Confusion with the 1200 cal thing...

Options
So I am a little confused. I eat about 1600 cals a day but I work out 6 days a week and burn about 400 cals so I guess I net around 1200 most days. My TDEE is 1850 with my desk job (not including exercise) so my deficit is only 250 cals on the days I dont work out and then around 650 on workout days. Sometimes I go over (usually on the weekends) but I never depreive myself I always have energy and kill my workouts and my weight loss has been slow and steady so far... I guess what I am trying to understand is all the people that are against 1200 cals a day are you speaking towards people only eating that much or netting that much? As I do only net 1200 cals a lot of days. I do not want to do any damage to my metabolism... I am 5' 6.5" and 155 lbs hoping to lose 20 to 25 more pounds but really want to maintain after. Any advice would be appreciated and my diary is open. Thanks!

Replies

• arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Oh and I should say sometimes I do not eat all my calories on weekdays. But I usually make up for it on the weekend... Thanks!
  • arains89
    Options
    Bump
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest issue is if you set for 1200 and don't eat back exercise, you end up with a net WAY below 1200, which "may" put you in starvation mode and slow down your weight loss (not to mention possibly screwing up your metabolism). I find that when my calorie budget is set in the 12-1300 calorie range, I have trouble getting above 1000. I moved my baseline up to 1500 and now try to get no less than 1300 (and higher if I've worked out much harder than usual that day - I'm generally on the sedentary side and don't formally exercise, so I'm hoping that approach will work for me long term). 1200 calories is the generally accepted lowest value for which you can get a balanced diet with at least minimum RDAs for vitamins and minerals without needing a supplement.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    u are doing great ...Big secret is to vary your calories daily! 1200 one day hard workout day 1750...just hanging out 1000...avg day 1500...weekend fun time 2400..monday 1200 ...it works like a charm!
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I too found the whole idea confusing, but yesterday I went to this website: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ and listened to "The F2F Philosophy". Now it all makes perfect sense to me, so perhaps go there and listen to that podcast (it's about 20 minutes long) and hopefully it will help you too!
  • arains89
    Options
    Good thank you for your advice! That's what I tend to do. Some of my "fun times" i don't finish logging so I know due to the few extra drinks I am over my cals once in a while and am under once and a while. I just ready all this drama and want to be sure I am not doing myself any harm by eating less certain days. I certainly never go hungry.
  • arains89
    Options
    bump