Can anyone explain why?

Options
2»

Replies

• blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I remember Rosemary Conley (UK weightloss and fitness 'guru' if you don't know her!) once saying that she avoided pasta and rice for 48 hours before her weight in as they always made her weight heavier.

Maybe that's it?
  • betaleonis
    betaleonis Posts: 178
    Options
    don't stress, weight is irrelevant, really! better to count on your measurements! scales really aren't a good way to tell how much you've changed, as your weight is constantly fluctuating.

that being, said, I weigh myself every morning.. total scale junkie :)
  • Melissakay1222
    Melissakay1222 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am a daily weigher too so I hate when people bash the scales just because it doesn't work for them. I'm done losing and now in the maintenance phase so it obviously worked for me! I had something similar happen to me last week and I gained 2 pounds from eating out. It was water retention from too much sodium and it literally took me about 3-5 days for it to come back off. I think the same thing has happened to you. Keep doing what you're doing and keep drinking plenty of water and it will come off. I think you are doing fantastic!!! ;)
  • tsdaughe
    tsdaughe Posts: 88
    Options
    This is exactly why I only weigh myself once every 2-3 weeks. I can fluctuate as much at 5 lbs any given day. Curry is high in sodium so I imagine that has alot to do with it. Recently, I ate alot of sodium one day and the scale showed it for several days. If it is about that TOM the scale goes up for a good week until after its over with. Don't use the scale as a predicter of how good you are doing. I went through a phase where I didn't lose a single ounce for months and was frustrated. So I started measuring. Well I lost 4 inches in my hips and 2 inches on my bust and 1 inch on my waist before the scale ever moved. Even now I seem to have gained weight and my measurements are the same but my clothes are loser and I feel lighter. When you work out in the beginning of a new routine you tend to retain water in your muscles before your bodys adjusts. I have been logging on MFP for 200 days now. You just have to see this as a slow change and not expect fast results. As others said, try to eat more protein. I like chicken, egg whites, low sodium tuna (30 grams of protein in 1 can), fish, protein bars, shakes, etc. I suck at carbs but I do eat alot of fruit. Keep up the good work.
  • Ninhydrin
    Ninhydrin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you're going to weigh in daily use an app like Libra Weight Manager, it really helps to put things in perspective regarding daily fluctuations. This week I was up 2kgs until the water weight came off this morning. Water weight can account for a lot, and can also be as a result of training / exercising, not just salt intake.
  • sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options
    I am a daily weigher too so I hate when people bash the scales just because it doesn't work for them. I'm done losing and now in the maintenance phase so it obviously worked for me! I had something similar happen to me last week and I gained 2 pounds from eating out. It was water retention from too much sodium and it literally took me about 3-5 days for it to come back off. I think the same thing has happened to you. Keep doing what you're doing and keep drinking plenty of water and it will come off. I think you are doing fantastic!!! ;)

People bash scales because people get demotivated by them. They judge success/failure by them. You see it almost daily on here. Just because you happened to have linear losses doesn't mean other people will. They are not the best judge of successful fat loss for a lot of people, especially people who are more interested in body recomposition rather than just 'weight loss'.
  • Run4Me2Day
    Run4Me2Day Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Some lovely hormone fluctuations?

Sometimes it sucks being a woman....I was once told that by being a woman we really only get one or two good scale weeks.... But on a better note. For me personally even though I wasn't under 1200 calories I wasn't loosing...I bumped it up to 1700 and lost about 6 pounds in a month.....Everyone is different and there are alot of factors to consider.
  • kvonjohn
    kvonjohn Posts: 569 Member
    Options

People bash scales because people get demotivated by them. They judge success/failure by them. You see it almost daily on here. Just because you happened to have linear losses doesn't mean other people will. They are not the best judge of successful fat loss for a lot of people, especially people who are more interested in body recomposition rather than just 'weight loss'.

I see both sides of the argument here. I like to weigh daily so I don't obsess on not knowing but I don't hang all of my hopes on what it reads. I keep track of the weight because I need to lose weight. I have back problems and when I go to the doctor he looks at my weight not at how my clothes are fitting. But from day to day I get a better feeling and more motivation from seeing the smaller belly and my collarbone than from what the scale displayed that morning.
  • Muchmoretogive
    Muchmoretogive Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I really try not to net at 1200 but when I do a lot of exercise and have a really clean food day its harder to net at what mfp has allocated. Mfp set my goal at 1510 no idea what my tdee is as every website gives me a different result.

I will give the protein shakes a go where can I buy them from? I live in UK if that helps?

I know scales aren't the only method to check on progress and I took measurements mid April when I weighed 2lb more than I do now. Re took measurements yesterday and I have lost but I knew that as weight was less.

Hopefully I will see some improvements in next week
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    It's going to fluctuate with your cycle. Might be good to start keeping a record to see when it goes up, etc. There are a bunch of phone apps to help with that. Also, like someone mentioned, maybe you have food sensitivities and your body reacted to what you ate. Don't worry though. You'll get there.