Bullcrap claims from sources you should be able to trust.

TitaniaEcks
TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
http://bostonherald.com/entertainment/health_fitness/mr_fit/2013/03/5_more_tips_to_think_about

"1) Your brain alone needs 130 grams of carbohydrates a day, without that, you can expect headaches and other performance detriments."

Uh, total horsecrap. I consume under 20 grams of carbs a day total - yes, I painstakingly count carbs - and my chronic headaches actually STOPPED when I started following this diet. I have never felt better.

It seems to me like the grain industry lobbyists are at it again. Last time they screwed us over was when they had the "food pyramid" made. You know that facepalmer - the one that tells you to eat SIX TO ELEVEN SERVINGS OF GRAIN PER DAY. And then you wonder why Americans are fat as hell. And why our obesity rate started spiking right after the "food pyramid" came out.

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    I can agree with some of what you said. You don't need 130+ grams of carbs a day to avoid headaches and other performance detriments...

However, I disagree with your sentiment that grains have somehow caused obesity. Grains on their own do not make you fat. You can eat an all grain diet and still lose fat if you are under your TDEE. (Why anyone would do that is beyond me, but the possibility of doing it is still there)

Serving sizes of grains are actually quite small. ONE piece of bread is a serving. Have a sandwich for lunch and dinner and you already have 4 servings right there. So it's pretty easy to stay under your calorie goal following the food pyramid (which I don't, just saying this to make a point).

But, yes, mainstream media is nothing but hype and propaganda no matter where it comes from. Thank goodness for peer reviewed scientific articles that we can peruse and make decisions about concerning what we choose to eat and not eat. I mean, looking bad just over the past 5 years we can see that there is pretty much nothing that we eat that won't cause cancer at some point, according to MSM.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    When it comes to nutrition, big news outlets tend to get it wrong a lot. One exception is Wall Street Journal-their health section references peer reviewed studies, and I find it quite helpful.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    If you're a sugar burner you'll get a headache if carbs are kept too low but that's because of the transition into ketosis. I've gone through the keto flu a few times and I feel a little drained but even after when I feel better my lifting performance is crap. My lifts not only stall but slide backwards. I've accepted that if I want to keep putting weight on the bar I need a bare minimum of 70g carbs a day. However, I do lose hella weight on keto.
  • amdarosa619
    amdarosa619 Posts: 98 Member

Uh, total horsecrap. I consume under 20 grams of carbs a day total - yes, I painstakingly count carbs - and my chronic headaches actually STOPPED when I started following this diet. I have never felt better.

I also suffer from chronic migraines and, although I don't count carbs, I noticed a big difference in the frequency and intensity when I minimized gluten, processed food, and I increased my water intake.