Wine-Lovers, I need recommendations!

Options

Replies

• fitgal05
    fitgal05 Posts: 149
    Options
    Wine taste at your local wine shop. It's cheap and you can see what you like. I live close to really nice wineries and it's so much fun on a nice day to make a girls day of it. I like Reisling, and for reds Pino Noir. Have fun finding what you like.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you live, you can get local wines usually for as cheap or cheaper than big brands. You can try the local specialties and support the local industry :-)
  • momo9128706
    momo9128706 Posts: 45
    Options
    My great grandpa was a wine maker so we usually get some from him but since he's passed and we've since run out =/ So now if we really want wine, I'll go cheap and get barefoot brand, it's only like 6 bucks a bottle. Or Verde, it's cheap to more like champaign.
  • fitbugfreak
    fitbugfreak Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    If you life in Ontario go down to the wineries especially Konzelmans - the best price for Cab Sab and great taste -
    this is a dry wine which is the only wine I will drink but I'm sure they have others you will enjoy!
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I like Robert Mondavi Sauvignon Blanc, cheap and delicious
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joe's load up on some Charles Shaw for $3 a bottle or pay a buck more and get some from Blue Fin... the Pinot Noir is my personal favorite!
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Wollersheim Prairie du Fume - the only delicious Wisconsin wine. It's similar to a pinot grigio.
  • Amyp7777
    Amyp7777 Posts: 79
    Options
    In the spring look for Rose'. Lots of them out there reasonably priced. I recommend Toad Hollow (owned by the late brother of Robin Williams). Their Rose is fantastic and (I think) around or under $10.00. Rose is light and crisp. Great to try if you don't like red.

Also, I just wanted to say that boxed wine has come a looooong way. Try Black Box or Bandit. Boxed wine is a great choice for people who only drink maybe one or two glasses but don't want to waste the whole bottle. It stays fresher much longer than the bottle and it is of course better for the environment. Backpackers love boxed wine like Bandit that come in smaller containers. Much lighter carrying that than a glass bottle!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Painted Turtle
    Two Oceans
    Fat B@stard
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I like both burgundy, and Lambrusco but when I'm in the mood for something sweet plum wine really hits the spot. Takara makes a cheap bottle and it doesn't taste half bad.

Please note that I no longer drink, so my comments/opinion on wine is more or less in retrospect.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm cheap and love sweet wines so Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling is one of my favorites. :smile:

I second this. I live near Woodinville, WA where the Chateau Ste. Michelle winery is. I can usually find a good bottle for anywhere between $6 on sale and $12 off sale. The normal stuff is great...the Cellar Masters Riesling is awesome. I'm a huge fan of their gewurztraminer.

If you have Chateau St. Michelle wine available in your area I highly recommend it.
  • MichelleMac58
    MichelleMac58 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Love Chilean wine...especially red (my fav is a merlot for a full bodied taste or malbec) with a tenderloin steak and salad. You will get a great wine with a great price in the Chile section every time. A white wine for me would be a reisling as I don't like tartness in a wine thouh there are some nice pinot's out there!
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to anyone who tells you to drink apothic red. It tastes like low quality boxed wine to me.
    I find the best way to try new wines is to find a bottle priced to your liking that comes from a good region, Argentina produces some AMAZING bottles. Australian Shiraz makes me happy every time.

There are a lot of really great wines coming out of California and British Colombia (not that Ontario and Nova Scotia wines are anything to sneeze at) which are really reasonable as well.

Check out some different bottles.. Suggestions:

Barefoot makes amazing wines that are always priced well, As does Naked grape (un-oaked - if you're into that sort of thing), painted Turtle (I've found really pleasant in the past but recent vintages aren't totally awesome in my books), Senora desert is a bit cheaper but fairly pleasant, Therapy (CANNOT say enough good about therapy wines- holy WOW), Lindeman's- you cannot go wrong with Lindeman's. Wolfblass is pretty good, Long Flats produces a to die for shiraz.

My favourite bottles are acutally Ittalian: Bolla Valpolicella Classico and Valpolicella Folonari.

So I guess I really like wine...
  • slfordstthomas
    slfordstthomas Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've been enjoying Cupcake Vineyard's Red Velvet for a couple months now! So so good!

Been wanting to try Layer Cake as well. haha

The Cupcake Sauvignon Blanc is great, although I hear Layer Cake is VERY sweet. Good luck!
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Gato Negro Cabernet (Chilean). Under $10.00 and delish! :drinker:
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Both of these are under $10
    White- Pine Ridge Viogner Chenin Blanc
    Red- Dreaming Tree Crushed Red
  • pmcfarland68
    Options
    I love Oliver Soft Red and Oliver Camelot which is a white wine. Priced around $9
  • Becksga
    Becksga Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I like whatever wine is being poured!

:flowerforyou:
  • dennik15
    dennik15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Kendall Jackson and Robert Mondavi are my favorties for reds
    Robert Mondavi has a really nice Blush mmm blush
    Robert Mondavi has good whites too

Do I sense a pattern? :tongue:

I also like Mondavi whites...my favorite is the Private Selection Chardonnay. Oh my, may have to stop at the liquor store on the way home...
  • boothekm
    boothekm Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    MOSCATO (any brand) is the BEST!!! I can usually find a bottle for around $5!!