Plateau tips pleeeeeeease?!!

Options
2»

Replies

• elizabethwolf
    Options
    come on guys i'm 17 and i'm teaching you old folk ;)
  • JakeBrownVB
    JakeBrownVB Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    come on guys i'm 17 and i'm teaching you old folk ;)

Sorry to say but yo teachin be dodgy

Starvation mode aint hit over night.. it aint even hit in 2 days. But I aint gonna nit pick temanoilgy.. There is no way in hell if you stay at a caloric deficit that your body is gonna start storing fat... it aint gonna happen..

Your metabolism will slow (no where even close to the extent you make out) but your body just aint gonna store fat for the hell of it when your at a deficit.

If you use 2000 calories a day and only eat 1200.. your body aint gonna choose to use 800, store away 400 as fat because fuk it.. and then magically find 1200 from thin air..

You will only gain when you go into a caloric surplus.. and yes it.. it will be a larger gain then usual.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    yeah technically because your metabolism slows down because you don't have to satisfy as many bodily processes. metabolism is the rate at which respiration in your cells occur. respiration releases energy so the muscles can contract and relax but you're not moving as much when you're asleep and your breathing and heart rate also slow down so yeah your metabolism slows down, less extreme than going on a fast though because our body is used to sleeping and always expects to sleep whereas it doesn't expect to fast in the day

so how long does it take for starvation mode to like, kick in? like after your last meal how many hours or days until your body is like woah.... starvation mode time!?!
  • JakeBrownVB
    Options

so how long does it take for starvation mode to like, kick in? like after your last meal how many hours or days until your body is like woah.... starvation mode time!?!

Days and days..

Ignore this starvation mode.. its the biggest load of BS in the dieting world.. seriously. It is the most commonly believed myth in the world.
    Yes it does exist, but you will never hit it.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

Days and days..

Ignore this starvation mode.. its the biggest load of BS in the dieting world.. seriously. It is the most commonly believed myth in the world.
    Yes it does exist, but you will never hit it.

i know, just love hearing about it. its like being told about dragons that ride unicorns and popcorn that doesn't go soft in the rain.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    And for sure its the way to break a platue. Calories being too low aint de reason for the platue, its just her body getting used to functioning on those calories is all.

Sometimes too low calories IS the reason for a plateau. I'm not talking about "starvation mode" either. Sometimes when the deficit is just too low, you may not be eating a starvation diet (which is where the mode really lies) but your metabolism slows because it adjusts to the lower calorie deficit. You may still lose weight, of course, just slower than expected, and thus, a perceived plateau.

I was eating 1500 calories a day for months thinking that this was grand. I also wasn't losing pounds doing it even though it was definitely a deficit. Last month, the only change I made was to increase my calories to TDEE-20% which for me is 300 calories MORE than what I was eating. My exercise routines stayed the same, I just ate more. And I lost a dress size (went from a 6 down to a 4), lost body fat (down to 22% from 23.8%), and lost 4 pounds (from 140 to 136) in the past month. I started last year at 142 pounds, so I lost a whopping 2 pounds all year eating 1500 calories, and then I lost 4 pounds and have to give away my "fat" pants which are only a size 6 after 3 weeks of eating the proper amount for my body.

I was NOT in "starvation mode," but my metabolism had simply become slower after adjusting to a deficit that was between 35-40% below my TDEE. Definitely not starving, but definitely not losing.

I'm sure IF would work for me, too, provided I was eating the proper amount of calories. According to the IF calculator that I looked at, the amount of calories that I was recommended to eat was...ta-da...exactly what I upped my calories to recently which leads me to believe that it is the amount of calories, not when I ate them, that made the difference for me.

Just sayin...

:flowerforyou:
  • JakeBrownVB
    Options
    No I agree with you! going at any number of calories will eventually create a platue even if is a deficit, and yeah its not starvation mode its just adjusting to the deficit and the routine. Just like a gym routine that you stick at for too long.. your body gets used to it and you stop gaining as much muscle. Shaking your body up wether it be with a fast, calorie increase, cheat day, Intermmitent fast will usually always break any platue you have hit.
  • aneema31294
    aneema31294 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    hey ,also experiencing a plateau I follow if 20/4 Intermittent fasting I'm really active I do hiit 3 times a week aswell as sprints and weight training ????
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    There's is no starvation mode if there was they'd be no anorexics or malnourished people
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    What's your current weight? What's your goal weight? Height? How many calories are you consuming daily? Are you eating back any of the calories you burned off? How are you tracking how many calories you've eaten are you using a scale or eye balling it or reading the labels?
    Please answer theses questions, and we will be able to respond better.
  • pikachuFL
    pikachuFL Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I tend to get stuck on a plateau 6 months into a diet so this time, I plan to go to a maintenance plan for about a month when I plateau and just let my body readjust. After that, I'll scale the calories back down again and get back to losing weight!

For smaller plateaus, I've found that increasing my calorie count just a little bit (by 100 calories or so) helps. I think your body starts holding on to weight when it feels like it's in danger of starvation.