Where do you find your motivation? What is your WHY?

Options

Replies

• LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have a few reasons. The first and foremost reason is that I'm sick of my chronic pain getting the better of me. I want to reduce my pain flare ups so that they are minimal, so that I can enjoy my body and my life the way a normal person can. The second reason is my family. I want to be a good role model for my boys, I want to show them that even people with disabilities can be fit. The third reason is very simple: BETTER SEX! :love: I love my husband and want our relationship to be as intimate as possible. I have a hard time opening up during sex because of my hatred for my own body. I am working hard at changing myself and accepting the things I can not change (like my FMS.)
  • ebonyvi
    ebonyvi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    :brokenheart:
    This is the hardest part of maintaining/losing weight! Honestly it took a really bad breakup to kick myself into working out. I broke up with him, but as he has this persona of the jock/player, I was harassed because apparently "he's supposed to break up with you, not the other way around." I was also told repeatedly that I wasn't pretty enough to be dating him in the first place! Working out kept my mind off him and put me in a position to meet a lot of great looking guys. Now I do it as a stress reliever. I'm an engineering student and while this isn't the same as working 53 hours a week, I can see how you can feel overwhelmed. Turn working out into a stress-reliever and it will become a lot easier:)
  • michellechawner
    Options
    My Whys?

1. I have Fibromyalgia. I have to stay strong, even if I'm in pain, even if I'm sick, because I need to support myself and I do better with small amounts of exercise.

2. Helping support my boyfriend through nursing school while he's stressed and can only work part time - I need to be healthy for US (my ring is comping, yes, I already know that for a fact.)

3. With a ring comes responsibilities. We want a family. I can't be taking any of my Fibromyaglia medication if I become pregnant, so I'm finding holistic approaches to pain and getting off my meds would be a huge plus! No more meds 3 times a day? I'll take it.

4. Because hey, I need to do it for me too - look great and have confidence in myself. My self esteem has always been wavering, and when I look good, I feel good.
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    My motivation is how much better I feel. I feel young! I can run a 5K with my granddaughter or grandson on my shoulders. I can run a half marathon... working on a full. : ) Running makes me feel great! There's so much I want to do! I'm going rock climbing with some friends this summer. I want to try kayaking and swimming this summer. I need to get another bike. My daughter took mine. I'm back in school. There's so much I want to dooooooo.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    My whys:

1. In 2011, my dad was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. By Christmas that year he had lost a lot of weight.....and weighed less than me! :ohwell: That was humbling. So in 2012, I got busy getting healthy and lost 50 lb. And then winter 2012 hit, and my activity slowed to a creeping halt. And I gained 20 lb back. Ugh. So here I am again.

2. My focus this time isn't necessarily on weight loss. I'm focusing on getting stronger and eating whole foods. I know the weight will come off if keep doing what I'm doing.

3. I feel sooooooooooo much better when I'm physically active and not sitting on the couch every night watching TV.

4. I have two friends who keep me motivated. I'm grateful for them.
  • Arloma
    Arloma Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    . Where do you find your motivation and what is your WHY?

Good health and long life!

About 6 years ago I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and my doctor started me on medication which promptly made me very sick. She said it was because my blood pressure had been high for so long and the medication was now starting to work. I saw other members of my family and others I knew on this daily regimen of pills for years and years and did not want that for myself. I asked the doctor if I could try to manage my pressure with diet and exercise. She said yes but that I would need to lose some weight (a little under 30 lbs) which I did and then some over the next several years. I weaned myself off the medication and ever since, every time I get my blood pressure checked it's normal as well as my other stats like glucose, cholesterol etc. I have no intention of gaining the weight back or going back on medication of any kind so my motivation is telling myself, this is keeping you fit for life and off medication. Of course I also love all the compliments and the way all my clothes are now too big and being an inspiration or motivation for others who also want to lose weight.
  • torymichaels
    Options
    Each morning when I look at my twin daughters and son. Born with a heart defect myself (surgically corrected, but I've had a pace-maker for 8+ years now because of the birth defect), I have one MAJOR strike against me for a long life. For a very long time, I disregarded that and I can't do that any more if I want to be around for my children.

:glasses:
  • MissTanyaz
    MissTanyaz Posts: 17
    Options
    One word..."RESULTS"! I started hitting the gym 5-6 times a week for the past 3 weeks, always doing an hour of cardio jogging on the treadmill and about 10 mins with weights. Though Im still a newbie at this, still trying to finding my place with weight training and eating right (yes I gave up fast food and everything fried) I feel great! I push myself in the gym and feel myself getting stronger, working muscles that haven't seen action in years! My current weight loss is only 4 lbs, which may be off due to my tom the last time I weighed in, but I am totally motivated and excited to see how Im progressing. Maybe something is wrong with me but its a slight rush and feeling like no other.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    My motivation has several parts but everything boils down to health.

1. I am a caregiver and have been for over a decade. That in itself creates all kinds of stress. If I don't feel well, I am far less able to handle that stress and then it becomes a vicious cycle. I need to take good care of myself in order to take good care of my partner. I need that energy, those endorphins, and that endurance.

2. I have a family history of diabetes and heart disease. My mother died within a month of turning 57; I am 54. I'm in much better shape than she had been (she suffered her first heart attack at age 44; I am currently disease-free, knock on wood). But watching her health deteriorate from the time I was 10 and losing her when I was 23 forms part of what I call my "background radiation."

3. I've been a lifelong yo-yo. My main motivation is not so much losing weight (been there, done that, time and time again) as it is establishing good, sustainable eating and exercise habits, which had not been part of my upbringing. Maintaining will be my main challenge, especially maintaining through stressful periods. I've been working on developing and implementing healthier stress responses.
  • jrortega1912
    jrortega1912 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Because every female in my family has never seen the age 60. My sister and I are going to change it !
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    My 1st thought when I wake.."God Im getting sexy" then I feel my abs.
  • LJGettinSexy
    LJGettinSexy Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have 3 why's:

1. I have scoliosis & I find the stronger I become, the less back pain I get on a daily basis.
    2. I already look good in clothes, but I want to look even better in my bikini & naked!
    3. A lot of people in my family are overweight; My father has a lot of health problems that I may inherit, overweight, diabetes, diverticulius, the list goes on & on & if I am eating clean & working out, most of these things won't happen to me. I'll be strong & won't have to see my dr as often as I get older.

I'm just wondering if you already look good in your clothes why are you on a weight loss site?
  • missability
    missability Posts: 223
    Options
    <<< She is 3, it took 9 years to get her, she was never supposed to happen, and she's all the motivation I need:)
  • jmleffler
    jmleffler Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    1. I hate being this large. I weigh almost as much now as I did the day I gave birth to my youngest daughter. I hate being self-couscious and having such a negative self-image. I want to feel good about my body again.

2. I really want to have a third baby. I know it wouldn't be ideal to get pregnant at this weight. That's a big motivator.

3. I do not want my daughters to pick up on my body images and then transfer that to their own. They are 4 and 2, still young, but it's definitely something I am aware of.

4. I need to be around for my family. I do not want become diabetic and have a host of weight-related health conditions.
  • lisahewitt22
    lisahewitt22 Posts: 102
    Options
    I just always think about how much better I'm going to feel spending time with friends if I don't have to be self conscious anymore..

Oh yeah and because I want to look hot :wink:
  • LJGettinSexy
    LJGettinSexy Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My motivation...I need my sexy back. I'm getting older but feeling like I'm ready to take the world by storm but I don't have that swag. So I feel like losing all the cellulose and belly fat will give me the swag I need to be the best me, Sexy as hell!!!
  • royvor
    royvor Posts: 271
    Options
    These are my reasons for why
    •Watching people on youtube that did it Divaslimsdown/
    •To feel happy/ Para sentir me feliz
    •To begin to live life how I want to/ Para empezar a vivir mi vida como quiero
    •To feel proud of my self/ Para sentirme orgullosa de mi misma
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I am strange I don't believe in motivation. I will always be motivated at the start then a few months in it begins to slide. So I have started telling myself I need a routine. Some times I'm not motivated to go to work but hey I have too so I am up dressed and out the door before I have a chance to think about it. Same goes with working out and eating healthy. Once it becomes part of my routine I just do it. Works for me lol.
  • msmichydo
    msmichydo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My motivation comes from hoping to run into my EX!

Touche! :drinker:
    For me, it is a number of things. I have always been the "tall, chunky girl" in the family, I've never been lean and I've never felt that spectacular about my body. My sister and mom and I are all close, and the two of them are shorter and have always been thin. My motivation comes from them -- being able to see my resemblance with them instead of being the "fat, ugly, tall sister/daughter". Haha.

I also want to look sexy, and when I work out, I feel incredible (yesterday I ran 5.23km in 32 minutes, I haven't been able to do that before in my entire life, and I'm really proud that I've been able to accomplish that); I'm now at a stage where I'm addicted to working out because of how good it makes me feel, how much healthier my mind is, and how stress-free I've become! :glasses:
    Looking good with and without clothes is also an added-bonus. It'll help me feel more confident with finding a great guy to hang out with and be able to be in a healthy relationship with someone. Wahoo for great sex. :bigsmile:
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    My motivation comes from taking my progress photos once a week and seeing the small changes that add up. Plus, I keep notes of other non scale victories, like being able to adjust my seatbelt easier, being able to trot itch the dog, having energy to play ball with the kids.

My food diary reminds me that all is not lost if I screw up. My trend downward is continuing.

But mostly my motivation ones from friends here who cheer each other on and seeing that we are all fighting the same battle.