Daily workouts required??

Options
I realize that this may sound dumb but do you have to exercise daily to see results?? I do exercise about 3 days a week and I do HIIT, but I was told that I wasn't doing enough. I have as of recently plateaued . I do so much that I am too physically sore to do it again the next day. Any exercise advice no matter how small would really go a long way with me. Thank you all...

Replies

• mel3491
    mel3491 Posts: 31
    Options
    Great question.. and yes, to do more than maintain, you need more than 3 times a week. It's hard but really experiment until you find something you can live with. Variety is key. Find a friend to go walking with a couple days a week- the time will fly! Try a class you've always wanted to.. good luck!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Judging by your current weight, HIIT may not be your best bet, esp if you are too sore to exercise the following day. I started at 232lbs by walking 1 mile (20min) daily. About every 2 weeks, I increased my distance by 1/2 mile. Then I started walking morning and evening. I am currently walking 2-2.5 miles twice daily and have started C25K training. I attribute the walking and TDEE-20% for my consistent weight loss of 1-1.5 lbs/wk, inches lost in waist, hip, thigh and my awesome calf muscles.
  • Healthynut31
    Healthynut31 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Great question.. and yes, to do more than maintain, you need more than 3 times a week. It's hard but really experiment until you find something you can live with. Variety is key. Find a friend to go walking with a couple days a week- the time will fly! Try a class you've always wanted to.. good luck!
    Thank you. i just have to find a way to do it without feeling so sore and in pain.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different. I've changed my workouts numerous times to get through plateaus. Find something you enjoy, something that works, but also something that really pushes you.

When you get comfortable with a workout, it's easy to stick with it but I've found that changing things up and going outside your comfort zone can only benefit you further. For example, I used to be happy with a 30 minute session on a treadmill, then decided to change my workout to what I call a 15-15-15 workout (15 mins each of treadmill, stationary bike and elliptical). Then I went back to the treadmill but instead of jogging at the same pace for a 30 minute stretch, I went for intervals of fast walking and jogging. Now I do intervals of jogging and running for about 20 minutes.
    I also started going to a boxercise/circuits class which incorporates boxing, cardio and strength training in an hour class (it's run at my uni gym) and I LOVE it as it helps with my strength training (which I don't do nearly enough of).

If you want to see changes, you have to make changes. In terms of how often to workout, I go for about 4/5 times a week (once a week is the boxercise/circuits class, sometimes I do Zumba as well, but I am a gym junkie :laugh: )

Magic word: CHANGE
  • Healthynut31
    Options
    Judging by your current weight, HIIT may not be your best bet, esp if you are too sore to exercise the following day. I started at 232lbs by walking 1 mile (20min) daily. About every 2 weeks, I increased my distance by 1/2 mile. Then I started walking morning and evening. I am currently walking 2-2.5 miles twice daily and have started C25K training. I attribute the walking and TDEE-20% for my consistent weight loss of 1-1.5 lbs/wk, inches lost in waist, hip, thigh and my awesome calf muscles.
    Thank you. I walk anywhere from 1.5-2 miles, bike 2 miles, and weight lifting when I do go to the gym which is usually every other day. So about 3-4 times per week. Thanks again, i will look into something different.
  • Healthynut31
    Options
    Everyone's different. I've changed my workouts numerous times to get through plateaus. Find something you enjoy, something that works, but also something that really pushes you.

When you get comfortable with a workout, it's easy to stick with it but I've found that changing things up and going outside your comfort zone can only benefit you further. For example, I used to be happy with a 30 minute session on a treadmill, then decided to change my workout to what I call a 15-15-15 workout (15 mins each of treadmill, stationary bike and elliptical). Then I went back to the treadmill but instead of jogging at the same pace for a 30 minute stretch, I went for intervals of fast walking and jogging. Now I do intervals of jogging and running for about 20 minutes.
    I also started going to a boxercise/circuits class which incorporates boxing, cardio and strength training in an hour class (it's run at my uni gym) and I LOVE it as it helps with my strength training (which I don't do nearly enough of).

If you want to see changes, you have to make changes. In terms of how often to workout, I go for about 4/5 times a week (once a week is the boxercise/circuits class, sometimes I do Zumba as well, but I am a gym junkie :laugh: )

Magic word: CHANGE
    Thank you. I will definitely try this.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I normally exercise heavy every other day. but try to walk every day. I find that work for me and after the rest day I have more energy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    MFP is a NEAT method calculator...the calorie goal it gives you is a calorie goal that includes a deficit for weight loss without any exercise whatsoever. In fact, exercise is extra activity that needs to be fueled...which is why your calorie goal goes up when you log exercise...it's extra activity.

Weight loss is all about a calorie deficit...you do that with diet...no exercise is required. That said, to be healthy does require exercise.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Increase the amount of moderate physical activity you do daily, and you won't have to do intense exercise as much. Exercise is what we do for health and to look better naked; caloric reduction is what we do to lose fat.
  • Healthynut31
    Options
    Increase the amount of moderate physical activity you do daily, and you won't have to do intense exercise as much. Exercise is what we do for health and to look better naked; caloric reduction is what we do to lose fat.
    Thanks, I like this one!! :wink:
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    4 or 5 days a week but at lower intensity and for shorter (so you're not so sore and so you don't get injured) could help get you off your plateau! Daily exercise isn't necessary, though, everyone needs a few rest days - at least one or two a week!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

This is not good advice. First off, it depends on what you mean by "results". You can lose weight, lots of weight without doing any exercise at all. It's all diet. Now, if you're talking about getting stronger and building a new physique, you have great results with a simple 3-day lifting program. In fact, working out too much can lead to injury - you gotta have rest days in there.
  • Healthynut31
    Options
    MFP is a NEAT method calculator...the calorie goal it gives you is a calorie goal that includes a deficit for weight loss without any exercise whatsoever. In fact, exercise is extra activity that needs to be fueled...which is why your calorie goal goes up when you log exercise...it's extra activity.

Weight loss is all about a calorie deficit...you do that with diet...no exercise is required. That said, to be healthy does require exercise.
    Thank you!!
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I would say that it is very subjective.

Working out will make you overall look better because it will lower body fat and increase muscle. But if you don't mind the squishy skinny you'd not have to workout at all but maintain a deficit that loses lbs.

Since you already work out and you keep a fairly consistent routine I would say it would be a good idea to throw your body a curve ball every other week so that it reminds your body to keep working. The other alternative that you are already suggesting for yourself is increasing work outs. Try doing Strength then cardio each day (from what I hear it works the muscles better than doing the cardio first), instead of doing 3 days a week, jump to 5 if you can and make sure that you increase your intake with your exercise.

Best of luck!
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    If you are too sore to work out, you are doing too much. HIIT is great for burning calories, but yes, it does take it out of you. Maybe drop one (or 2) of the HIIT sessions and replace it with some other cardio, lifting some weights, or something else you enjoy?

Remember - weight loss depends on a reasonable calorie deficit. Make sure you are eating the correct amount of calories. Not too many, and not too few.

Cardio helps to give you that deficit (and of course is good for your cv system) but isn't absolutely required for weight loss. So there are no magical number of days you need to do. If you are currently eating too much (I can't see your diary) then more exercise would definitely help, and allow you to keep eating the same. If you aren't eating enough right now (based on your TDEE), then no amount of extra cardio will help: eat more.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Not at all, but you won't develop a toned body or gain muscles by just eating right. That's the only thing, gotta put in the work for those kind of results.

If you are simply looking to lose weight and nothing more, than eating at a deficit will be enough for weight loss, although it'd probably be at a much slower pace, although I can't say that for certain, because i've always incorporated eating at a deficit and exercise.

ETA. If you are sore, try lowering the pace of your workouts and spread them out more throughout your workout routine.

Also....if you have access, try swimming.. a killer workout and leaves practically no impact on your joints.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    No, you do not have to exercise every day. In weight lifting, they always say that the rest days are as important for improvement as the workout days, and that if you workout the same muscles on too many consecutive days you are not going to see the gains you would with rest. I ran for years just every other day, and saw lots of improvement.
    I think the rest was good for me. The improvement came from how hard I worked out/ran when I did work out/run.
    Weight loss might be different. If you worked out more you would burn more calories.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Try doing some form of cardio every day, changing it up to keep from getting too sore in any one area and alternate between upper body and lower body strength every other day. I like to be a little sore but don't like to work out a part of my body that's sore so I do C25K along with arms and upper body strenght MWF and elliptical along with legs / lower body strength TTh. I've lost 44 pounds and about 18 inches overall. If 5 days in a row is too hard, take a mid-week day off and do something on the weekends, but you get the idea. Be sure to stretch well after your workouts and throughout the day, I've found that it helps me from getting too sore.
  • Copequeen
    Copequeen Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The weeks I don't exercise at all but hit my low net calories, I loose more then weeks I exercise. I exercise to tone not loose. Hitting my calories has made me loose the most weight. I lost 18 pounds in jan, no exercise. 4 pounds in feb no exercise. March 7 pounds with exercise 5 days a week for 30 minutes. April 6 pounds with 2 days a week for 30 minutes, so far in may 8 pounds with just walking leisurely 20 minutes every morning and a few days of cardio. I hit 1100--1300 calories a day. I've also lost about 40 inches. I think it just depends on the person.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    i exercise every day
    cardio- 60 minutes