Dropping weightS

Options
IronSmasher
IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
Like, every rep, from the peak of the lift. Even deads.

'sup with that?

Replies

• KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Two houses of thought on this:

1. Dropping the weight prevents injury from trying to control a heavy weight on the way down from specific lifts (snatch, C&J, deadlift). I can see where this is appropriate, but it's important to not just simply drop the weight. Control it on the way down, but down try to slow it down terribly. And DON'T do this with equipment not meant for it - that's what bumper plates are for.

2. "If you have enough strength to lift it, then have enough strength to set it down" - this is how I try to work out. I don't have bumper plates, so I won't drop from an Olympic lift. So I stay at a weight where I know I can control it.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I don't get it...

Dude at the gym tries to lift about twice the weight he should, puts all his bodyweight and momentum into moving it, and drops it everytime.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I can't drop my weights because it's my floor that would be screwed.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I saw this the other day at the gym. This 20-something guy was doing bent over single arm rows with a 30 lb weight (which is about the weight I use for it). After ever set, he dropped the weight and huffed and puffed around the bench. I mean, cmon dude.....If a 47 year old out of shape woman can do 30 lb and GENTLY set the weight on the floor, so can you. I'm assuming this was some type of attention-getting move.
  • andrea_wants_abs
    Options
    Yah, I work out at a University Rec Center.. Filled with guys who constantly drop weights.
    I don't get it, I don't like it.

I really feel that you should respect the equipment- It's meant to be lifted, not dropped. I like the line " If you are strong enough to lift it, be strong enough to put it down."
    I feel it goes into finishing your rep.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I always drop my curls and skull crushers.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I've only had to drop deads and push press. And obviously only with rubber weight plates. I can't imagine the need to drop every single rep though. That's a tad much.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Include it the long list of things some people think makes them look cool but really makes them look foolish.
    droopy pants
    smoking
    binge drinking
    muscle shirts that amount to false advertising
    skimpy two piece swim suit on a muffin top body
    spiked collar and huge chain on a pit bull (Pits are actually quite gentle. They are just "drawn" mean looking)

If one can not control the weight going down, one should reduce the weight.
    When I am trying to up my isolated curl weight, I sometimes have to spot on the way up the last two of 8 reps but then slowly let the weight back down. This forces me to actually work the muscles more.
    If I dropped the 75# dumbbells doing RDLs I'd crush my feet. I use the wrist grip straps to ensure my grip strength doesn't give out. :bigsmile:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    then how will the other gym goers be alerted to my badassness?
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

You should hand out flyers instead.
  • assblaster69
    assblaster69 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I sometimes drop it in C&J and if I just see a coulpe regulars who dont care if I drop them. It isn't cool or anything, I don't mind if someone is loud or drops weight either.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Sorry, vital bit of information,

like 15kg a side.
  • IronSmasher
    Options

I like it when the guys that are pressing 12kg dumbbells, you actually see them stand up and actively throw them at the floor so it makes a decent noise.

Makes me chuckle.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    I always drop my curls and skull crushers.

Every rep?

You're doing it wrong.
  • fit_grrrl
    fit_grrrl Posts: 32
    Options
    I don't mind the dropping of the weights as much as i hate it when they roll across the weight room.

This situation happened last week and I nearly tripped over the damn dumbbell - annoying as F***
  • Ninguneado73
    Ninguneado73 Posts: 832
    Options
    I've never seen this problem. Everyone at my gym is on the treadmill.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I only drop the weight after sets of push-ups, because I'm hardcore.
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Did it look like this?
    wf_zps3ec2853d.gif
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Did it look like this?
    wf_zps3ec2853d.gif

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I've read there is nothing beneficial about the negative on the dead lift. It can be down right dangerous for other oly lifts. If you have bumper plates, and a lifting platform, why not?