• dorietwo
    dorietwo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    HAS ANYONE TRIED ALLI, I HAVE BEEN ON IT FOR A WEEK AND HAVE LOST 3 LBS
    DORIE
  • Bekah
    Bekah Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Have you had any side effects?? I bought and returned it in a couple of hours after reading reviews about I was to worried about some of the stated side effects??
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Alli works similar to Meridia (meaning it prevents absorpbtion of fat - however the drugs work in different locations in the gut.) Note - Alli is NOT an appetite suppressant. Below is an excerpt from the website (www.myalli.com):

alli in the body

You're probably curious about what alli™ does in your body.

The active ingredient in alli attaches to some of the natural enzymes in the digestive system, preventing them from breaking down about a quarter of the fat you eat. Undigested fat cannot be absorbed and passes through the body naturally. The excess fat is not harmful. In fact, you may recognize it in the toilet as something that looks like the oil on top of a pizza.

Ewww... anyways, I did research on this when I heard it first came out, however I already eat a diet very low in fat, thus this drug would probably not have that much impact on me. The side effects for people who do splurge and eat a high fat meal will probably not be pretty, and in the long run might end up in some vitamin/mineral deficiencies.

I can see the benefit of using this drug for folks who are just getting started and can't quite let go of the deep-fried stuff - I bet after a couple of rounds in the loo after a big fatty meal, either the drug or the fatty food will go! LOL.
  • mydietplan
    mydietplan Posts: 10
    Options
    IN MY OPINION:
    I THINK THAT IT IS NOT WORTH WHAT YOU PAY FOR IT! FOR ONE IT IS ONLY HALF THE STRENTH OF THE REAL DOSAGE. FOR TWO IT IS ONLY SOMETHING FOR LONG TERM TO LOSE A FEW EXTRA POUNDS PER YEAR!! YOU CAN DO THAT!! IF YOU ARE NOT EATING AN EXTRA LOT OF FATTY FOODS ARE YOU REALLY DISPOSING EXTRA FATS OR WHAT YOU JUST PUT IN YOUR BODY? IT IS PERSONAL PREF. BUT I CAN NOT SEE DOING IT? JUST MY THOUGHTS NOT TRYING TO MAKE ANY WAVES OR HAVE HARD FEELINGS.
    TERRI
  • avr1321
    avr1321 Posts: 96
    Options
    i heard alli can bring about really really serious side effects. like one minute your all in white, and the next its brown. if you catch my drift.
    its sorta like your on heavy duty laxatives.
  • lucie_dobbins
    Options
    I agree the side effects are not worth the amount of money it costs. I don't think spending my life in the bathroom is a good trade off. HA!
  • wendygoulet
    Options
    I live in Canada I'm not sure they are selling it here yet, but I did check out the website it looks worth a try is it very expensive ?
  • femmerides
    femmerides Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    hey there, i've been taking alli for about 2 weeks and i've been really diligent about following the directions for alli. i haven't exceeded the 15 fat grams at any meals and have not experienced any side effects. i think it's definitely worth it. i've lost 8 pounds in less than 2 weeks! i had been at a plateau for SO long that alli is helping me start losing again. i highly recommend it.
  • hibbler22
    hibbler22 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about this Alli, bc my doctor gave me Xenical and its suppose to be almost the same that was a few years ago I never took it. but it seems if you dont follow the guidelines you will mess your clothes with this. I wouldnt recommend it to a busy person on the go!
  • kayovercomer
    Options
    I looked into that once but I won't take a chemical drug if I can prevent it. There are just too many success stories (some right on here!) about people losing huge amounts of weight without gimmicks. For me, this is a gimmick.
  • ness13hill
    ness13hill Posts: 114
    Options
    I had a friend that did it. It worked really well for her, and she followed the diet really closely. She did say though that some of the side effects as in bodily functions were very unpleasant, but she lost a good amount of weight. I guess it is kind of a trade off...I dunno.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    it seems to me (and I could be way off here) that if you follow the alli "rules" you won't have the side effects, yes, but eessentially by following those rules you're doing what will cause you to lose weight anyway.... right? it just sounds like a waste of money to me. I don't really get it.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    here's the problem with Alli.

1st, it binds to digested fats, which means when you eat food, what ever fat is in there, a percentage of it is bound up and is treaded like non-digestible fiber in the body, and is shed through the bowels without being broken down. That's fine BUT that means that you can't track your calories correctly because you aren't using all of them, AND it does nothing for carbohydrates or proteins.

2nd, the ALLI website itself puts you on a calorie restrictive diet. OF COURSE you're going to lose weight if you're on a calorie restrictive diet, whether you block fats or not. Why do you need to play with your body chemistry and introduce foreign substances if you're going to do a calorie restrictive diet anyway.

3rd, the body NEEDS a certain amount of fats. Some fats aid in the absorption of vitamins, and FAT is a primary fuel source for the brain (that's why they call fish brain food, high in omega 3 fatty acids). You limit your fat intake too much, and you can feel sluggish, and your skin and some organs suffer.

4th, there is a high risk of anal leakage and yellowish discharge at any time. I don't think ANYONE likes the sound of that.

I'm pretty sure that sums it up quite nicely. Is it dangerous? Technically, not really, but it doesn't really do all that much, it's more a mental game they play then a real weight loss aid.

I'll say it again guys, THERE IS NO MAGIC PILL!
  • csnealey
    csnealey Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I HAVE BEEN ON ALLI FOR 1 1/2 MONTHS NOW AND HAVE LOST 10 POUNDS. AS FOR THE SIDE EFFECTS, IF YOU STICK TO A LOW FAT DIET YOU WILL NOT HAVE ANY. MOST PEOPLE THAT HAVE THESE TERRIBLE SIDE EFFECTS MUST BE EATING TOO MUCH FAT. IT HAS WORKED GREAT FOR ME. I AGREE THAT ONE CAN LOSE THE WEIGHT WITHOUT ALLI WITH A PROPER DIET AND EXERCISE; BUT FOR SOMEONE THAT NEEDS A BOOST TO GET STARTED, I THINK ALLI IS A GOOD CHOICE. THE MAIN FACT IS, YOU MUST CHANGE YOUR EATING HABITS AND THAT IS MAINLY WHAT ALLI HAS HELPED ME WITH.