Losing weight with portion control and exercise?!?

Options
I'm a really picky eater and was wanting to know if anyone has lost weight on portion control and exercise alone? I hate being a picky eater but I'm not the type to try new foods although I know I need to start.

Replies

• RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    You are only going to get so far if you don't have proper nutrition.
  • dlg1467
    dlg1467 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    This entire website is full of people using portion control and exercise to lose weight. But you can't just eat junk food and expect to be healthy. Eat the foods you like, and try to add one new thing a week.
  • kaylindeschanel
    kaylindeschanel Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i'm a picky eater as well and that works to our advantage.
    not only does it give you a perfect excuse to turn food down when offered, but it's great because it's like a built-in self-controller.

but the best advice i can give is to eat everything in moderation, nothing in excess.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    This entire website is full of people using portion control and exercise to lose weight. But you can't just eat junk food and expect to be healthy. Eat the foods you like, and try to add one new thing a week.

For sure! You don't specify what kind of stuff you like to eat. You don't have to eat particular foods, just make sure what you are eating is balanced.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely. I don't eat food I do not enjoy just because it is "diet" or "good for me" or whatever. That being said, I do try to push myself to eat.more.vegetables and I attempt to try new foods on 15 different occasions before I give up on them altogether. I am kinda cranky today because I've eaten (and been eh about) both breakfast and lunch and dinner isn't looking promising. I can do this for one day but tomorrow will likely be full of tried and trues.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

This
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    No one has ever lost weight on portion control and exercise, however, almost everyone has lost weight from the caloric deficit that is a result of portion control and exercise.
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    As long as your not like that one chick who hasn't eaten anything except for packaged ramen noodles for the past 10 years... I think you're good.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I second trying things multiple times before deciding you don't like them. Brussels sprouts used to be my most hated enemy. Now I enjoy them because I learned to cook them in a way that I enjoy. (Either pan saute or roasted) You can also blend many veggies and add them to things like meat loaf or sauces so you get the veggies and don't actually "see" them.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Of course you can.

Someone could lose weight on an all Twinkie diet. I don't recommentd it, but it's possible.

With an all Twinkie diet you would be hungry all the time, because added sugar is "empty" calories and not very filling. You would lose muscle mass on an all Twinkie diet because there is not enough protein to mainain existing muscle. You would get very little fiber in an all Twinkie diet .... but when you need to go ....pills can "fix" that.

Less processed, whole foods, have more nutrition & keep you full longer (with less calories). I agree with DLG ... broaden your horizons try something new each week.
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I thought that's why most of us are here... anyhow, yes I think that's how its supposed to go in order to lose weight. I'm particular about my food not really picky but I do understand where you are coming from. As long as you don't have a poor diet that is lacking in nutrition or vitamins or whatnot you should be fine.
  • Cskinner2
    Cskinner2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Healthy eating with portion control and exercising is the only way to go. Make sure to balance out protein and stay away from a lot of starch and sugars
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I'm a really picky eater and was wanting to know if anyone has lost weight on portion control and exercise alone? I hate being a picky eater but I'm not the type to try new foods although I know I need to start.

By eating smaller portions, you will consume less calories, and to lose weight you have to consume less than you burn. So essentially you have the right idea. Keep in mind, your body burns calories whether you're awake, asleep, or exercising. In other words, you will burn calories 24/7, but depending on what you're doing depends on how much you burn. So follow the plan MFP has set up (this includes eating exercise calories back) and you should lose weight. :drinker:

Since you didn't mention what you eat, but just that you are a picky eater. I recommend:
    -trying something new each week
    -taking a multivitamin to make sure you're getting all the vitamins your body needs.
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Lost 50 pounds over here. I eat whatever I want. I have made some conscious choices to limit some stuff that puts weight on me faster than other thingss (ice cream for example) but I still have cookies and cake and candy etc, etc as well as enjoying take out.
  • Losing2Live1989
    Losing2Live1989 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for all yalls advice!
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    My sister is a picky eater & mainly likes to eat CR@P - but you know what, she went from 117kgs to 63kgs by still eating the stuff that she liked but only 1 meal a day & she walked EVERYWHERE. Now, it's not an ideal way to do it but she did it & that was the way she wanted to/could. So do what works for you. The only problem she is finding now (which I think contributed to it) is that she has A LOT of excess skin which probably could have been avoided if she drank more water & ate better foods. But that is just IMO
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I second trying things multiple times before deciding you don't like them. Brussels sprouts used to be my most hated enemy. Now I enjoy them because I learned to cook them in a way that I enjoy. (Either pan saute or roasted) You can also blend many veggies and add them to things like meat loaf or sauces so you get the veggies and don't actually "see" them.

^^This^^

Try things more than once, and made a variety of ways, before you nix them for good. For example, my husband HATES Brussels sprouts most ways, but likes them just fine if they're roasted in the oven and the outer leaves are crispy. He's not fond of fennel, but if it's in with potatoes in a soup, it's good. I don't like sweet potatoes with sugary marshmallow gunk on them, but smoky, spicy mashed sweet potatoes with chiles en adobo are awesome.

Time to figure out what works for you.