Drop in shoe size

Options
I just went and bought a pair of winter boots and they are a size 8! I am normally a size 9-9.5. I'm wondering if losing weight affects your shoe size. I've lost 7kg in the last 5 months and about 11kg in the last year. Not a huge amount and I wouldn't think enough to make that much of a difference.

Replies

• Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I just went and bought a pair of winter boots and they are a size 8! I am normally a size 9-9.5. I'm wondering if losing weight affects your shoe size. I've lost 7kg in the last 5 months and about 11kg in the last year. Not a huge amount and I wouldn't think enough to make that much of a difference.

I do that too. My feet are wide so I have to wear bigger sizes many times. But after losing weight my feet slims down too.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    yep. pressure on your feet can cause the bones to spread. that's why pregnant woman can gain a shoe size.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Happened to me too - Went from a 7.5 to a 6.5 (and sometimes a 6)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    yep. pressure on your feet can cause the bones to spread. that's why pregnant woman can gain a shoe size.

Also, swelling during pregnancy. But, that goes away right after pregnancy. The bone spread takes a little longer. I went up to a size 6 (which I liked because I had more shoe options) and now I'm down to 5 and a half (I can't walk in a 6, without them flipping off my feet).
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    different types of brands of sures are to take into consideration.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Also, swelling during pregnancy. But, that goes away right after pregnancy. The bone spread takes a little longer. I went up to a size 6 (which I liked because I had more shoe options) and now I'm down to 5 and a half (I can't walk in a 6, without them flipping off my feet).

How long did it take you? My baby is 18 months and I'm still a half size bigger and in a wide....
  • Susieout
    Susieout Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't think so but YES. My feet went up a whole size when I put weight on, and I was surprised!
  • YolieCreator
    YolieCreator Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've been able to go down half a size since I started working out. Its awesome! Lol. Went from a 9.5 10 to just 9.5
  • becnaffine
    becnaffine Posts: 55
    Options

How long did it take you? My baby is 18 months and I'm still a half size bigger and in a wide....

My youngest is 19 months and I only just bought a size 8 (from a 9) today but I have lost some weight. I had to get some size 10's when I was pregnant! Could just be the boot make but I guess the only way to know for sure is to buy more shoes.....yay!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

I'm not sure, but I think it was a couple years. It's not noticeable if I wear sneakers because I wear socks, tie them, and use custom fit orthotics. And I don't wear dress shoes all that often. So, it may have gone back down sooner than I realized it.
  • Zilla100
    Zilla100 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I do that too. My feet are wide so I have to wear bigger sizes many times. But after losing weight my feet slims down too.

This is very good to know. *looks sadly at cute little heels in the closet that feet are currently too fat for*
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have always been a uk size 5. Then put on weight and went to a size uk 6. Now I have lost weight I am back to a uk 5.
    Not much difference and can still wear all my shoes. I don't know how women cope with having to replace a whole wardrobe of shoes.
  • dpollet2
    dpollet2 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yep, I am a size 9 when significantly overweight or pregnant and a size 8.5 when at a normal weight. My feet are always wide though. :cry:
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Yup, your feet gain weight too as your body does. Just like you can notice your wrists get smaller. Your feet shrink too.
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I have heard that if you lose weight your feet shrink too. I grew up in Adelaide, love the place and hoping to go back for a visit soon, love in NSW now!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    To lose that much in shoe size may be due to the cut of the shoe - I bought a pair of shoes (6.5) and a pair of sandals (7) BOTH from M&S at the weekend - the 6.5 in the sandal was too SHORT! not too tight. Bizarre.

Also your feet swell when you are hot, so if you buy shoes at the end of a day shopping you may find them too big. My feet have been so cold this week all my shoes feel too big.
  • ds1007
    ds1007 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I feel like my shoes are all stretched out too, but I think it's because my feet are shrinking. I'm going to have to go show shopping soon, as my right shoe is constantly falling off at work now.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options

No, I belive it is because your body secrets a hormone during pregnancy to allow the ligments to stretch easier ( so giving birth is easier, lol), and that is what makes your feet to get bigger. It isn't related to the weight gain, and might not go away. My feet are a size bigger than before having kids, but my wieght is the same as before (I am not overweight).

Answer the OP's question: of course you lose weight in your feet, just like you lose it every where else, so it can make your shoe size change.
  • wibbley74
    wibbley74 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    glad its not just me
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    peggyssexfeet.png

I have had peggy hill feet no matter what I weigh. I am jealous of you now!