Happy = Food

Options
this is spurred by another post I entered this morning. How I chose not to buy the box of donuts and instead bought 1 donut for each child instead, my theory being both my children and I will pick at the remaining donuts until they are all gone.

There was a time when I would do ANYTHING for my son, although I have two children my son has a rare illness and is physically disabled. I would over compensate for his physical restrictions by giving him everything else he wanted, I rarely if ever said no.
If buying my son a box of donuts made him happy, so be it, candy bar, bag of chips, whatever, I would do it and along with him I would indulge as well. telling myself, its just mountain dew, its just cookies, I deserve it after all I sacrifice and am responsible for, poor me. Same attitude towards my son, his life is hard enough as it is, might as well keep him were I do have control. Make him his favorite foods. Well of course my son is overweight, he can't build muscle so his BMI is off the charts, plus he can't be physically active so he doesn't burn calories all day.
I turned my life into his, I thought I would be rubbing it in his face if I was thin, healthy, active.
Unfortunately I wasn't the smart one who saw how dysfunctional that was, my son did.
He saw all the sacrifices his little sister had to make because our lives were restricted by his inability to participate physically, he saw how tired and unhappy I was from being overweight, how I was often too cranky to engage my children, especially my daughter in physical activity.
He encouraged the change, once he gave me 'permission' to live my life differently, that I didn't have to give everything up for him, then I became the adult and I am the one responsible for the follow through on the good decisions.
I am the one who now has to say no to the candy bars, chips, pizza everyday, donuts, my own soda addiction.

Its hard but nothing inspires me more then seeing my son live his life despite his restrictions. It helped me to change my attitude as well and to push for a better quality of life for myself. That is why I don't have a specific weight goal I am trying to reach, I just want to be stronger, healthier, more active, less cranky and more motivated.

Replies

• dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    You are so right, most moms do exactly what you did and put their kids before them in every way possible. But think of what the habits you were teaching your kids...it was ok to eat bad EVERYDAY...I'm so proud of you for making that hard decison to be healthy. Also, it will be nice that you will have more energy to play with your daughter instead of being all tired and whatnot from taking care of your son. How has the soda thing been coming along for you?
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I love that you are sharing your journey with us! I look forward to hearing how happy your making your son as you lose weight and are able to be happy yourself :smile:
  • Vanessa1977
    Options
    I struggled more over the weekend and had my normal amounts of soda. Thhis morning I wanted one first thing, I had such a headache, but I sucked it up and had an excedrin with a glass of orange juice. Excedrin helps because it has caffeine in it to help minimize headaches.
  • LadyNay191
    Options
    It sounds like you're definitely making a change for the better!! I'm sure your kids will soon look up to you in a whole new way and taking care of your son will be even easier when you're able to be there for him in a whole new way!