vitamix

Options
Anyone out there own a Vitamix blender? I bought the Nutrabullit in dec but there are a few drawbacks to it, Not much room in the container and cutting up veggies and fruits. Also i notice that as time wore on, i have to turn the container a few times when its on the base of the machine to get it to work. I heard rave reviews about the vitamix even though its somewhat on the pricey side

Replies

• lrichelle
    lrichelle Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have one and love it! We bought ours as a refurbished or demo unit, so it was a fraction of the retail price.
  • sapf
    sapf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Anyone out there own a Vitamix blender? I bought the Nutrabullit in dec but there are a few drawbacks to it, Not much room in the container and cutting up veggies and fruits. Also i notice that as time wore on, i have to turn the container a few times when its on the base of the machine to get it to work. I heard rave reviews about the vitamix even though its somewhat on the pricey side

I wanted a vitamix for 7 years before I took the plunge. So so happy with my vitamix. I think it is probably my most used cooking appliance.
  • elmo0901
    elmo0901 Posts: 7
    Options
    Love mine. Use it at least once a day. Another choice is a blendtec. Check each out, as both offer refurbished ones and payment options. And I also started with the nutribullet but "outgrew" it :-)
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, the thing is AMAZING. I saved three months for ours, bought it at Costco (which runs "shows" periodically) My daughter has been on a smoothy kick, frozen fruit, ton of ice and she makes them THICK. It handles them with no problem.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Love mine too.
  • healthyeating555
    Options
    I might have to do that. The refurb ones cost in the mid $200 range but i think it might be worth it even though it was slightly used
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I just got one for my birthday (750 pro) I love it!
  • stevelowery148
    Options
    Yeah I own one as well (the 5200 model) and love it. I probably use mine like 2-3 times a day so it's certainly paid for itself.

I know what you mean about other blenders not blending fruits and veggies enough. I went through like 4 blenders before I finally gave in and bought the Vitamix, including the Ninja which kinda sucked too. All of them would leave big chunks of greens in the smoothies so it was pretty nasty to try and choke them down. The Vitamix liquifies everything though including spinach, kale, and other leafy greens so you won't even know they are in the smoothie.

You can aso use it for soups, nut butters, salsas, and even a healthier ice cream.

Here is a pretty good review I just found that goes into all the details of the Vitamix and how it works: http://www.charlottesvineyard.com/vitamix-5200-review/ . There's also a coupon code at that link to get you free shipping which will save you about $25 (the code is 06-008159 if you don't want to click over to find it).

Oh yeah and like a few others mentioned, you can just get the refurbished model which works just as well as a brand new one and comes with the same warranty. It will save you around $100 or so.

Hope that helps!
  • healthyeating555
    Options
    The refurb goes for $352 with tax and free shipping . Not bad deal
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    No.
    I paid a fortune for that Ninja tho.
    I used it 3x
    Da *kitten*?
    I was hoping once the weather got warmer I'd be making many fun icey drinks..
    Im lazy right now.
    Lets hope I get my money's worth.
  • Dr_Waffles
    Dr_Waffles Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    The summer circuit is coming, wait to go to a fair or something. They usually have better prices on a vitamix. I'd say they are worth the higher price because they are built to last.
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    i have a brevel. love it.
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have a blendtec, which I think is about on par with the vitamix. The difference between this thing and my old kitchenaid is indescribable. It's stupid expensive, but if you do a lot of blending, it's worth it... or drop some hints to whoever buys you gifts next time you're due for some ;-) That's how I got mine.
  • pebblesnj
    pebblesnj Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    To those of you who use the Vitamix - tell me more! These days, I am making juices (a friend gave me a Jack LaLanne juicer, which is OK for a starter) and occasionally throwing the juice into the blender with some ice, and avocado, and making something FANTASTIC.

I want to understand if spinach and kale and even broccoli can be whipped up into a smoothie. (Of course, I'd add other things, but I like to add a LOT of spinach). Not sure if I even need a Vitamix, but I want to learn more so I can make an informed decision. Thanks!
  • janimei
    janimei Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Vitamix incorporates everything I put into the container--except dehydrated shredded coconut bits. I added raw spinach to all my morning smoothies for 2 weeks, and they disappeared into the liquid.
    Then I discovered the spinach iron was binding up my lower GI tract, so dropped the spinach.
    Bought it at a Costco in-store demo. The recipe book that came with it has several avocado-based recipes that sound good.

My Vitamix (6200 series, I think) has a program/setting for frozen desserts, one for hot soups, and one for smoothies; it begins slowly, builds speed, and eventually slows down and shuts itself off (very convenient). Also bought the extra container for dry ingredients (milling my own flour etc). You can grind your own meat, make your own nut butter--do a dozen disparate chores.
    And it's made in America.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I make at least one green smoothie in my VM everyday! I blend anything and everything and it always ends up smooth and amazing (well, unless you throw nasty ingredients in there! There have been a few "interesting" smoothies.) My husband bought me mine about 6 years ago for my birthday and it has paid for itself over and over again.

Not only do we do smoothies daily but I also make hollandaise sauce, blender pancakes or waffles using the whole grain (ends up nice and smooth) "ice cream" type fruit concoctions, fruit purees to pour over other stuff or to freeze into popsicles, blended drinks and the best hot cocoa you'll ever have. I've even blended up peels and egg shells to speed up my composting.
  • apothecarist
    apothecarist Posts: 193
    Options
    I've been using my newly acquired VM 300 pro every day (sometimes 2-3 times daily), for the past couple of weeks now. I love mine. I make lots of spinach-based smoothies--blends beautifully. I've also made smoothies w/carrots, cucumbers, celery, apples, as well as dips with broccoli and pureed beans in it. It's become one of my favorite kitchen "gadgets", along w/my food scale of course! :)
  • mokoko123
    mokoko123 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I wish I had one - they are out of my price range. I got a Ninja Professional. For my needs it works pretty well, just the occ small chunk of ice if I don't blend long enough.
  • healthyeating555
    Options
    i think the refurb is worth the investment but like you said , its expensive and with money tight all over its not easy
  • elmo0901
    elmo0901 Posts: 7
    Options
    I did wait and got mine with my tax refund @ Costco since it turned out to be same as refurbed model. It is truly the most loved appliance in my kitchen. I would be at an utter loss without a green smoothie for breakfast. I change my greens up though- spinach, kale and Swiss chard. Good luck!