Cicada - Shrimp of the Land

Replies

• TheShrinkingKween
    TheShrinkingKween Posts: 91 Member
    My favorite cicada recipe involves me running away from them, screaming and flailing my arms.

No calories consumed, calories burned by running away like a freak.

'Nuff said.

THIS!!!
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Eating bugs would be gross.

I had no idea what a cicada was until like the third or fourth time I went to the midwest. Really weirded me out.

Kind of gross to think of them living under the surface of the earth for 17 years until they crawl out, mate and die.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Freeze dry the buggers and make a fortune exporting them to foreign lands that consider the foodstuffs.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    I need the REAL nutrition information on these, please.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    So many places in the world eat bugs, I think it's funny that we're so averse to it. Families make a living selling these treats on the streets in places like Thailand, but we're all "EWW GROSS NEVER. I'll take a McChicken, please." .... spoiled much?

Fried crickets dusted in seasoning taste just like popcorn, no joke. Cicadas, though..... uh, they're big and scary-looking. I don't think I could do that. Or roaches... especially the big hissing ones. Can you imagine hissing cockroach ravioli? Holy crap.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    78137dz_zps4b93329c.jpg

images-1_zps716cfe79.jpg

3658303039_0801d309e7_z_zps6d0a7bb0.jpg
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    So many places in the world eat bugs, I think it's funny that we're so averse to it. Families make a living selling these treats on the streets in places like Thailand, but we're all "EWW GROSS NEVER. I'll take a McChicken, please." .... spoiled much?

Fried crickets dusted in seasoning taste just like popcorn, no joke. Cicadas, though..... uh, they're big and scary-looking. I don't think I could do that. Or roaches... especially the big hissing ones. Can you imagine hissing cockroach ravioli? Holy crap.

Shrimp and lobsters are just insects of the sea. I know one or two people who won't touch them (not counting my Kosher friends, of course), but most people are perfectly content to eat crustaceans but would never even try an insect.

I have tried insects and they taste okay.

Bring on the mini-livestock, I say!
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    I have never eaten them, but i love to hear their call in the summer
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    There is no way in hell I would ever eat anything with an exoskeleton.... unless there was nothing else, even then, debatable.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Who can resist cookies?

Emergence Cookies
    These should look like cicadas emerging out of a little pile of chunky mud!

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup shortening
    3 eggs
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    4oz unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
    2 tsp. baking powder
    2 tsp. vanilla
    2 cups all purpose flour
    1/3 cup sugar
    1 beaten egg white
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts (optional)
    about 60 parboiled dry roasted cicadas (roast for only 8 minutes so that they retain some moisture)

Directions:
    1. In a large bowl, beat shortening with eggs, the 11/2 cups sugar, cooled chocolate, baking powder, and vanilla until well combined, scraping sides of bowl.
    2. Gradually stir in flour till thoroughly combined. Stir in the nuts. Cover and chill for 1-2 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
    3. Meanwhile, stir together the 1/3 cup sugar and beaten egg white. Place cicadas on waxed paper; brush with egg white mixture and set aside.
    4. Shape dough into 1inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Place a cicada on top of each ball, pressing lightly.
    5. Bake in a 375 oven for 8-10 minutes or till edges are set. Transfer to a rack to cool.

Yield:
    60 cookies
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    I literally just threw up in my mouth. Bravo.

Says the one with a bloody lioness in their ticker. ;P

Hey! Fresh zebra's meat is delish!
  • ihad
    My favorite cicada recipe involves me running away from them, screaming and flailing my arms.

No calories consumed, calories burned by running away like a freak.

'Nuff said.

LOL!!!
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    22629.jpg
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    In for...

...wait, what? Cicadas? Eating them?!? Are you out of your flippin' mind?
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    In for...

Yeah man, apparently you can grind their bones to make your bread.
  • ihad
    They seem to be a very versatile ingredient...

Who wants jello?!?!

3520irl.jpg
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    In for...

Yeah man, apparently you can grind their bones to make your bread.

Why do I read everything you post in a sexual way?
  • jbbrannon
    jbbrannon Posts: 167 Member
    Gross!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    I had a cicada living on my balcony for awhile. I called him "Sprinkles". I didn't eat him, although his name WAS delicious.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    I had a cicada living on my balcony for awhile. I called him "Sprinkles". I didn't eat him, although his name WAS delicious.

My kids are always asking for sprinkles on their ice cream. I wonder if this will work . . .