how do you avoid cravings?!

Options
How do you say no? It's like a day to day struggle for me to resist the cookies, cupcakes, brownies, danish, muffins, eclairs cannolis, cheesecake...
My family decided to open up a bakery so I am here EVERY SINGLE DAY.
And i LOVE sweets.
When we first opened I seriously gained like 10 lbs....but then I started working out at least 4-5 times a week and I try preparing my meals for the day so I don't get hungry (I lost those 10 lbs i gained)..
but THEEEEN sometimes (especially before I get my period)
I'll get such terrible cravings i will BINGE...
and I will avoid working out (because I usually can't move after a day of BINGING)
I literally one time had a peanut butter bar, cinnamon roll, napolean, and danish, and a cookie all in ONE DAY. i SERIOUSLY HAVE NO CONTROL. it's like i become this crazy monster that will put anything in my mouth and i might be so full i cant walk but ill stilllllllllll keep eating. IM SURROUNDED BY IT and i just cant say NO!
Next day I had a few other sweets too but that one day was just torture and I ended up gaining a lb that week instead of losing.
:( this happens to me once or twice a month and it just suuuuuucks i feel like im STUCK.
ill eat healthy...oatmeal..eggs..salmon..asparagus..avocadoe..fruits..all week and then THIS happens

ive heard bout dark chocolate helping? but really does it? or will i eat the WHOLE BAR.

I have 3 weeks until I go on vacation where I need to be in a bikini.
I would love to lose 10 lbs...but I'll be okay with at LEAST 6.
I'm 165 right now ...Im 5'4.5 (last week was 164:( ) and I'm at 30.0% body fat.

my question is..how do you avoid these cravings? how do i just say NO. like i said Ill be good with my diet one week maybe 2 tops and then ill just COMPLETELY fail and all my work gets my nowhere ;(

Replies

• trobbins311
    trobbins311 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This sounds just like me... have been on a binge the last day and I can't seem to stop!!! Any pointers anyone has to keep us motivated and how to get through this? I have lost 32 pounds and do not want to put it back on. HELP!!!!
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I usually get on computer, go outside, clean, anything to keep my mind off eating and avoiding cravings..
  • JAMProphet
    JAMProphet Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Cravings are ROUGH. I try a few things:

1) Water. I always keep a bottle or glass of water nearby. If a get a sweet craving or a food craving, I'll drink a cup of water, which often takes care of it for a while.
    2) Exercise. If I get a craving, I will go walk around for a minute. Even if it is just outside, around the house once or twice. Or pump out a couple of pushups.
    3) Compare. Sometimes, I will calculate the calories of the object of my craving and will convert that into an amount of exercise. If eating one small candy equates to 5 minutes on the treadmill, or if the meal I am about to eat would take me three hours of freeweights to burn off, I reconsider my choice.

Best of luck!
  • kc0809
    kc0809 Posts: 9
    Options
    for me its impossible to stop...good luck!:(
    only way it ends for me is waking up next morning and starting over GOOD.
    making healthy breakfast in morning and going for a workout will tempt me less to continue my binge.
  • kc0809
    Options
    thats a good way to look at it.. i wish instead of calories it wrote how many burpees id have to do to work off that piece of cake. haha
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Me, too! If you figure it out, let me know! I've tried dark chocolate, but I literally eat the whole family sized bar (and then some) boo :(
  • photosarah
    photosarah Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Try brushing your teeth, or gargling sugar or salt water. If you do binge, just work out like hell the next day. If you start associating binging with horrible work outs, perhaps that might help prevent future ones.
  • kc0809
    Options
    Me, too! If you figure it out, let me know! I've tried dark chocolate, but I literally eat the whole family sized bar (and then some) boo :(

that's what im afraid of ! haha
  • kc0809
    Options
    Try brushing your teeth, or gargling sugar or salt water. If you do binge, just work out like hell the next day. If you start associating binging with horrible work outs, perhaps that might help prevent future ones.

maybe the brushing teeth will help hmm havent tried that yet! when i binge i sometimes avoid working out those 2-3 days..so idk:(
  • JAMProphet
    JAMProphet Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Yup! Thats my favorite one! As soon as I discovered that it would take me about one hour of burpees to burn off ONE BAGEL, I said "EFF that ISH!"
  • greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    How do you say no? It's like a day to day struggle for me to resist the cookies, cupcakes, brownies, danish, muffins, eclairs cannolis, cheesecake...
    My family decided to open up a bakery so I am here EVERY SINGLE DAY.
    And i LOVE sweets.

I'll get such terrible cravings i will BINGE...
    I literally one time had a peanut butter bar, cinnamon roll, napolean, and danish, and a cookie all in ONE DAY. i SERIOUSLY HAVE NO CONTROL. it's like i become this crazy monster that will put anything in my mouth and i might be so full i cant walk but ill stilllllllllll keep eating. IM SURROUNDED BY IT and i just cant say NO!

ive heard bout dark chocolate helping? but really does it? or will i eat the WHOLE BAR.

This is how I am. And I would never be able to hang working at a bakery! I could easily eat that times two. I tried the dark chocolate thing, but like you I will eat the whole thing. I know about the brushing your teeth, distracting, drinking water, etc....but that doesn't stop me if the urge has already gotten a hold of me in a bad way. :frown:
  • Cindy679
    Cindy679 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    First of all...let's just say that you're normal!! I think we all struggle with this. Personally, I would have gained sooooo much more than you if I worked in a bakery. All the things that I love!
    First piece of advice - keep on exercising. That's your biggest weapon.
    I give myself permission to eat whatever I want on Sundays, so sometimes knowing that I can have what I'm craving on Sunday helps me to stay strong and not give in that very minute. (And sometimes when Sunday rolls around, I'm not even hungry for that anymore.) Also, if I overindulge on Sunday and feel like a big turd the next day, I still make myself workout (even if it's at a slower pace) and then that usually makes me feel better.
    This was already mentioned, but get out and do something - maybe take up a new hobby?? Get your mind off of food...easier said than done sometimes, I know, but it works.
    This may also sound crazy, but I used to picture a switch in my head and after my pigouts on Sundays,then on Mondays I'd imagine myself flipping that switch to "off" meaning that the permission for fattening foods was turned off and no longer an option for the rest of the week!
  • Joyyfull4u
    Joyyfull4u Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have been a sweet bing also, but what I do is get it out my system and work out extra hard and drink my water and try to eat right during the day. Since it is hot where I live, I make fruit smoothies to curb the sugar craving and it helps. For every day I eat something sweet, I workout an extra day or I workout twice a day. That just means was that piece of dessert worth an extra workout. Helps me stay on track and discipline myself better. I refuse to put myself on a strict diet and stress myself out and make myself sick and off off track. I am a foodie. I like it. So I am willing to do the work . I have been losing weight still. I have lost over 25lbs and down 4 dress sizes. I got more to lose. I don't get upset when that scale does not move, I just say I got to change something up. Whether that be what I eat or what type of exercises I do. My goal is to be at my goal size by the end of the year. So far I'm on track.

But what I have notice and my co-workers have noticed is I am shrinking. All my clothes are too big now. I have to put on a belt for sure to the last loop hole. So losing inches is much better for me. I have been shopping in my closet for clothes that I could not fit and had price tags on them still and I can not fit them.

I take hour or more long walks around the mall looking for my inspiration/motivational outfit and shoes. You would be amazed at how many calories you can burn do this. lolol I cut the grass and weed it front and back yard. I have a son to do that but times I want a different workout routine and that is what I do. I get a workout any way I can, so I don't get burnt out on working out and give up.

There is nothing wrong with treating myself every now and then, as long as I are willing to put in the extra workouts. I plan for my treats, so I can for what workout I plan to do and get my mind right.

Best of luck to you with your weight loss journey!
  • thomcand
    thomcand Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This is what has helped me so far, and I get bad cravings too around that time of the month!

-I make it a must to workout in the morning that way its done and I feel 'healthier' all day and want to be good.
    -Have your food diary open to at least your friends so they keep you accountable. I don't want to cry about not losing weight just to have someone say 'well if you would take a look at your food intake....!" Feel free to add me if you need someone to keep you accountable. I am not a perfect eater and 'cheat' my fair share!
    -Quest protein bars are my new best friend. I work at the hospital and don't always have the chance to sit and eat a healthy something. I get to eat a quick bite here and there between patients. Quest bars are high in protein low in carb and sugars. I get them at GNC or online at Vitacost for fairly cheap. Plus I eat it with A LOT of water and try to eat it with fruit. They have sweet 'treat' flavors so that would be a great substitute for you. Have the cookie dough bar instead of a cookie!
    -Protein smoothies are great! I like to make protein ice cream with it. Mix a scoop of protein powder 8 oz water (or milk if your calories will allow) and 6 ice cubes and blend! I can eat that while my husband has a bowl of ice cream. I am getting 24g of protein and 2 g sugar. And I don't feel deprived!
    -If a substitute will just add to your calorie intake because you REALLY won't be satisfied then have ONE treat. ONE that is just calling your name the loudest. And while you eat it think about how you are feeling, mind and body. Is it worth it to finish. Can you be satisfied with a few bites. A few bites is less to work off then the whole thing. Savor each bite. Walk away after one bite and make yourself busy with anything that is consuming, like cleaning or a walk or go pick weeds! On the upside these activities will 'work off' that bite you just had. Most times I can forget about the craving if I have one bite and get busy with anything else.
  • Cutemisscoco
    Options
    I mostly avoid cravings by not keeping the things I crave in my house, but oh my gosh working in a bakery would be so tough!! My suggestions would be lots of water, eating frequent meals so you're not hungry and craving foods at the same time, gum, and maybe one small daily indulgence at the end of your shift.
  • ThorneDust
    ThorneDust Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    What I do and I've found it to be very helpful is to just have a treat and work it into my daily goals. Like if I know I'm going to want chocolate or ice cream I go ahead and log it then plan the rest of my day around it. Then when the time comes to have it I get my one serving and put it on a plate or in a bowl and eat it slowly and savor it and enjoy it! It's much easier to control cravings when you're not eliminating the things you love completely, which will only set yourself up for binging later.
  • luvya7sandra796
    luvya7sandra796 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    To say , no, all the time to your cravings is not a good idea! To say, Stop, is what you need to be saying! What is that you are craving? Do you really, want it? Stop and ask your self these things! Eat snacks that you like, indulge once in a while! I was a big time junk food freak, I said, I am going to stop! When I have, craving . I sip on green t and then eat an apple! I also drink lots of water and once in a while I drink Hot chocolate with whip cream . So that I can feel like I am cheating a bit! This helps me not to over eat! When you are in the Bakery , make sure you eat a good breakfast and bring or get your self a health lunch! Treat, yourself, once a week! Then try once a month! Then Try to avoid it! With a little consistence with stopping your cravings, you are not going to want to binge! Best wishes! :smile:
  • luvya7sandra796
    luvya7sandra796 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    By the way, my Profile pic is when I was at my craving days! :laugh:
  • dognamedpig
    dognamedpig Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I loooooooooove sweets too.

1. I will eat welch's 100% juice fruit snacks

or

2. I ate oatmeal (flavored instant) instead of the king size hershey bar that I thought about for an hour.

or

3. Greek yogurt (flavored, oikos or yoplait taste best to me)

or

4. Milk and cereal (it keeps me away from cookies and cakes and candy bars)

I know those are not the healthiest choices but I can't keep other stuff in my house or I will break down and eat it. So it's my 'better' choices, not the 'best' choices
  • kc0809
    Options
    First of all...let's just say that you're normal!! I think we all struggle with this. Personally, I would have gained sooooo much more than you if I worked in a bakery. All the things that I love!
    First piece of advice - keep on exercising. That's your biggest weapon.
    I give myself permission to eat whatever I want on Sundays, so sometimes knowing that I can have what I'm craving on Sunday helps me to stay strong and not give in that very minute. (And sometimes when Sunday rolls around, I'm not even hungry for that anymore.) Also, if I overindulge on Sunday and feel like a big turd the next day, I still make myself workout (even if it's at a slower pace) and then that usually makes me feel better.
    This was already mentioned, but get out and do something - maybe take up a new hobby?? Get your mind off of food...easier said than done sometimes, I know, but it works.
    This may also sound crazy, but I used to picture a switch in my head and after my pigouts on Sundays,then on Mondays I'd imagine myself flipping that switch to "off" meaning that the permission for fattening foods was turned off and no longer an option for the rest of the week!

that's an interesting way to look at it- as a switch....i think i will do that..allow myself ONE day to indulge...but maybe an hour of the day and not the whole day,,im just scared all my hard work will go nowhere if i let myself continue to indulge.

not sure what i could do when im at work everyday all day and dont get home till late, only other thing i do is workout whenever i get a chance so 4-5 times a week usually. that def helps my diet but like i said those cravings when they hit,. they hit HARD.