Help me grocery shop!

Options
Help! I need some help with what kinds of foods to purchase when I grocery shop. Neither my husband or I like to eat salads every day. We prefer to have a little variety.

So tell me, whats on your grocery list?

Replies

• zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I shop the farmer's market for produce - this way I know the produce I get is organically produced and in season and local, which means it tastes WAY more delicious than produce than has been on a truck/plane/freighter for a week from South America. I've found that I like many fruits and veggies more unadorned this way than I ever did buying their bland cousins from the supermarket. Sometimes it may seem more expensive, but it turns out they also last way longer, because they were just picked, rather than losing that week in transport. I have my own chickens but you can also get pastured eggs which turn any pile of veggies into a meal!

I then fill in the staples at Trader Joe's and my local Mexican market - cheeses, soy milk, greek yogurt, peanut butter, nuts, oatmeal, organic garbanzo beans, locally made corn tortillas, etc.

I LOVE (LOVE!!!) food, so I'll never be willing to just eat the same old boring thing each day in the interest of weight loss. Food is my passion and my hobby, so I've found the joy in getting the best possible version of each food and this helps me create healthier meals that are still delicious.

If you don't have a farmer's market or CSA nearby, try to mostly shop the perimeter of your grocery store - that's where all the whole foods are. Only delve into the middle for a specific set of healthy things on your list, avoid the snack/processed aisles.
  • HappyWifeBeth
    HappyWifeBeth Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Last time I went I got salad stuff. But also some fresh fruit. Stuff to make wraps (chicken and fat free cheese), some sugar free jello and pudding for treats, and then cereal. I'm not a super healthy person, so if I replace one meal that would've been fast food with cereal I think I'm doing pretty well :) For dinner we usually have baked or grilled chicken.
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    For breakfast....Kroger CarbMaster yogurt. 60 calories, high protein, low carbs. Sometimes I boil an egg (I've got a chicken coop in the backyard, so I always have eggs!) I have a serving of fruit....banana, apple, grapes, blueberries, strawberries, and coffee...must have coffee mixed with one packet of fat free hot chocolate (25 calories) (LOVE THIS!!!!)....That's more than enough breakfast for me!!!

For on the go lunches, I like Lean Cuisine's....I like their rewards program, and you can find great deals if you coupon. I like the quality and the variety.

Dinner....I'm lucky, hy husband likes to cook. We grill or pan sear salmon,chicken, pork....and on very rare occasions, beef. We don't have meat/fish every night, but maybe three times a week. love the vegetables....especically squash and onions, sauteed cabbage, mushrooms, kale, love artichokes and spagetti squash. (I have a kidney disease that forces me to steer clear of soy, black or red beans, other green leafy vegetables such as spinach or turnip greens...I try to avoid foods with oxalates, unfortunately, its not on food labels)

Snacks.....a cheese stick, carrots, a handful or sunflower seeds or nuts....and another piece of fruit.

.....and I save up calories so I can have pizza or mexican or italian food out every once in a while. We eat out maybe onece every two weeks..
  • Swehl
    Swehl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My list generally looks like this:
    -Eggs
    -Skim milk
    -Whole wheat bread 40 calories a slice
    -Asparagus, onions, broccoli, green beans, green peppers, baby spinach
    -Apples, bananas, grapes, kiwi
    -Chicken
    -Brown rice
    -Yogurt
    -Kashi Go Lean (addicted to this stuff!)
    -Fiber One 90 calorie bars/brownies
  • vaquera19
    vaquera19 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I need to go shopping this weekend, so I might as well make my list now! I've managed to avoid eating a single salad for the last two weeks and have stayed very full. Here's everything I have in my kitchen, with asterisks (*) next to my staple foods as well as how I use everything. I can do a lot of recipes from these items and I'm satisfied with them :)

My calorie goal each day is at 1400, but I try to exceed my goals and eat as close to 1200 as possible (that's the minimum I need to be eating to be healthy) and I also burn about 300-500 calories exercising every day. Nonetheless, I really like to feel "full" and "satisfied", so I like superfoods that taste delicious, leave me satisfied, and don't have a lot of calories. I think I'm starting to get a system down with the following foods, and then I stop by the supermarket on the way home if I'm trying a new recipe or need something I don't use often.

*peppers (green, red, yellow) - toppings for many things like sandwiches, fajitas, quesadillas, and teriyaki turkey burgers
    *butter lettuce - filling for sandwiches and anything else
    *lunch meat (roast beef and turkey) - sandwiches!
    *tomatoes - toppings for just about anything
    *apples - rotate with bananas and yogurt for breakfast and snacks
    *bananas* - rotate with apples and yogurt for breakfast
    *Nature Valley granola bars - great snack
    *spicy brown mustard - makes me forget I used to love mayo on everything
    *pitas - sandwiches
    *chicken - great, filling protein in many meals
    *Dannon Okios Greek yogurt (vanilla) - great for breakfast and I mix it with granola/berries
    *frozen berry mix - great mixed with yogurt and in smoothies
    *Provolone cheese - seems to compliment most things I want cheese with
    *eggs - excellent boiled, scrambled, or fried and compliment many foods
    *shrimp - great in salads, but I like eating a handful as a snack
    *seafood cocktail sauce - I like dipping my shrimp ;)
    *yellow onion - topping and used in a lot of my recipes
    *cottage cheese - SUPER filling and great for breakfast or a quick snack
    *Chocolate milk (the kind in the jug - we have TruMoo 1%) - this is my "sweet" treat for the day
    carrots - I love them as a quick snack and so does my horse!
    rice - great filler or side dish
    pineapple slices/tidbits - I love it as a topping on many things
    teriyaki sauce - teriyaki turkey burgers
    turkey burgers (I buy the patties, but you can buy the ground turkey meat and make your own) - one of my favorite dinners and I don't miss beef
    Toasted berry crumble cereal - granola/berry cereal that I mix in with the Greek yogurt, but I'm moving more toward the frozen
    avocado - an extra flavor to add to a variety of things
    basalmic vinegarette salad dressing - extra flavor on sandwiches
    red onion - topping
    whole wheat hamburger buns - for my turkey burgers
    whole wheat tortillas - wraps
    fish (I get frozen fillets to save $$ and season it with Old Bay seasoning)
    English muffins - alternative to bread and can be used for breakfast sandwiches or snacks or with an egg
    cilantro - this seems to come up in a lot of recipes of mine
    garlic clove - this seems to come up in a lot of recipes of mine
    green onions - this seems to come up in a lot of recipes of mine
    Worcestershire sauce - great for an extra kick with roast beef
    yellow mustard - when I don't want as much of a kick as with spicy brown
    pancake mix - I can get a filling dinner with pancakes and eggs
    lime juice - this seems to come up in a lot of recipes of mine
    olive oil - for cooking chicken or other items on the stove, but can also be used like dressing
    grapes - snacking

That pretty much covers everything I've eaten over the last two weeks! Hope this helps :)
  • BunnyW22
    BunnyW22 Posts: 33
    Options
    I actually need to pick up a few groceries for myself sometimes soon. My husband still isn't too keen on eating better/losing weight and he's kind of a junk food freak. So at least until he comes around we're going to have to shop like roommates and he'll have to hid his stash far away from me. My current list looks like this:
    -Salad mix
    -Red grapes
    -Unsalted roasted sunflower seeds
    -Turkey bacon bits
    - Turkey bacon
    -Apple slices
    -Kiwis
    -Bananas
    -Cantaloupe
    -Honeydew
    -Cucumber
    -Chickpeas
    -Red potatoes
    -Extra virgin olive oil
    -Eggs
    -Turkey burger patties
    - Chicken breasts
    -Shrimp
    -Special K popcorn chips sweet and salty
    -Mini babybel light
  • Peanutbutterx
    Peanutbutterx Posts: 332
    Options
    eggs, boneless skinless chicken breast, light barbeque sauce (or a little of regular) tilapia, 93% lean hamburger meat, fuiji apples, grapes, strawberries blue berries raspberries, light cool whip, baked cheetos, greek yogurt with fruit at the bottom, skinny cow has some good icecreams, bananas, some cereals that you think wouldnt be so good for you actually are they have a lot of vitamins and minerals and not that many calories so i stocked up on some of those last time i went, and 2% milk
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    1. lemons- for iced water with lemon wedge
    2. coffee
    3. butterball ground turkey
    4. yogurt
    5.iceberg garden salad
    6. frozen veggies
    8. microwave popcorn
    9. raisin bran
    10. applesauce