is this how many calories I'm allowed?

Options
So I'm a 5'5 femaie at 140 lbs and would like to lose another 10 to get to goal.

My BMR is 1433 and my TDEE at light to no activity (work a desk job) is 1720. So, to lose weight at TDEE - 20% is 1376.

Other days, I'm lightly active, so my TDEE on those days would be 1970. Again, to lose weight at TDEE - 20% it is 1576.

Do those numbers make sense? They seem a little low to me compared to what I've been reading about TDEE, but then maybe the posts of people I'm reading are taller than I am, have more to lose, etc etc. and that's why.

Thanks!

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    With only 10 lbs to lose consider taking a smaller cut, maybe 10 or 15%. You should be eating at least your BMR.
  • YiotaBro
    YiotaBro Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    How come my TDEE - 20% is lower than my BMR? Is that normal?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    How come my TDEE - 20% is lower than my BMR? Is that normal?

It's lower because you are close to goal. Smaller people have smaller BMRs
  • YiotaBro
    Options
    So I should just eat 1433 a day then on days with no exercise?

And then days with a workout I should aim for 1576?

Thanks!
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Use one or the other?

If your bmr is 1433 then eat that and add exercise cals if you choose?

If you are using tdee then eat 1576 and don`t eat exercise cals back?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Use one or the other?

If your bmr is 1433 then eat that and add exercise cals if you choose?

If you are using tdee then eat 1576 and don`t eat exercise cals back?

Yes, BMR plus exercise ..... just be careful because MFP & machines will over state many things.

TDEE should INCLUDE exercise ..... so you don't have to log it here. Just take a % away from TDEE & you will lose weight. If your TDEE less 20% is lower than your BMR ...... then use a smaller %. People close to goal will use TDEE less 10% or 15%
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    So I'm a 5'5 femaie at 140 lbs and would like to lose another 10 to get to goal.

My BMR is 1433 and my TDEE at light to no activity (work a desk job) is 1720. So, to lose weight at TDEE - 20% is 1376.

Other days, I'm lightly active, so my TDEE on those days would be 1970. Again, to lose weight at TDEE - 20% it is 1576.

Do those numbers make sense? They seem a little low to me compared to what I've been reading about TDEE, but then maybe the posts of people I'm reading are taller than I am, have more to lose, etc etc. and that's why.

Thanks!

You don't adjust your TDEE for more or less active days...it's averaged out over the course of a week. So some days you will have a bigger deficit than other days. With TDEE, light active is usually 1-3 hours of exercise per week...again, you don't adjust for each day, just your average activity level over the course of a week.

Also with only 10 Lbs to lose, you're going to need to go slow. Your body is not going to respond kindly to some huge deficit...I'd do TDEE - 10% for only 10 Lbs. Personally I'd go somewhere around 1700 calories or so.
  • YiotaBro
    Options
    I'm probably being a bit of a knob, but since you all give such useful advice, I'm just going to ask one more thing to make sure I have it right.

So, I can eat 1433 and then on days with exercise just eat those calories back (ie. I burn 300 calories in my exercise, I eat an additional 300 calories that day?)
    or
    Just eat 1576 every day, no matter if I exercise or not that day and it should be fine because I'm working out a few times a week anyways.

Also, what would you suggest setting protein/fat/carbs to. I've only got the 10lbs to lose to get down to 130, but I would like to get rid of the belly and try to become a bit leaner.

Thanks - you guys are being awesome responding to me so many times!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options