how do you avoid cravings?!

Options
2»

Replies

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    yep, that is hard working in a bakery. I work in a grocery store and that is bad enough. I use to blaim my place of work on me getting fat. But finally I decided I was choosing to be fat. I got some protein shakes and protein bars (chocolate) and that helped a lot. I ate good healthy stuff when I was home. I think we have to make up our mind to not choose to be fat.
  • Ashshell
    Ashshell Posts: 185
    Options
    I give in to my cravings, but stay within my calorie limit. You have to be serious about wanting to lose weight and sticking to your goal or you will care more about eating 6 cookies instead of the 2 that will keep you below your goal. Drinking water, chewing gum, blah blah blah isn't going to help you if you aren't ready to buckle down and lose the weight. I've been there and I know how it is. You just have to make the decision to work hard.
  • ashleachrysafis
    Options
    Sorry if somebody has mentioned this already but I also have this problem and have been doing some research on things that may help... Apparently evening primrose oil is amazing for it (advised to triple dose for first month then the normal 1000) I've just bought some and going to give it a go myself x hope this helps x
  • djkprojects
    djkprojects Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Sorry if somebody has mentioned this already but I also have this problem and have been doing some research on things that may help... Apparently evening primrose oil is amazing for it (advised to triple dose for first month then the normal 1000) I've just bought some and going to give it a go myself x hope this helps x

Please do let us know how you got on with it. I can resist eating cookies during a day but the problem starts at night as I often get up half asleep and crawl to the kitchen to grab something sweet :P The way I'm fighting this atm is by saving on carbs and overall calorie intake during a day + gym so I have some reserve ;) It seems to be working as I'm actually losing weight and quicker than I thought.
  • UrnAsh
    UrnAsh Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I sometimes give in. Take fruit with you.
  • melissawannaloseweight
    Options
    I also let loose on the weekends. For the most part it works! If I binge it goes on for a few days and then it's really hard to get back into the program. I like having a day to have whatever I want! It's great:) It's staying with the exercise program that is tough for me. If I feel I failed on my diet I will slack off on working out. Don't advise that!
  • jandjcassidy
    jandjcassidy Posts: 143
    Options
    I use Shakeology, I's helped with my cravings!!! And also try to think about do I really need those extra calories!! Maybe chew a piece of gum have a glass of water!
  • wendrobn
    wendrobn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has 100 Calorie Dark Chocolate Bars if you want to give Dark Chocolate a try.
  • mrsPaananen72
    mrsPaananen72 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Only way for me is LCHF diet. Now it´s easy, no cravings at all.
  • VegKate
    VegKate Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I eat what I crave...in a very small quantity, like one square of a chocolate bar, or one spoonful of ice cream. Also, going outside and going for a walk helps too (and burns calories!).
  • ashleachrysafis
    Options
    Lol that's really controlled! Well done you
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    All right, I will probably get flamed for this, but; If there is room in my cal allowance after exercise, I'll eat it and log it. ( Usually not more than three bites). If there isn't, I'll pass. Ask yourself, would I rather eat that chocolate truffle cheesecake, and it will be gone in two minutes, or watch your weight loss continue to go down? Works for me. I still have two dozen Cadbury caramel eggs I bought after Easter and haven't touched them yet. NOTE;To the trolls, don't bother to tell me I'm not being supportive. The question was, what works for you?
  • marygee1951
    marygee1951 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Looks like you can ignore the sweets and do well for a week or two, then you binge.

Maybe you should pick a few days every week where you can have a treat --- like work it into your daily allotments on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays - that way maybe you won't feel deprived so there won't be a need to binge. I'm not a sweets eater, but I couldn't work around sweets every day and not give in.

BTW, Enjoy your vacation!
  • melonay
    melonay Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I get this way too!! And it's SOOOOOOOO HARD!!

But honestly, this is what helped. Because I just friggin' love cookies...

Ricecake, plain and unsalted... drizzle honey on it. That's all. It's like a big, sweet, delicious cookie. And, if you drink a glass of milk or whatever with it, it will help make you feel more satiated. Best trick in the book. You can top it with other stuff, like nuts or something, but I just go with the honey and that works for me.
  • lomogeek
    lomogeek Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    So glad to hear i'm not the only one. These past few weeks have been horrible!

The main thing I do is to drink a big glass of water when mine come on but even that doesn't always do the trick.
  • mikesanch2891
    Options
    I just make whatever i'm craving fit my macros. One thing that you can do is eat one piece of whatever you want and then wait 15-20minutes and if you want another one then eat another one and wait 25-30min. That's what i do on a cheat day, i usually have just 1 piece of whatever im craving then after the 15minutes i don't want another one.
  • DivaMaria225
    DivaMaria225 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Cravings are ROUGH. I try a few things:

1) Water. I always keep a bottle or glass of water nearby. If a get a sweet craving or a food craving, I'll drink a cup of water, which often takes care of it for a while.
    2) Exercise. If I get a craving, I will go walk around for a minute. Even if it is just outside, around the house once or twice. Or pump out a couple of pushups.
    3) Compare. Sometimes, I will calculate the calories of the object of my craving and will convert that into an amount of exercise. If eating one small candy equates to 5 minutes on the treadmill, or if the meal I am about to eat would take me three hours of freeweights to burn off, I reconsider my choice.

Best of luck!

Best advice...thank you! You are right about the exercise....they say your hunger gets curbed for 3 hrs...so heres to them crunches!
  • skinnybetch78
    skinnybetch78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have had a lot of issues with binge-eating...I'm a pro! Someone on MFP gave me the best tip I have every had: a coloring book. I know this sounds silly, but it works. I bought myself new crayons and a My Little Pony coloring book (to take me back to my childhood!), and it gives me something brainless yet strangely satisfying to do. I'm not sure how easy this would be for you in your environment, but think about it. And definitely keep exercising. It will help. Good luck!