Going Meatless Four Days a Week

Options
I am thinking about going meatless four days a week. I love meat, but thought it would help with calories and overall health. Does anyone else limit their meat intake? I am not interested in going vegetarian, because like I said, I love my chicken, fish, pig, and cow! :) Any advice would be helpful... especially when it comes to grilling and stuff like that. Thanks!

Replies

• janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    While I don't really schedule meat free days, I often go for days without meat. The calorie count depends a lot on how you cook the meat, ingredients used, etc.
  • KathieDee
    KathieDee Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm on three weeks without any chicken, pork, beef, or turkey. I eat a lot of seafood. I'm trying to go without meat for three months.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I have given up read meat before and it was helpful in losing weight.
  • godiva99
    godiva99 Posts: 78
    Options
    I've been doing this for 3 weeks, juicing, eating more veggies/salads and coffee 1 or 2 a week.
    In my attempt to stay away from meet, I made a large pot of black beans and added that do my meals...say in a stuffed pepper with quinoa, veggie and arugula pita pockets etc...and I gained 2lbs!

While I'm now paying closer attention to what I sub my food with I plan to continue curbing my meat intake for health (not weight) and humane reasons. I have felt better, with more energy than I was before. I was passing out on the couch after I picked up my daughter from school almost every day. Not anymore :-)

It also does good mentally...knowing that you're working hard for your self, your body and health plays a good one on you. It improves your self esteem and overall mood.
  • MeganWillet
    MeganWillet Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies! I'll see how it goes. If I like it, great! If not, well, I'll go back to eating meat whenever.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good idea for meat eaters who want to eat less of it to try going vegetarian just for a week (or longer if you can keep it up with it.) You'll find great new ideas for meals that will stick with you even once you start eating meat again. I go for months without eating meat, then go back to it, but even when I'm eating meat I always substitute green lentils instead of ground meat in my spaghetti sauce now.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about going meatless four days a week. I love meat, but thought it would help with calories and overall health. Does anyone else limit their meat intake? I am not interested in going vegetarian, because like I said, I love my chicken, fish, pig, and cow! :) Any advice would be helpful... especially when it comes to grilling and stuff like that. Thanks!

My advice would be to make sure you know how to replace the protein you'll be losing those days. You need protein.

I eat meat, poultry, or fish every single day...though I do limit my consumption of beef to 1 or 2 times per week. Without the meat I'd never hit my protein goals.
  • AlexisJ330
    AlexisJ330 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I bought a vegetarian cookbook and it has some great recipes. I don't miss the meat at all. Last night's poblano pepper, mango, black bean quesidillas were great and healthy.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I limit everything once it prevents me from hitting my daily and macro goals. But up to that point, it's open season on whatever I want.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I have never in my life gone a day without meat. Never will.
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think it would be an issue f any sort, so long as you balance your proteins and omega fatty acids with other sources. Seafood is particularly rich in these and this helps with brain function, just "food for thought." I want to increase my seafood intake and decrease my red meat intake. Good luck with whatever you find fits your lifestyle!!