yoga socks?

Options
Kpablo
Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
Does any one wear yoga socks? They're gripped on the bottom and the toes are out.

The past week I've been so distracted with my fit slowly slipping on my mat I lose all train of thought and become annoyed which totally is against the point of yoga.

Any ideas?

Replies

• castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Hmm... that happens to me too. My problem is that the socks don't move (not yoga socks, just regular socks), but my feet slide inside the socks. Maybe making sure the mat is dust free would help. I dunno. I'm not a yoga expert!
  • Kpablo
    Options
    I just bought a brand new mat yesterday :(
  • mp1117
    mp1117 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I tried them for a bit, then chucked them. (more like pushed them to the back of the drawer). They never fit right and I flt like they would slip a bit and pinch my toes. The instructor (yogi?) said it's just better to do it sans socks. Just try and make sure your mat is clean and dry.
  • clareyoung80
    clareyoung80 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Well, I use yoga socks to work out to cardio dvds on my laminate flooring and they're good for me. I don't have a proper yoga mat, just an old foam camping mat and the socks slip on that.

I think fit may be the main factor to yoga sock success...if you get them from Amazon make sure to read the reviews as they often note what shoe size they are and what size they ordered and how well they fit.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I do yoga with and without the socks... I love the socks because of the slipping issues but sometimes the will slide up and pinch in between my toes. In my opinion Id rather deal with occasionally readjusting my socks then slipping...
  • liftreadphilosophize
    liftreadphilosophize Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Check out Yoga Paws. They're socks and gloves that have yoga mat-like material where you would grip or stand. They're intended to be used in place of a mat, but it might be useful for you in addition to a mat if you slip a lot.

I tend to have sweaty feet and palms when I work out (gross, but oh well!) so I sometimes put a hand towel on my mat for my hands when I know I'll be holding one position for a while (aka, wheel pose).
  • hungrywhodat
    hungrywhodat Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    They sound hot
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I have a pair but find them really uncomfortable. In some poses where you're putting a lot of weight on your feet (the times you would slip) they seem to pull up between my toes too much and it hurts! The ones I have are too bulky between the toes to start with to be really comfortable.
  • Kpablo
    Options
    It seems I only slip in downward dog, although I only do about 15 downward dogs it's enough to give me anxiety about slipping. (GOD I SOUND SO WEIRD haha)

These are the ones I was looking into http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=yoga+sock&category=0|All|matchallpartial|all+categories&lnk=snav_sbox_yoga+sock

For 10 dollars I could just try it i guess. It's either that or a yoga towel, but the yoga towels are like $50! And I just spent $50 on a new mat -_-
  • Kpablo
    Options
    They sound hot

They're very fashion forward. haha
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I thought of a solution last night: buy some of that powder that freestyle rock climbers use to grip with and sprinkle it on the ends of your mat. That ought to do the trick! :)
  • jillbarnett
    Options
    Try ToeSox or Shashi brand. Those are my favorites for maintaining grip the mat and not sliding because I'm sweaty.

Don't bother with the socks from Target (just my opinion). They didn't stay on my foot very well. You can order ToeSox from Amazon.
  • VintageFit
    VintageFit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    is there something similar for your hands? I don't slide with my feet, only my somewhat 'sweaty' hands during Downward Dog and such poses...
  • Kpablo
    Options
    is there something similar for your hands? I don't slide with my feet, only my somewhat 'sweaty' hands during Downward Dog and such poses...

Yes their are gloves that are gripped too.
  • VintageFit
    VintageFit Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Yes their are gloves that are gripped too.
    Yay! Gonna browse Amazon for those immediately.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    This probably sounds weird, but I sprayed a light layer of hair spray on one of my yoga mats (a cheap one that was always slippy). Made it sticky enough that I didn't slide, but not too sticky that it bothered me.

But I eventually just bought a really good mat :smile:
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I just flex the opposite muscles to stay in place. Makes the pose harder. A slippy downward dog is about the same thing as a partial ROM standing ab wheel.

Poor man's ab wheel is to do downard dog on hardwoods with wool socks on hands/feet