/roll/chocolate.
    And later, when more disipline learned, then its probably easier to stop at that ONE treat.

I have been so good lately, im actually very proud. Ive avoided coke, cakes and candy all together. Yesterday I turned 30. And I made cake for the kids and didnt eat any myself. I ate dinner as usual and went to work in the evening. (i work nights)
    BUT, My lovely co-workers who I have not told about my dieting, sure knows how much I love chocolate and Coke.:love:
    They had bought so much candy and served me coke in a wine glass, haha. I felt I could not say no, and.......... I drank all the coke and ate so much chocolate. uhoh.
    And today I have sooooo much craving for coke. And its all because of yesterday...... I too "new" in my new lifestyle to allow my self to any of this, cuz I crack in a second
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

You're rightttt...itt's like that ONE bite will turn into so many more. i need to avoid it altogether..someone once suggested to me havng dark chocolate...im going to try that approach next time i want to avoid a craving and indulge in that way in moderation

In my personal life I am a fan of moderation but I am aware that I make the most progress when I completely abstain from junk food. No matter which method you choose to use just make sure you are being honest with yourself. It is much easier than you think. It is as simply as not eating stealing candy from a baby. Just don't eat the junk food. It gets easier with each passing day. You can do this.

I will say this. Moderation requires the exact same discipline that abstinence does. The truth is one bite doesn't just turn in to 15 you have to actually take 14 more bites. If you are going to use moderation you have to actually use moderation and that means not allowing yourself to binge. Just pick a method that works for you and stick with it. Make sure that you keep your health your highest priority.