Diet Soda and Sweeteners - Effects

Options
Another thread on this board about diet coke got me thinking about what's really wrong with diet drinks/sweeteners. Someone on another forum mentioned that diet soda causes obesity because you have more sugar cravings and take in more calories because of these cravings and to just drink a regular coke in moderation. I drink about 3-5 diet drinks a week and regularly use splenda in my tea. I can't drink regular soda because it causes me to want more and more of it and all day I'm thinking about having a coke. Whereas when I drink a diet soda, I can barely finish the whole glass/bottle.

I hear a lot of hearsay about these being bad for you, but never anything to back this up. So I thought that maybe instead of saying what we heard from someone else, we can post some credible studies and statistics.

Replies

• kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I will tell you why diet soda is bad for you... The carbonation stretches your stomach so the bigger your stomach, the lower your hunger threshold and the easier you become hungry. I have often wondered why this information isn't out there. My bariatric surgeon did a demonstration of this for me on a pigs stomach and it was amazing. I have not had a soda in almost eight years and don't miss it a bit.
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    ^^^That sounds really interesting? Is there anything to back it up? I'll try doing a google search.
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    All I can tell you is that my surgeon was explaining to me why she didn't want me to eat/drink certain foods post-op and the reason for not drinking soda of any kind was as I explained above. Good luck!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    watch Sweet Misery...there is a doctor and a scientist on there explaining the effects of aspartame
  • Stewie316
    Options

This is from the article:

Fowler is quick to note that a study of this kind does not prove that diet soda causes obesity. More likely, she says, it shows that something linked to diet soda drinking is also linked to obesity.

"A lot of people say, 'I am drinking a diet soft drink because that is better for me. But soft drinks by themselves are not the root of America's obesity problem," she says. "You can't go into a fast-food restaurant and say, 'Oh, it's OK because I had diet soda.' If you don't do anything else but switch to a diet soft drink, you are not going to lose weight."
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options

This is from the article:

Fowler is quick to note that a study of this kind does not prove that diet soda causes obesity. More likely, she says, it shows that something linked to diet soda drinking is also linked to obesity.

"A lot of people say, 'I am drinking a diet soft drink because that is better for me. But soft drinks by themselves are not the root of America's obesity problem," she says. "You can't go into a fast-food restaurant and say, 'Oh, it's OK because I had diet soda.' If you don't do anything else but switch to a diet soft drink, you are not going to lose weight."

Exactly. I think if you limit it you can be okay. I can't stand the taste of diet soda though :laugh: But I try to limit my regular soda to 1-2 a day.. and eventually I wanna drink 1-2 a week.
  • mysi019
    mysi019 Posts: 55
    Options
    Diet pepsi is my down fall, i drink so much per day. When i am at work where i sit for 12 hours a day i sometimes consume 4-5 cans per shift. I really dont like anything else period. I dont like regular pop becuase it tastes to sugary for me. Anyone have any suggestions? I cant tolerate milk. I have now committed myself to drink one full glass of water before i can have a pop. I havent really cut down on the pop, i just seem to go to the bathroom alot. Sorry for going on and on about this. Any one have any suggestions.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda because of the taste its not as much of a syrup taste and I drink them when I eat but not with the thought of losing weight at all. But I am not drinking hundreds of calories either that's how I think of it. Does anyone else find the new quizznos and with the cats annoying sorry its on now.
  • JForbrizzio
    Options
    There's a video on hulu called "sweet misery" that talks about how bad aspartame/equal (which is in everything diet) may be for a persons nervous system and how it may increase brain cancer. They try to break down the science of it, but it isn't produced too well. Personally, since I've stopped drinking the additive I haven't had any panic attacks.
  • Stewie316
    Options
    I drink diet soda because of the taste its not as much of a syrup taste and I drink them when I eat but not with the thought of losing weight at all. But I am not drinking hundreds of calories either that's how I think of it. Does anyone else find the new quizznos and with the cats annoying sorry its on now.

I love those cats. Do you remember the weird spong monkey's? Now, the commercial song is stuck in my head. :)
  • nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    my newspaper had an article about this just today. it talked about the already mentioned study conducted that the artificial sweeteners cause cravings for sugar and carbohydrates. it also talked about the sweeteners in diet soda having negative impacts on the amount of calcium in your bones. it like sucks it from your bones or something like that...but the article said that unless you drink 80 (yes, 80) cans of soda per DAY, you shouldn't worry about it too much. it said that if you're really worried about it, you should just make sure to take in extra servings of dairy products every day, and to take a calcium supplement daily as well.

i personally live for diet soda. i drink it every day, but i'm not addicted to it. i don't HAVE to have it. i gave up any and all soda up for lent two years back (6 weeks no soda) and i survived fine with tea and water, and i honestly noticed no difference in my sugar cravings or energy levels during that period. i'm on weight watchers. i watch my points and calories. i eat 5 fruit/veggie servings a day, along with 2-3 calcium servings a day, and have pretty much cut out beef from my diet. i only eat sweets once a week at the very most. they've taken everything from me but my diet coke. as long as i can keep my diet coke, i'll be happy!
  • jlizgar
    jlizgar Posts: 104
    Options
    No, I dont have a study and statistics to post to back up how I feel (although I dont doubt I could probably find something if I had the time to look for it right now amongst the chaos of my 3 rowdy kiddos!) but I personally would rather consume REAL sugar, naturally occuring sugar than an artificially made one.... Have any of you ever wondered why it is the obesity problem is SO great in this country (its not just because we eat too much, its also what is IN our foods), why so many are sick & ill and why cancers are so prevalant...look back to the days when they didnt have all these chemicals and artificials in their foods, when your food came straight from the farm and was fresh...folks were not obese like they are today, they were healthier! It really isnt too hard to figure it out!
    If you like the fizz of soda...why not at least drink a soda that is sweetened with a natural sweetener like stevia or natural cane sugar? I know the cane sugar isnt 0 calories but for Goodness sakes at least its natural!
    I dont mean to harp on anyone, I used to drink a LOT of coke & pepsi, a LOT, but enough was enough! I quit cold turkey (which I know isnt the best way to stop for everyone) but I knew that if I ***** footed around with it, id never truly give it up! AND, my hubby still drinks it, but I just have to be strong, I insist that he not drink it around me and keeps it put away in the pantry so I dont see it every time I go into the kitchen....so far its been over a month with not even so much as a sip! Im very proud of myself and I think if *I* can do it, ANYONE can do it!
    Plus, ive heard that you can loose upwards of 15lbs a year simply from cutting out soda from your diet! THAT is good enough reason for me, besides...I feel much better not drinking it! You can definately tell a big difference once you finally stop drinking it!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    Options
    No, I dont have a study and statistics to post to back up how I feel (although I dont doubt I could probably find something if I had the time to look for it right now amongst the chaos of my 3 rowdy kiddos!) but I personally would rather consume REAL sugar, naturally occuring sugar than an artificially made one.... Have any of you ever wondered why it is the obesity problem is SO great in this country (its not just because we eat too much, its also what is IN our foods), why so many are sick & ill and why cancers are so prevalant...look back to the days when they didnt have all these chemicals and artificials in their foods, when your food came straight from the farm and was fresh...folks were not obese like they are today, they were healthier! It really isnt too hard to figure it out!
    If you like the fizz of soda...why not at least drink a soda that is sweetened with a natural sweetener like stevia or natural cane sugar? I know the cane sugar isnt 0 calories but for Goodness sakes at least its natural!
    I dont mean to harp on anyone, I used to drink a LOT of coke & pepsi, a LOT, but enough was enough! I quit cold turkey (which I know isnt the best way to stop for everyone) but I knew that if I ***** footed around with it, id never truly give it up! AND, my hubby still drinks it, but I just have to be strong, I insist that he not drink it around me and keeps it put away in the pantry so I dont see it every time I go into the kitchen....so far its been over a month with not even so much as a sip! Im very proud of myself and I think if *I* can do it, ANYONE can do it!
    Plus, ive heard that you can loose upwards of 15lbs a year simply from cutting out soda from your diet! THAT is good enough reason for me, besides...I feel much better not drinking it! You can definately tell a big difference once you finally stop drinking it!

I completely agree. My dad heard something on the news about artificial sweetners, so he switched back to regular dr pepper, but i have been soda free for 2 days haha. But look back at our grandparents time, they ate a LOT
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    Options

I completely agree. My dad heard something on the news about artificial sweetners, so he switched back to regular dr pepper, but i have been soda free for 2 days haha. But look back at our grandparents time, they ate a LOT of food and somehow wern't morbidly obese? And i'm talking heavy cream, cheese, breads, fatty meats, all that good stuff....us as people have become sedintary and pumped full of who knows how many chemicals. But to each their own, we are all sharing one thing and that is the goal to better health!
  • JayMiss
    JayMiss Posts: 5
    Options
    I have a Arachnoid cyst on my brain and was told by my neurologist to stay away from aspartame. He basically said the chemical can have damaging long term affects. That was enough to scare me into staying away from it. I haven't done a lot of research on it because it is not in my diet but the way I see it is if my neurologist is warning me it can harm my brain...it can't be good for anyone.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Diet soda's have aspartame which studies show have cause weight gain because of sugar contained in it. Google aspartame for more info on it. You have to do what works for you. There are many who drink diet coke and are able to maintain and lose weight. Everything is relative.

Just like with cancer studies. No one knows for sure anything. So all you have is what the studies show and it is up to you to make your own deductions and decisions.

I try to limit stuff with aspartame in it. For me it seems to make a difference. I am not always craving more which causes me to graze.

Hope this helps! Good luck to you!
  • Stewie316
    Options

America is so obese because we have supersize everyday. Also, the poor happens to be the most obese because the bad food is so much cheaper than good food. The reason people gain weight drinking diet soda is because, the only thing that they may change in their diet is soda. They also end up drinking diet soda and thinking they can have that extra cookie. I believe it's all in our mindset and education. If we were more educated and good food were a little cheaper and we changed our mindset to not finding a quick easy diet, then I believe America wouldn't be so obese.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    Options
    I majorly cut down on diet sodas the past couple weeks and i haven't had any in 2 days and i can attest that i have not been craving any sugars...ok well i did for icecream last night, but because i went to a church gathering and they had peach cobbler and cookies...but i was a person who at 12 midnight would go to the gas station to get a candy bar...or 3...because i needed that sweet fx
  • pbkfit70
    pbkfit70 Posts: 38
    Options
    Aaaah

I've just read the link

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20050613/drink-more-diet-soda-gain-more-weight

I drink maybe 10 diet cokes a week. There's no question now .... I have to cut them out!!!:sad: