This just isn't the same.

Options
Swissmiss
Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
I have tried spaghetti squash as a replacement for spaghetti noodles. No one liked it. It didn't taste like spaghetti, it tasted more like a moist vegetable. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• cb83580
    cb83580 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    What am I doing wrong?

Expecting it to be exactly like spaghetti, most likely. It's not the same, but it is very good!

I like to take it after it's cooked and dry-fry it for a bit to get some of the moisture out before adding the pasta sauce to it. I've found that it can be a little too watery, sometimes.

But again, if you're expecting it to be exactly like the pasta noodles you're used to, expect disappointment. It's not the same...but it is something that tastes great with some pasta sauce!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I like to take it after it's cooked and dry-fry it for a bit to get some of the moisture out before adding the pasta sauce to it. I've found that it can be a little too watery, sometimes.

Thank you so much for this advice. I think that will help a lot.
  • kbailey374
    kbailey374 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have tried spaghetti squash as a replacement for spaghetti noodles. No one liked it. It didn't taste like spaghetti, it tasted more like a moist vegetable. What am I doing wrong?

lol, nothing. it's a poor substitute. Try corn spaghetti, it is pasta made w/ corn (if you're not doing white/wheat) it is "okay," but def. better than spag. squash
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I'm not a squash person in general, so I try to avoid it, lol. I tend to just go for 100% whole wheat pasta, especially when I have the time to make it myself.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    I tried it as well and did not like it! I love squash, but was not overly impressed with the spaghetti squash, so will not be making it again.
  • kavanaghev
    kavanaghev Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You could also just try combining it with regular or whole wheat pasta so that you can eat just one serving of pasta but your bowl will be more full and your tummy more full because your meal looked bigger, without losing the taste and texture of normal pasta. When I started out I realized that I often wanted seconds just because I was used to larger servings than the actual serving size of whatever I was eating. I started putting 2 cups fresh spinach in my bowl with one serving pasta/couscous/whatever on top and it was delicious and more than enough. If you are a pasta lover, substitutes will likely never be satisfying and they don't have to replace the food you love. I have some penne pasta that is 10g protein per serving, it's amazing for hitting my goal protein intake, while still getting my carb on.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Bah just have whole grain spaghetti. Why do you want to stop eating pasta?
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    You're not doing anything wrong. Spaghetti squash just looks like spaghetti, but it tastes awful, in my opinion.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    THIS. Substituting something for a "healthier" option should come with the expectation that it's NOT going to be the same.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ramonafrincu
    ramonafrincu Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    THIS. Substituting something for a "healthier" option should come with the expectation that it's NOT going to be the same.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    QFT
  • juniperleaves
    Options
    Well it's never going to taste exactly like spaghetti! But it's a pretty good substitute if you like the taste.

If you're just trying to add more veggies, I'd suggest mixing it in with the regular pasta instead of just eating spaghetti squash on it's own (like stated above).
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    *channels Alton brown*

With cooking in odd ways, you can use science to get to where you want to go. To take so.e of the moisture out, and hit the consistentcy that you want and the right texture, cook it twice. After cooking it once and shredding it, put it in your chill chest to suck the moisture clean out of it, maybe an hour or two, and then you can bring it up to temperature any way you like, oven, in a pan with a touch of olive oil.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    I have found the best trick to cooking Spaghetti Squash i HIGH HEAT, 450 for an hour cut in half face down on a sheetpan, not as mushy, the strings are tight and will hold sauce. Will it ever be pasta? NO, but it is very good and has its own flavor.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    eata you real spaghet; isa gud fo you!

chef-3.gif
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Agree with the posters that said you can't expect it to taste like spaghetti. I just roast it and eat it with a little butter and some seasonings...but I just found a good recipe if you want to give it a go:

http://www.chow.com/recipes/13563-roasted-spaghetti-squash-with-parmigiano-reggiano
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    What am I doing wrong?

Not eating regular spaghetti.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I'm always telling my wife (a picky eater) .. be more zen about your food. Taste it for what it IS, not for what you want it to be.
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    What am I doing wrong?

Not eating regular spaghetti.

A+. Get a food scale. Get some spaghetti. Weigh out a portion dry. Boil it. Cover it in homemade sauce with veggies. Put in your mouth. Go nom nom nom.
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-5928-1367888832-3.gif
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It's like expecting cauliflower to taste like pizza or potatoes. No.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Eat real spaghetti.